Jeff Porcaro

Hey Steve!
No problem on the confirmation. I discovered MANY tracks that Jeff played on that I'd either forgotten about, or that I just wasn't aware of. With 700 different credits to his name that we KNOW of (and perhaps that many more that we don't....), it's not hard to learn something new.

ps: Gretsch New Classics on the way? VERY cool.
After having my kit for 8 months, I finally found a kick drum sound I can live with.
I put the biggest fluffy towel in there I could find. The drum still speaks, but it's got that low-end punch I was looking for. Catalina Maple ---nothing beats that sound. it's a very warm tone-and this little 6ply 6piece still rings even with a little muffling here and there so as not to wake the landlord! *lol* You're gonna LOVE playing Gretsch.

Hey Steve!
No problem on the confirmation. I discovered MANY tracks that Jeff played on that I'd either forgotten about, or that I just wasn't aware of. With 700 different credits to his name that we KNOW of (and perhaps that many more that we don't....), it's not hard to learn something new.

ps: Gretsch New Classics on the way? VERY cool.
After having my kit for 8 months, I finally found a kick drum sound I can live with.
I put the biggest fluffy towel in there I could find. The drum still speaks, but it's got that low-end punch I was looking for. Catalina Maple ---nothing beats that sound. it's a very warm tone-and this little 6ply 6piece still rings even with a little muffling here and there so as not to wake the landlord! *lol* You're gonna LOVE playing Gretsch.

gretschgal1,

I didn't follow Jeff as much when I was younger (other than Toto stuff), but I have since started listening to him a lot more. My son is into Paul McCartney, and I just happened to run into that thing with Porcaro when looking for McCartney classics like "Live and Let Die", "Silly Little Love Song", etc.

Thanks for the encouraging stuff on Gretsch. I was looking at either Yamaha or a number of the Gretsch lines (Catalina, Renown, New Classic). Realy excited to be part of the "family" of Gretsch lovers.

Steve

That video is hilarious. The last time I saw this movie was in the 80's, all I remember is a scene where they're playing a ballad and Ringo is frantically looking for his brushes. By the time he finds them, the song is over.

Cool to see Jeff doing the 'drummer thing' of nonchalantly looking off into the distance as he's jamming.

And anybody know who the bass player is? I always thought McCartney played bass on this album.

That is a TUNE!! .....(goes to find the album version)

An album ive been listening to recently with jeff on (all of it) is 10cc 'meanwhile' album. Really great album with Freddie "Ready Freddie" Washington on bass (very nice). It is recorded around the time Jeff recorded 'Kingdom of desire' and has that similar snare sound. really nice stuff-reccomended. 'Wonderland' has a very 'Mushanga' feel to it....

Hey Crew,

Great topic! Who else to talk about than the Groove Monster himself! In June 2006 I saw Toto just as they were taking off on their latest world tour. Got to talk with Greg P.(keys) and asked him what tune was his favorite when playing with JP. He answered, "I Keep Forgettin'". Of course! I had a drumhead with me in hopes that I could get all the band to sign it. Not only did Greg sign it, he then took it back to the green room for the rest of the band to do their thing, then brought it back to me! Cloud NINE!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember Solid Gold the tv show? I can recall watching Michael McDonald singing(actually lip-synching) and Jeff behind his kit looking hip as ever. Jeff had that aura about him that everyone respected. I wished that I could have met the man. My all-time favorite drummer. Take it easy folks!

Tim

An album I've been diggin recently is "Wild Child" by Valerie Carter (1978). Now this is one super cool album. Really bluesy, and some great keyboard sounds from James Newton Howard.

Recommend it. Especially the track "Crazy"

JEFF: @ "vOTE#1.COM" on the "Legends" list!

SEVERAL Toto listeners nominated Jeff for the "Best All Time Rock Drummer" and were ignored.

