Help choosing Aquarian heads

newbalance55

HI!

I just recently got a PREMIER CABRIA XPK and I want to upgrade the heads. After having read so many good oppinions about AQUARIAN HEADS, I´ve decided to go for them.

I´m not a big hitter and I´m looking for overall pop/rock sound (Tom Petty, Okkervil River, Springsteen,etc)

So...

FOR TOMS (BATTER): Performance II or Response II? Clear or Coated?

FOR BASS (BATTER): Super Kick I or Super Kick II?

FOR SNARE (BATTER): Any Suggestion??

Thanks so much in advance!!

Here's my take on what should sound good for your style.

Snare: Aquarian Texture coated batter over classic clear snare side
Toms: Aquarian texture coated (or studio-x clear or coated) batter over classic clear
Bass drum: Aquarian Superkick I batter over unported regulator.

Remember it's easier to muffle unmuffled head than unmuffle muffled head....

Toms: Aquarian texture coated (or studio-x clear or coated) batter over classic clear

Can't go wrong with this combination for your musical style.

I also agree with mind_drummer. I've used this combo with some slight derivation. I've used a ported Regulator but I'm trying an unported Full Force on one of my bass drums right now and really liking it. I've only used the coated versions of the Studio-X. They're hard to beat for pop-rock stuff. The snare combo mind_drummer mentions is killer also.

IMO, Response 2/Performance II's are good heads if you are playing medium-loud to loud most of the time. You have to lay into them a bit more to get the air moving. If yu want a 2-ply check out coated Super-2's. I have used some on my floor toms and they were very nice.

Aquarian's a great choice. If you ever have any issues with the products (rare), Roy Burns himself helps you through the issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Jim

where can i buy an unported regulator. they seem to be a very secretive head. that and a coated SK1.

If you can't find them on your own, email Aquarian. Tell them your location and what you are looking for and they will tell you where to get it or who to call. Try Guitar Centers site or Sam Ash if you haven't already.

another 2 cents!

snare - Focus X / Classic Clear Snare Side
toms - Response 2 / Classic Clear
bass - Force I Coated - both sides for a warm, focused sound that can still project

good hunting!

Thank you for all your comments!!

One more question:

What about the Super-2 coated? I´ve read good reviews too and they´re likely to be more durable than Studio-X or Texture Coated (1 ply).
Do you think they will go with that pop-rock style I´m looking for?

Thank you for all your comments!!

One more question:

What about the Super-2 coated? I´ve read good reviews too and they´re likely to be more durable than Studio-X or Texture Coated (1 ply).
Do you think they will go with that pop-rock style I´m looking for?

Yes and yes.........

snare: Jack Dejohnette signature or Satin Finish
toms: Jack Dejohnette signature or Clear Response 2.
bass: Jack Dejohnette signature

I like mind_drummer's snare and bass drum setup here. I'd opt for the studio-x clear on the toms though. Whoops...on edit, see he has that as an option. :)

I run the following setups

SNARE: Texture Coated w/Power Dot :) over Classic Clear Snare Side
TOMS: Super 2 Coated over Classic Clears
KICK: SKII over unported Regulator

My overall sound is on the warm side. I really am a power dot guy when it comes to snares. The Texture Coated w/power dot is awesome. Very wide tuning range, but mine is up higher than a cat's back and it cuts. The Super 2s are great heads. The key is that the plies are two different thicknesses (unlike most other 2 ply heads) so you get warmth from a 2 ply head but nice attack like a single ply head. I have no internal muffling on my kick and get a great punchy boom. Punchy boom you ask? Yes a punchy boom. I was surprised, too.

Also, of note is the Z100 coating. Aquarian really scored here. Very durable, not a single nick or flake in over a year.

BTW, the SKI is not available coated by that name. They make a Texture Coated Super Kick that is single ply. Also the SKIII is a coated single ply head with a power dot, so that's an option.

Have fun!!!

I run the following setups

SNARE: Texture Coated w/Power Dot :) over Classic Clear Snare Side
TOMS: Super 2 Coated over Classic Clears
KICK: SKII over unported Regulator

Agreed, except for a ported Regulator in front,....WIDE OPEN!

I stared w/ Super 2 clears as a suggestion from Roy Burns, and after they went I went w/ the coated to try them.....Ohhhhhh so nice and warm!! AND, on birch shells to boot!

That Texture Coated w/ power dot is amazing! The regular Texture Coated is another great snare head,...I use them both!

Back