Coated Emperor's over Clear Ambassador's?

Swexx

Hi guys!
I am gonna get rid of my stock heads on my Gretsch Catalina's, and I wonder what you think of the combo Coated Emperor's over Clear Ambassador's on my 10, 12 and 14" toms?
I'm looking for a dark rock sound (for the record, I'm not interested in Pinstripe and such. I'm gonna buy Emperor's, just wanted to know if you have anything to tell about the combo Emp/Amb)

Thanks!

I do the Evans equivalent (coated G2s over clear G1s) and it's a good, versatile setup. From your comment that you're not looking for a Pinstripe sound, sounds like you want something a little more open and organic - you will get it.

Nice pair. Fat sound on your toms. I use coated Amb resos, mostly for even more warmth....but also for look.

If you went with the equivalent from Aquarian which would be response 2 over classic clear they would last much longer before going dead, the coating is almost bullet proof plus they will cost you less money.

Classic combo. Classic sound. With good drums and good tuning you can't go wrong.

(I use it myself)

Cheers.

Nice pair. Fat sound on your toms. I use coated Amb resos, mostly for even more warmth....but also for look.

Coated resoheads? O: Wouldn't that choke the toms? If they don't, it seems interesting to me as I'm looking for warmth and fatness...

Coated resoheads? O: Wouldn't that choke the toms? If they don't, it seems interesting to me as I'm looking for warmth and fatness...

Remo coated Ambassadors over coated Ambassadsors sound very nice on my DW Classic drums. It was the first time in years since I tried that combination, now it's been almost two years using them again.

Dennis

Most definitely not. It's a tried and tested head combo. For years it was more common than the coated over clear combo.

I'm currently using coated vintage Emperors over clear Ambos on my new Ludwig set...............10, 12, 14 & 16 toms............all sound gorgeous.

I'm currently using coated vintage Emperors over clear Ambos on my new Ludwig set...............10, 12, 14 & 16 toms............all sound gorgeous.

Same here, coated vintage emps over clear ambassadors, 12/14/16 and they sound awesome. The vintage emps have a tad more midrange and warmth but no loss of volume. They sound great on my DW collector's kit. I switch between clear emps and coated vintage emps on the batter side, always a clear ambassador bottom. I use coated G2's as batters as well. They all sound great, the clear batter head just gives me a bit more attack and a little more open tone.

Well personally i love the warm rock tones from the emperors. if ur looking for that deep warm tone with a nice punch the remo emperors over remo ambassadors would do the trick. At the moment im using remo vintage emperors coated on my kit. I have a Tama Rockstar kit with 10,12,and 14 inch toms and for me they sound great and at my church the remo emperors have a real nice rock tone with the deep bass in the floor tom. So the emperors should do the trick if your looking for the rock tones.

Coated Emperors for the batters with various Ambassador coated for the reso's depending on the tom.

The 10" gets a vintage Coated Ambassador reso. The 12" gets a standard coated Ambassador. Playing with the body of the 10" tom with head choices right now. The 14" floor wears an Ambassodor X reso.

I played with the stock clear reso heads that came with the kit but didn't really like the bottom end they had. The clear seemed like diplomat weight so perhaps that was what I didn't really like as much as what I now have. The coated are much better to me, both sonically, and visually.

Back