Floor tom head on 18 inch kick

alairock

Just bought a jazz kit, and was wondering what you all though about using an 18" floor tom head for my 18" bass drum batter head.

Good idea or bad idea?

If its a good idea, what kind of head would you suggest?

Skyler

No problem, just about any head will work as a bass drum batter.
What specific head did you have in mind?

I was thinking about the Aquarian Performance II Drumhead or the Evans EC2 SST Clear Batter Drumhead

But I AM open to suggestions.

The price is less for tom heads than most kick heads, which is why I was thinking of going with a floor tom head than a "bass drum" head.

Skyler

That is a good choice, I have used those in the past on my toms and also 18 inch bass.
I liked those heads best when they were tuned slightly tighter than Aquarian recommended.

A coated single, or 2 ply head also works great.
Ambassador or Emperor for example.

a head is a head, there's no such a thing a "tom heads". for many yeaars years drummers have used in the bass drum the same heads that they used in their toms. now the industry is putting labels on everything.
bonzo used an emperor in the bass drum in most of his drum sets and sounded awesome.

a head is a head, there's no such a thing a "tom heads". for many yeaars years drummers have used in the bass drum the same heads that they used in their toms. now the industry is putting labels on everything.
bonzo used an emperor in the bass drum in most of his drum sets and sounded awesome.

This isn't exactly the case. Bass drum heads are made with a different hoop to work with the counter hoop of a bass drum. Tom heads have a lower profile hoop, which may still work with a bass drum but there isn't any guarantee.

I use an 18" G Plus on my jazz kit and it sounds fantastic (more of a wide open sound).

This isn't exactly the case. Bass drum heads are made with a different hoop to work with the counter hoop of a bass drum. Tom heads have a lower profile hoop, which may still work with a bass drum but there isn't any guarantee.

I use an 18" G Plus on my jazz kit and it sounds fantastic (more of a wide open sound).

"...May still work... isn't any guarantee"?

Not sure I understand, Either the tom head will work or it will not. Sounds like you haven't tried it.

I'm buying the Aquarian's recommended above. I'll post a review on them when I'm done.

Just got Aquarian Studio X Coated for my 18" kick, and here is my short review.

First off, they are coated. The more I use coated heads, the more I like them, and they sound really good in all drums. I just like the control the sound has, and it seems to get to the tone/sound I am looking for much quicker, especially on my jazz kit. (Sporting now G1 Coated heads on the toms, and the Studio X coated kick)

As for the sound of the kick, I feel there is much more attack, but it retains a lot off the low end, without much ringing, no need for a pillow anymore. Also when kicked softly there is more definition in each stroke.

Last but not least, coated just looks sexy IMO. And $15 is a drop in the bucket for a good kick head.

Skyler

Good choice, I really like the Studio-X Coated.
I have never used one on my bass, but I use them on the toms on two of my kits.
I was thinking of trying one on my 16 inch bass jungle kit.
The Remo Powerstroke 3 is another good head that I have used on my 18 inch bass.

Yes, The hoop of a bass drum head is slightly different from a tom head.
I have never had a problem using a tom head on my smaller bass drums.
I do usually buy dedicated bass drum heads for my smaller bass drums but I have found that tom heads will work fine.
JMHO!

One last thing to add. If you look through the bass drum head selection offered by Evans, you will find that they don't make bass drum heads for 16 inch bass drums.
These kits have hoops on the bass drum that are the same as larger bass drums such as 18 inch and up.
Tom heads work on these 16 inch bass kits.
Other manufacturers make 16 inch bass drum heads.

Last edited:
"...May still work... isn't any guarantee"?

Not sure I understand, Either the tom head will work or it will not. Sounds like you haven't tried it.

I've actually tried this on several different drums and, as I mentioned, there isn't any guarantee that using a tom head with a bass drum hoop will always work. It depends on the hoop. Bass drum heads are made with a different type of hoop specifically for use with a bass hoop instead of a rim.

Back