The man that I have become!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I am almost 52 years old now and I just spent some time (the past week) looking through my numerous photo albums and reflecting on my life. I looked at all the pics that depict my life to this point. (Far to many to post and bore all of you) My early years, My wedding, My children, etc. I saw good times and not such good times, But they were my times! All of them! I have been left with a nice, secure feeling of my 50 plus years. I have come to the conclusion that I am extremely happy with the "Middle Aged Man That I Have Become". I like myself better now than I have liked myself at any other time in my life. I feel confident even during these hard times. (I have seen them before and I lived through them) I am beginning to see aspects of what can be called "Wisdom". I never in the past thought that I would ever think of myself as having "Wisdom," But I really do think that I posses this quality that is associated with an older person. It's not so bad being "Old". I have aches and pains, But I am comfortable about ME! That is what really counts, Being comfortable and adjusted with Yourself! Have any of you, "other old farts" had this same good feeling? Does it last?

Thanks! for sharing your life experiences, Bob.

I admire your courage and balls, to post something very personal. We don't get "Old", We get "Interesting" as time goes by, said in my Country.

Wisdom: Ability to apply knowledge or experience or understanding or common sense and insight.

An proverb says: You don't have to be old, to be wise.

Best Regards,

I'm 32 years old and 2 words come to mind... "What happened?"

I hear stories of how life is fun and a wonderful learning experience. I look forward to the day I don't feel pain anymore, even if that means my existence comes to an end. I welcome that day.

Great post Bob.

I like the way you've described the feel of getting older. Liking the person you've become, with a touch of wisdom that you didn't associate with yourself earlier.

My experiences have a similar groove. I had what my parents described as a 'troubled' childhood and I was a very angry young man. Looking back, I did'nt like what I saw in the rear view mirror.

But somewhere along the road, things changed. Maybe it took me a little time to see things differently. 15 years. Marriage, and kids helped.

Today, I kinda feel the way you feel. My knees can feel it if I walk 2 flights up, but my heart and soul in the nicest place its ever been. And this despite some very tough choices that life has thrown at me.

wow! what a thing to post on a 'drum' forum. thanks thought

im still young, 19, i still have a lot to learn.

i hope that what i do today wont be a regret tomorrow and that i can live to be grateful of every dicision i made, a good post, thanks a lot for the insipriation and hope it brings to me.

x

Growing old is inevitable, growing up (or acting old) is optional. That's what I always say. Even though I am only 22 :)

Despite my young age, I can relate to what you are feeling; I have changed a great deal over the last 5 years, maturing (obviously without growing up; I try to keep a playful attitude where appropriate) and gathering knowledge an insight. I like what I have become. But I am sure it doesn't end here.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up (or acting old) is optional. That's what I always say. Even though I am only 22 :)

Despite my young age, I can relate to what you are feeling; I have changed a great deal over the last 5 years, maturing (obviously without growing up; I try to keep a playful attitude where appropriate) and gathering knowledge an insight. I like what I have become. But I am sure it doesn't end here.

Well said!

Big guy, I can never forget the pic of you with that beer can! lol. ( reminded me of me....a while back : )

Well said!

Big guy, I can never forget the pic of you with that beer can! lol. ( reminded me of me....a while back : )

Thanks abe :)
Do you mean that picture of me bartending? That was a wild night... Got home at 5:30 in the morning (unfortunately, bartenders also need to clean up after the party) and really, REALLY needed a shower. Beer all over me...(but no excessive amounts of beer IN me)
Good times...

Thanks for your positive responses. As I was composing the initial post the words of the song "Turn Turn Turn" by Pete Seeger were in my head. We are all probably most familiar with the version by the sixties band, The Byrds. I first heard that song as a child and I always thought of it as a special masterpiece. We all have "Seasons" that depict our lives just as the song implies. I have experienced all of the seasons that the song mentions except of course "A time to Die". I am glad that many younger people responded. I didn't expect that. I'll leave the link for all to enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNopQq5lWqQ

The woman I have become.

I feel like a 21 years old(who is 16) trapped in a 45 year old body sometimes.Not that the body is so bad but a little less flexible and a bit of pain here and there.
Getting older is kinda cool for me.I don't care what people think since I carry myself with respect. I speak my mind with pride not when I was younger and just a smart ass saying things for attention and to shock people.I dress a little more my age and not like a rocker vixen, not that I don't have the clothes but they are for special times.Never into games if someone is not into you or was with someone else walk away it is a choice a feeling and has nothing to with you.I don't have time for angry rude selfish people, life is to short to not get all the positive you can out of and enjoy nature, friends and family that you have left.My mind is sharper now and I enjoy people more.The 80's rocked! I was lucky to have lived through the rock club and concerts back in CA in Hollywood and Orange County.I have lived through so much I have so much to be thankful for and a lot of worldly advice if needed.

Well said my friend Pinner. My mind still thinks I'm 30, but my 60 year old body says, "Whoa, slow down old man or you may get hurt." I have learned to look before I leap, and think before I speak. Great advice for the younger set. All the best to you.

Last edited:
I look forward to the day I don't feel pain anymore.....
Not me baby....pain is good....more pain is better. The day I don't feel pain is probably the day I die. And I'm not ready to die just yet. We're all responsible for our own happiness. Find that mindset, and you've got the best of the game.

Not me baby....pain is good....more pain is better. The day I don't feel pain is probably the day I die. And I'm not ready to die just yet. We're all responsible for our own happiness. Find that mindset, and you've got the best of the game.

Very well said my friend Harry, as well as Bob, and Abe...I have lived with nerve damage (EXTREME PAIN) in both feet now for 16 years and although I am not in love with the pain I am THANKFUL I can feel it and still live this wonderful life.

Hell, I was the one who probably brought about all the damage through drug abuse (yes, I said it), wild partying days or shall I say years, and extreme workouts or abuse to my lower extremities in martial arts. But, growing older even in pain is a marvelous blessing that I will not trade away. And now that I have finally taken up drums, have an excellent teacher for learning them, and still have a great wife who has put up graciously with the drums in the house, children, parents and sibling who can ask for more?

That Guy, I know things are getting tough for you as I read in another post, but hang in there Bro, you have never struck me as a downer so get back up and ride again bro!!!

Thanks Bob for such a great post...it makes one think of how thankful we should be even in these hard times...we will get through and I believe we will all suffer some before it is over...some just more than others, but we can still remain thankful because we still have far more than most in this world.

Interesting post. I am middle aged and in some ways feel it. In others I still feel young. I often work with younger guys and recently was asked about the age of another musician and I nearly responded, "our age" :)

I feel as enthusiastic as I did when I was young and in many ways love drumming and music even more now than in the past. As for wisdom, I know a few things, whether or not any of them are right and correct I do not know.

Last edited:
I'm 14, and therefore without relevant input, but the title of this thread reminded me of "This Animal I have Become" by Three Day's Grace.

And High School is pretty neat.

I hear stories of how life is fun and a wonderful learning experience. I look forward to the day I don't feel pain anymore, even if that means my existence comes to an end. I welcome that day.

Listen to some Type O Negative. It will make you feel better. Works for me..

Listen to some Type O Negative. It will make you feel better. Works for me..

Wow, you're the first Type O fan I've seen on here! They rule..."Everyone I love is Dead" is my favorite song (from the album that's your avatar) from them. Total gothic doom opera. Not the most complex drumming, but very powerful. And the lowest, most distorted chunky guitars you'll ever hear!

I'm not saying this to be funny or patronizing, but if you truly feel that way you should get some counseling dude.

Back