Name that rhythm

Quick question for you rhythm experts:
Whilst attending a Derek Roddy clinic he briefly mentioned (and played) something called the "flat tyre" (single snare hit, followed by a single bass drum/ride cymbal hit- wash, rinse and repeat).
Is this an actual thing or was he taking the piss?
See LarryC's last post; the "flat tire" is a type of shuffle, played exactly the way you describe.

Whilst attending a Derek Roddy clinic he briefly mentioned (and played) something called the "flat tyre" (single snare hit, followed by a single bass drum/ride cymbal hit- wash, rinse and repeat).
Is this an actual thing or was he taking the piss?
Derek knows his stuff, so I'm inclined to go with his wisdom :)

Flat tire (tyre) shuffle, very real. The bass drum plays the quarter note downbeats and the snare plays the "ands". So the shuffle pattern is split up between the bass drum and snare drum. The hi hat just shuffles. The beat feels wonderfully lop-sided, and it definitely conjures the feel of driving on a flat tire.

Well, consider my horizons broadened guys.
I must confess it was strange to see an extreme metal drummer doing this beat but Derek is a very well rounded player as we all know.
I'm still having trouble thinking of where such a beat would be used appropriately in a musical context (jazz, I'm guessing) so forgive my ignorance!

I'd like to add the songo to the list. One of the few or only latin grooves invented for the drumset. It's fun to play and not overly complex. It's basically linear which makes the coordination a little easier than some other latin grooves.

Here's an example and breakdown of the rhythm by a great drummer. This guy plays latin stuff like it's nobody's business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTjq4evGc8w

Last edited:
Flat tire (tyre) shuffle, very real. The bass drum plays the quarter note downbeats and the snare plays the "ands". So the shuffle pattern is split up between the bass drum and snare drum. The hi hat just shuffles. The beat feels wonderfully lop-sided, and it definitely conjures the feel of driving on a flat tire.

Didn't know it was called that - perfect name for it.

Former Genesis drummer, John Mayhew, was criticised at the time for his flat tyre shuffle in The Knife, which was thought to be clumsy. I thought it worked fine.

The Cissy Strut beat and the Looka-py-py. What do you call those? Second line? Not really, right. Just Zigaboo beats. He plays them so smooth.

I'd like to add the songo to the list. ....http://m.youtube.com/?gl=CA#/watch?v=zTjq4evGc8w

Your link doesn't work for me! crap!

The Cissy Strut beat and the Looka-py-py. What do you call those? Second line? Not really, right. Just Zigaboo beats. He plays them so smooth.

Zigabeats? Boobeats? He really should have his own category.

I love playing/hearing the flat tire shuffle at slower tempos.

I keep thinking that Clapton's "Before You Accuse Me" would sound good slowed down a little and played with a flat tire shuffle.

Didn't know it was called that - perfect name for it.

Former Genesis drummer, John Mayhew, was criticised at the time for his flat tyre shuffle in The Knife, which was thought to be clumsy. I thought it worked fine.

Whaaaat? Love that tune, never knew that was a flat tire shuffle. Also never thought of genesis as a shufflin' kinda band.

Back