So...myself and a couple other brave souls decided we weren't taking "no" for an answer and now Jeffrey's listed with Bonzo, Cozy Powell and Keith Moon in the "Best Rock Drummer of All Time (LEGEND)" poll.

Simon Phillips, Phil Collins, Neal Peart, and many others are in the 'current' "All Time" list.

I've already voted today.

Here's the deal.
1. One "LEGEND" bumped off the poll every TWO (2) weeks.
2. One "Current" bumped from the list every WEEK.

It took an Act of Congress to even get Jeffrey mentioned on the list.

I was told, "We are well aware of who Jeff Porcaro was...."
I was also told that a "combined vote" would be considered.
This ticked me off because Phillips and Porcaro are totally different Animals stylistically...and they should be listed seperately on any subjective poll.

Two tries, and the guys who run the website GOT IT RIGHT.
Jeff's kids can vote for their Dad now. (I've sent the link to Miles and Jeff's nephew Chase) and also to a few others directly associated with Jeff.

Bonzo is in the lead, which is kind of appropriate, as he was one of Jeff's biggest influences when it came to the 1/2 time groove for "Rosanna"; but there was a lot of Bonham's attitude wrapped up in a small-framed Italian kid who changed the face of music with his playing.

Vote....but let's not stuff the ballot box, gang.
Let's see just how long we can keep Jeff's name on the "Legends" list.
If he gets bumped; oh well....he's THERE and that's what counted with me.
I was doing this as a nod to the fellow's influence on my overall musicianship-not just my beginning drum chops. Also, to give his kids a chance to vote.
Several of those touched by the Gift he had; weren't about to let him be ignored again.

In that, we succeeded.
VOTE y'all.
T

Last edited:
That is a TUNE!! .....(goes to find the album version)

An album ive been listening to recently with jeff on (all of it) is 10cc 'meanwhile' album. Really great album with Freddie "Ready Freddie" Washington on bass (very nice). It is recorded around the time Jeff recorded 'Kingdom of desire' and has that similar snare sound. really nice stuff-reccomended. 'Wonderland' has a very 'Mushanga' feel to it....

YES, it does. There's a story in Modern Drummer where Jeff talked about tracking that record. Dr. John was on it as well as Paich. JP said he and the guys in 10cc made a loop but had to pull all these electronics off the tape machine to make it work.
(i.e. "Let's make a loop"...."Like the old days").
I THINK "Wonderland" has that loop on it.
he also mentioned playing a 20x20 rope drum.........I hear that sometimes when I'm not even listening for it. That's a great album, and I think may have been one of the last Jeff recorded before he left us.

T

Shame to see Jeff's been eliminated from the running.

Yeah you've got some phenomenal drummers out there today, but I still believe there's never been a touch quite like Jeffrey's.

hey TONY! After speaking with a few of Jeff's friends via the Toto Network, my best guess is that Jeff would have voted for Bonzo, regardless of whether Jeff was on the legends list or not!! (Think, "Rosanna" was a direct "Fool in the Rain" rip-off with a little Purdie tossed in for good measure!). So....

Yeah; but hey-we got his name listed SEPERATE from Simon's for a reason.
I fought like a mofo to get him listed on the "legends" side of it so his kids could vote for him. Check out the "Symetrics" page at Myspace. That's Jeff's middle kid Miles, and his nephew, Chase Porcaro Duddy --and those kids got to vote for Jeffrey for a solid MONTH.
So all is nawt lost -ha ha!
SCORE ONE for a true legend and a dude what I'm told was VERY humble about his Gift and life in general.

Says Michael Porcaro (about his older, shorter bro):
"Jeff was just a regular guy who tried to live life just like anybody else, and was a very devoted Dad when that became part of his life".
At Toto 99, there's a video clip of Mikey where he states that Jeffrey's heart was "that of an artist". And that to, "Know Jeff was to love him."

