Ludwig Pro Pedals: any good?

Other than the Speed King, I've never encountered any other Ludwig pedal, anywhere, being used by anyone I know.​

Unfortunately I think the Speed King is Ludwig's last hurrah as far as pedals go. But I'm not sure Ludwig cares. Everybody wants the drums. When Tama rolled out in the late 70s with their Titan stuff, all the American drum manufacturers were done with hardware. Rogers was the model for all the heavy stuff (especially the Pearl tom mount) but when they went under the story just ended. You don't really want Ludwig to make a better pedal, do you? At least, that's what DW wants you to think ;)

Never seen any of those pedals but the speed king, which I've owned 3 of. John Bonham played speed kings back in the day. Depending on your budget I'd be looking in the used market and would probably steer clear of any of the chain drives from ludwig.

Unfortunately I think the Speed King is Ludwig's last hurrah as far as pedals go.

It was...

But I'm not sure Ludwig cares.

They do.

You don't really want Ludwig to make a better pedal, do you?

Somebody does - Ludwig is debuting 3 lines of new Atlas hardware at NAMM, which includes 3 new pedals. :)

Bermuda

Re the Pro pedals, they're excellent for the money. Definitely the best pedal you can get in the $60-90 range. I use them on a few of my practice kits, and they feel great for most playing. Bonham 32nd notes? Possibly not, but fine for anything else. I played one of them last night and didn't have to think about it at all.

With Ludwig's new Atlas pedals, I'm not sure what becomes of the Pro, or the Speed King. Guess I'll know for sure at NAMM in 2 weeks.

Bermuda

They are pretty generic....nothing a good PDP or Gibraltar pedal can't do as well. Ludwig definitely hit their grand slam with the Speed King. And if you are interested in one, IMO, I would get an older one anyday before a new one. I have an early 70's pedal and at one time purchased a brand new Speed King. Night & day in the feel department. The newer one felt heavier (not sure how elase to describe it) and not as free as the old pedal. I returned it after one or two hours of use and stuck with my trusty 30yr old pedal.

I was kidding. Especially about the part that DW wants us to think that way ;)

DW wants us to think a lot of things, and they do it via their vigorous marketing campaigns about shell pitch, ply grain direction, re-rings as an integral part of the shell, etc.

No disrespect intended, I've known and liked the folks at DW since first endorsing their 'pedal' in 1984.

Bermuda

DW wants us to think a lot of things, and they do it via their vigorous marketing campaigns about shell pitch, ply grain direction, re-rings as an integral part of the shell, etc.

No disrespect intended, I've known and liked the folks at DW since first endorsing their 'pedal' in 1984.

Bermuda

Ah. You mean the Gretsch Floating Action with that goofy sprocket thingy?

;)

That's the one.... :)

Somebody does - Ludwig is debuting 3 lines of new Atlas hardware at NAMM, which includes 3 new pedals. :)

Bermuda

As Cleveland says, "that's nice". Hopefully they'll kick tail because they're 60 years behind the times. Any more information or maybe a link with more info on those?

Back