Ear Protection

I just picked up the Vater ear plugs the other day.

I don't have the in-ear solution with the blues band I play with; I've just been using an older pair of ear plugs during rehearsal.

I played around on the kit to day using the Vater plugs with the green filter. It seemed to work quite nicely. It took the volume down but I could still hear everything clearly; no muffled sounds at all.

They come with another filter (red) than takes off another 5 or 6 dB I think. I'll have to see how rehearsal goes if I need the red ones or not.

Just another option for you. About $20 gets you a pair of plugs, two different sets of filters and a carrying case. They're worth checking out.

I think the differences between these various "music" ear plugs is negligible until you get a custom set. We have 3 or 4 types and they seem similar in efficacy.

My suggestion, Marco, is that you try playing 2-3 hours in that band rehearsal room wearing 29db shooting ear muffs and see if you get a head ache. If you don't, then I suggest home made sound absorbing panels and custom ear plugs, or just add 21db ear muff to the earasers.

I made rock wool core panels for my son's practice room, and the difference is amazing in how much less painful the sound is. ( http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100058 )

I just received my set of custom made earplugs by ReSound about three weeks ago. I've now rehearsed and gigged with them and let me tell you that they are amazing. In the past I have not worn anything because they cut out the articulation that I always felt I needed to play. I had begun to notice that when I would go to bed that the ringing in my ears was just getting worse and lasting for a few days. Unacceptable.

They cut all of the harsh frequencies out and really enhance the feel of the lower end. That is I feel the bass and floor tom in my body more as a result. I will never not have a set of these in my ears whilst playing ever again. No more ringing!!!

I think the differences between these various "music" ear plugs is negligible until you get a custom set. We have 3 or 4 types and they seem similar in efficacy.

My suggestion, Marco, is that you try playing 2-3 hours in that band rehearsal room wearing 29db shooting ear muffs and see if you get a head ache. If you don't, then I suggest home made sound absorbing panels and custom ear plugs, or just add 21db ear muff to the earasers.

I made rock wool core panels for my son's practice room, and the difference is amazing in how much less painful the sound is. ( http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100058 )

I do keep a pair of shooters ear muffs at the practice space. I use them often, no headaches from them.

This is a long thread and I didn't read many of the replies, but I use these Hearos High Fidelity plugs for rehearsal and they're okay. They allow some highs to come through. They are pretty uncomfortable, though. I see they make a small size now for those with "smaller ear canals." Maybe I have tiny girl ear canals and should try those, not sure.

http://www.hearos.com/products/high-fidelity

Bought my first set of musical earplugs yesterday,

Fender ones that apparently cut down 22dbs. I put them in, I could hear my drums clearly but there was no horrible ring or anything else. It was the first time I was able to play along to music through a PA, I could never have done that with no ear protection.

They might not be as good as custom ear protection but they are great value for £7.99, just wash them before use and they are good to go :)

I use Hear-o's. I have no idea what the protection level is, but they allow me to hear my bandmates pretty clearly while blocking out the energy waves coming off my cymbals. I don't know if it's a good indicator but I never have ringing or temporary inability to hear at normal levels. If I don't hav ethe hear-o's I just used regular cheap foam plugs. I have in-ear monitors but so far we haven't had a good opportunity to get them hooked to the PA. I do use those when playing along to music while practicing.

Back