What a sweet way to remember FAMILY. Mike's just the coolest.
At times, JEFF has stated that Mike was the 'better drummer' of the two of them.
I submit, humbly---after hearing those two play on a lot of stuff, that there wasn't a groove Jeff carved out that Mikey couldn't stitch shut. Pocket was re-defined any time those two sat down to play. The Beegees were "The Brothers Gibb".

Might it be stated that Jeffrey and Mike Porcaro were "The Brothers Groove"???
Mike is currently battling an arm injury that prevents him from touring.
God Bless Mikey.........I hope he can play again soon.
*sigh*

T

Shame to see Jeff's been eliminated from the running.
Yeah you've got some phenomenal drummers out there today, but I still believe there's never been a touch quite like Jeffrey's.

[At Toto 99, there's a video clip of Mikey where he states that Jeffrey's heart was "that of an artist". And that to, "Know Jeff was to love him."

I'll tell ya:
when Jeff passed away in 1992 (5th August) I was taking a sunbath in a beach in Sardegna (Italy).
I didn't even know about him.
After some time I listened to Toto IV but I didn't know who the drummer was.

The minute I linked the two things I almost cried. It sounds stupid crying for people who you even don't know.

So I'm asking you: why?

In these years I tried to find an answer and I've come up with this: because when Jeff played he was expressing himself as a human being.

So to know the beauty of his playing was meaning to know his beauty as a human being.

That's why I almost cried. Because the earth has lost a true Human Being.

That's a nice post Alex,

I couldn't agree more. For me though, I don't remember Jeff passing. I was only a 12 year old boy at the time.

It would be another two years before I even knew who he was. The funny thing is, I WAS actually well aware of Jeff throughout the 80's. I always remember being a kid and hearing "I Keep Forgetting", and being aware of the bass drum toward the end. My mother was a huge George Benson fan, and I absolutely loved "Lady love Me, One More Time", being aware of the Hats toward the end. And who was a true 80's child who didn't love "Human Nature"!!!??? That Tom to Snare Roll at the chorus of the Shoop Shoop Song!? Hell, I was digging that shuffle on "You Might Need Somebody" way before I even had the presence of mind to ask who the man behind the drums was.

I saw Dave Weckl in a clinic recently. He was asked who his favourite drummer was, and before the kid could finish his sentence, Dave replied, "No...No...that would be too narrow minded, NEXT!".

While I see his point, I can't help but put Jeff above all the rest in my mind. I really see him as a set standard, with most of my other fav's being apprentices of Jeff, eg, Vinnie, Abe Jr, Gregg Bissonette etc.

The interviews over at Musicast are real gold (thanks to Gretschgal for pointing that one out). Although they all talk a lot about Jeff, to me, David Hungate's really stands out. Here is somebody who was extremely close to Jeff, with some excellent stories, and real heartfelt words. And what better way to describe Jeff than as photography, "He was always in focus"...

http://www.insidemusicast.com/current/2006/12/08/david_hungate.html

Echoing Dave's sentiments, whenever I'm blasting a record with Jeff on, he's there, right there.

R.I.P my brother. The world is a sad place without you, but incredibly fortunate to have been blessed with what you left behind.

That's a nice post Alex,

I couldn't agree more. For me though, I don't remember Jeff passing. I was only a 12 year old boy at the time.

I was a 21-year-old college kid, sunning myself-taking messages for my Dad (residential carpenter/contractor). The local station broadcast the news -and I swear all I heard were the words, JEFF PORCARO and fatal heart attack.

I am convinced that heart attack was set in motion due to the organophosphate Dursban, which is what Jeff was spraying in the yard that day.
According to a BBC Radio1 interview with Luke last year, Lukather stated that Jeff told Luke by phone that afternoon that he was, "gonna go take care of the yard---having a barbecue this weekend."

For those unaware---Dursban is in the exact same chemical class as SARIN and VX

I have researched this for years because I went through anaphylactic shock about nine months before Jeffrey did....the only difference?
I lived.

