Non-drummer looking for practice pad and stick

saxguy

I'm a jazz sax player thinking of taking up some form of percussion to practice rhythm. I am thinking of getting a practice pad and sticks. I can only practice about 10 minutes a day as I am already practicing piano as a 2nd instrument. However I may get a drum set sometime so I can have jams at my place. So I could actually use the drums if I've already been practicing with sticks.

What is the best way to do this? Is a beginner able to choose what gear to buy? I don't even know how to hold a drum stick. Should I find a teacher who can help me choose? I was talking to a drummer who also recommended someone in a local music store.

I'm looking at something like this

It comes with 5A sticks. Is that a good size to start off with? According to this
"Three of the most widely used are 7a, 5a and 2b/5b. 7a is a thin stick. It is recommended for soft quiet music and jazz. It is also ideal for new drummers who aren’t yet used to handling large sticks.

The most widely used though, is the 5a drum stick. It is solid and well rounded. These 5a sticks are used mostly for rock music, but they can be utilized in practically all music genres. The 2b/5b drum sticks are big and heavy. They are stronger and much louder."

I'm looking at something like this

It comes with 5A sticks. Is that a good size to start off with? According to this
"Three of the most widely used are 7a, 5a and 2b/5b. 7a is a thin stick. It is recommended for soft quiet music and jazz. It is also ideal for new drummers who aren’t yet used to handling large sticks.

The most widely used though, is the 5a drum stick. It is solid and well rounded. These 5a sticks are used mostly for rock music, but they can be utilized in practically all music genres. The 2b/5b drum sticks are big and heavy. They are stronger and much louder."

5A sticks are awesome starters. This quote is right, they are middle of the road.

The reason 7s are "jazz" sticks is because of the stick density. Lighter stick, less sound from a normal hit. Jazz is a quieter genre in general. "Jazz" drum sets are usually smaller as well.

Anyway...a good DVD to look at is Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands for a Lifetime" for a nice general stick book.

That looks like a good deal. Is there any disadvantage with a 6" vs 12" pad?

The biggest disadvantage of the 6" pad is that they tend to bounce around a bit if they're on a benchtop/table or in your lap......they're also too small to fit into a snare stand (but this one doesn't affect you at this stage anyway).

I have numerous pads of both sizes. I like the 6" propped in my lap when I'm sitting watching TV etc, but it does move around a hell of a lot and I have to keep moving it back. If I'm sitting down practising properly then I prefer to have a 12" pad for that.

Of course portability is an upside to the 6" pad as well and I always take that one if I go away. But if you're asking my opinion on a first pad to buy I'd recommend the 12" as it's more stable.....that way you can concentrate on drumming as opposed to chasing wandering practice pads.

The biggest disadvantage of the 6" pad is that they tend to bounce around a bit if they're on a benchtop/table or in your lap......they're also too small to fit into a snare stand (but this one doesn't affect you at this stage anyway).

I have numerous pads of both sizes. I like the 6" propped in my lap when I'm sitting watching TV etc, but it does move around a hell of a lot and I have to keep moving it back. If I'm sitting down practising properly then I prefer to have a 12" pad for that.

Of course portability is an upside to the 6" pad as well and I always take that one if I go away. But if you're asking my opinion on a first pad to buy I'd recommend the 12" as it's more stable.....that way you can concentrate on drumming as opposed to chasing wandering practice pads.

FYI I have my vater 6" pad (the red rubbery ones) in a cheapo sound percussion snare stand from guitar center. Works fine.
I have a 6" RTOM moongel pad that I use in there from time to time with no issues as well.

Nothing really wrong with either. I have a 12 too.

Back