Microphone stand

Gorilla glue stick

Hi all,

So I do a lot of backing but have a few issues regarding placement of the mic. I can't wear a headset as I'm constantly panting, burping, sneezing, farting and yelling at the bassist. So I just have a mic on a boom stand by the hi hat. Unfortunately a lot of songs have a lot of things going on on the other side of the kit which makes singing an implausibility.

I was just watching a KISS video and saw that he had a mic stand that allowed him to have the mic at the centre of the kit. Is this a specially built stand or are they pretty common place? If so what are they called so I can buy one. If not any suggestions?

Here's the vid in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86H12yGvNFw&feature=related

It looks like he just has a longer boom stand with a gooseneck on it for the mic. For you, the position of the mic stand would be directly behind you, the boom will go over your head and the gooseneck allows the mic to come down in front of your face.

If you do this, it must be a good heavy duty boom stand. I paid $150 for this AKG stand I've had for years now - totally solid even when I add a 18" gooseneck for my SM58.

You star! Thanks a bunch!

However, you say you can't use a headworn mic because of all the extraneous noises you make. Have you thought about finding a product called the "CoughDrop" by ProCo? The mic would plug into this stomp box, and then the box would get plugged into the PA. In betweem singing you could click the button with a foot and turn the mic on or off. Very handy little device, and cheaper than buying a bigger boom stand.

However, you say you can't use a headworn mic because of all the extraneous noises you make. Have you thought about finding a product called the "CoughDrop" by ProCo? The mic would plug into this stomp box, and then the box would get plugged into the PA. In betweem singing you could click the button with a foot and turn the mic on or off. Very handy little device, and cheaper than buying a bigger boom stand.

Well you just keep getting better and better. That sounds ideal. Is there any headsets you would suggest. I don't have a massive budget but would want something that will be half decent. Would like to spend no more than 70 quid really (120 dollars ish).

Well you just keep getting better and better. That sounds ideal. Is there any headsets you would suggest. I don't have a massive budget but would want something that will be half decent. Would like to spend no more than 70 quid really (120 dollars ish).

My fav headmic is the Shure WH20 with an XLR connector. Here in the states I got mine for about $80. I like the fact that it's not a condenser mic needing phantom power (all the other ones are like that) and sounds closest to my regular ol' SM58 it sometimes replaces. The ProCo box shouldn't cost more than $70 (US), there's probably another company that makes them in your area anyway. Good luck!

My fav headmic is the Shure WH20 with an XLR connector. Here in the states I got mine for about $80. I like the fact that it's not a condenser mic needing phantom power (all the other ones are like that) and sounds closest to my regular ol' SM58 it sometimes replaces. The ProCo box shouldn't cost more than $70 (US), there's probably another company that makes them in your area anyway. Good luck!

Thanks a bunch, you have been a great help.

When I have to use a microphone stand with a long reach boom attachment, I place about 10 or 20 pounds of additional weights over the center pole upright of the stand. This gives it a lower center of gravity and greatly decreases its chance of tip over. The weights I usually use are bar bell weights or sand bags. The best stands for this purpose are Atlas MS20 or 25 stands, even though they'll work well with lighter weight mic stands. You can see them on the first picture on the stands on either side of the bass drum. I even use smaller bar bell weights on some of my boom arms as counter balances, especially if I'm using more than one microphone hanging from the end of the boom as in the last picture. I have two SM57s on shock mounts on a Tee bar over my 8" and 10" rack toms.

DSC_0211-1.jpg

DSC_0222-1.jpg

DSC_0164-1.jpg

Dennis

Back