Folks, that's FRIGHTENING.
iF YOU'VE NEVER gone through Anaphylaxis, it is hideous.
Fever, chills, sore throat, restricted breathing and the ER staff that worked with me monitored my blood pressure for TWO HOURS....to make sure it would actually stablize--and stop fluxing.

My situation was due to Tampons. Fellas---read the insert in the box of tampons.
MEMORIZE WHAT IS THERE.
I went through that.

Organophosphates like Dursban and Malathion are tacky. Jeff got enough of it that it stuck to the lining of his lungs. It attaches itself (the organophosphate) to smooth muscle.
(i.e. Diaphragm...? Paralyzes smooth muscle. Atropine and 2PAM and oxygen into the lungs are the ONLY WAYS to break that bond-this mess was a NERVE agent that Jeff was messing with that day.

Scott tells me Jeff would fit into the back seat of Scott's Porsche-grab his kit and they'd go to a gig---WITH Jeff's drums in the car.

My guess is that Jeffrey was no taller than 5ft. 7in.
He was small-framed.
Too much bug killer is a BAD thing.
I spray soap and water on my roses now. Always have for the past few years.
Jeff had a family history of atherosclerosis.
I have read another interview in which Luke stated that two of Jeff's uncles passed before they hit 40.
I lost a cousin to 'hardening of the arteries" when Joel was 17.
MASSIVE MI.

But for me, sitting out in the sun on 6 August 1992....hearing that it was an allergic reaction?

That's what Anaphylactic Shock is.
Somehow ---tampons did that to me, but are any of you allergic to peanuts or shellfish?
Same deal can happen to you.
I had gone through that crap NINE MONTHS before Jeff left us.
I cried for TWO HOURS knowing what I know---because I'd gone through it.
God bless him,---he had to be so scared.
It is a FRIGHTENING thing to know your throat's closing on you....or that you have a fever Tylenol won't cut through.
And when your BP starts going crazy---gang. If I can do ONE THING related to our loss of a kickin' drummer -it's tell people to know what the sings of Anaphylactic Shock are.
They're real.
Lived through it.
I wish Jeff had---his youngest kid would have grown up with his real dad around.
God knows what he's doing. My guess?
He allowed Jeff to leave us so that we'd learn to treasure this Music and the talent to play.
And to treasure our families and friends.

If I hear "Pamela" or "Calling Elvis" I crank it up. "KOD" is my absolute fave record other the "TOTO IV" that Jeff was on for his band. But there are COUNTLESS other tracks I grew up hearing that are jsut unmistakeably "Jeff".
It's a hoot to be able to hear his work, still.
TOO MUCH fun.

Somebody mentioned Abe Jr.
Check out Lukather's "Ever Changing Times" (new disc -June 3rd Stateside).
Abe Jr. threw down some very "Jeff" things for Luke's latest solo effort.
Jammin' his OWN way all the same. Abe Jr. KICKS BUTT on that album.
(So too, does Luke's kid Trevor!)

T

It is in fact true, for the moment there's no Toto anymore. Lukes on solo tour, they all needed a break after such a long time of touring (too long!) and hey, these guys are getting older too.

only future will tell! it would not be the first group to make a big comeback!!!

@alexdrum: nice brasil shirt!!!

Just been listening to Lady Love Me (George Benson).

Here's a thing to do (if you haven't already). To do this, you need to take a decent recording. Mine is from the original CD, plus you need to be wearing headphones.

Crank the volume RIGHT up during the end fade, and right at the very end of the fade, about 3:57, check out the hi-hats. I love how funky they are!

I noticed it when I was half drifting off to sleep while listening to my ipod. Needless to say, I was well awake after hearing that.

Hope everyone's well?

the Supraphonic snare was taken off eBay b/c the seller was not getting any real offers - he only got people wanting Jeff stories. not to mention that the price is a wee bit steep, even though it really was Jeff's. i wish the seller luck. owning that drum would have to bring some sort of fabulous, magical juju into one's playing.

Last edited:
Back