Gear Car

(Future)DWdrummer

I'm not driving yet but I'm going to have to start thinking about the kind of car I'm gonna get that can accomodate a drum set once I start driving... A friend of mine, who's a drummer, used to drive a Toyota 4Runner.. Any thoughts on cars and drum sets and what works and what doesnt?.....

Hundai Elantra Touring wagon.
The choice of Yours Truly.
Dependable, and inexpensive.
I am an automotive repair tech by trade.

Attachments

• 561026_3582135044303_658956703_n.jpeg
    561026_3582135044303_658956703_n.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 314
  • 531740_3417358644996_1091717340_n.jpeg
    531740_3417358644996_1091717340_n.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 320
I drive a Mercury Sable wagon, and it fits my full 8 piece drumset (which I hardly ever use) with room for a passenger.

The Sable is the same as the Ford Taurus just with leather seats. They are nice to have, but wagons are a little harder to find and harder to get parts for.

I would think about something like the Rav4 before the 4runner. You'll have plenty of room for drums and you'll save on gas.

We always have to think ahead!

I was able to get a kit into the Ford Focus wagon I had ( 26,13-16-18, snare, cymbals).

The hardware wasn't in the usual case, but it fit behind the front seat (not broken down) with the back seats folded down.

I usually use the mini-van, but I could get a 4 piece with cymbals and stands into my Kia Soul if I had to (and I use a 26).

No passenger though.

Mazda speed3, or VW GTI. That way you can still enjoy driving when you're not lugging drums (ie most of the time probably).

You may wanna say which country you're in since that will affect our suggestions.

We have a little Nissan hatchback. I can haul my drums around easily in it. Peace and goodwill.

I've had lots of cars, small and large. It is quite possible to put whatever gear you have in a small car, but it's much easier to put it in a large one!

This is my current ride; I can easily get my gear and the bass player's in this with both of us. We have a passenger van which I use for the whole band (4 piece) and our gear when playing further from home, to reduce transport costs.

IMG_5317.jpg

I love my 2005 Honda Pilot. I've found that bags instead of cases are much easier when space is an issue in a car. My next car maybe a Honda minivan. With the seats folded flat, it's cavernous.

How about a toyota 4 runner

Yup to make life a little easier on yourself and still give you room to possibly expand what you need to carry an SUV is a good choice. Easier to get gear in and out of than a traditional 4 door car and if you expand your setup you have more room to work with.

Audi S4 Avant. I tested one and even put my 26" kick in the back. It'll fit everything AND my wife. One will be mine soon.

I live in Germany, 10 minutes away from the Autobahn.

Attachments

• Audi-S4-Avant-2013-3.jpeg
    Audi-S4-Avant-2013-3.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 206
I took the leap and got an enclosed trailer, and pull that with my pickup.. I can leave it full of gear, and thats that. That said, I have PA gear, rack gear, lights, stands, cables, and the list goes on. I have enough in the trailer for an indoor show for around 300 people.

If I didn't have a 5th wheel camper, I would have this:

1999_Ford_Econoline_E350_Cargo-3.jpg

I almost bought one, but that would have been the fourth family vehicle, and only two drivers...

just about any hatchback is the perfect schleppmobile. easy to park, too. i have a toyota corolla fx that will hold my eight piece sonor with one passenger (20" kick), or my 5 piece ludwig (with 24x20 kick!). 40mpg, btw.

buy whatever you like, put a hitch on it and get a small enclosed trailer...problem solved.

F

I'm in 2 bands atm. One guy has a Peugeot 306, one has a vw polo. Both just fit a standard 5pce kit and then there's room for a guitar. It's true though, it would be nice to not have to play tetris but at the same time I hate big cars (handling wise).

I have been struggling with the idea of selling my s15 Silvia, I might just take Florians advice if it ever comes down to it.

Back