Hardware revamping

blasterbeat

I plan on replacing the hoops on all my toms, which are triple flanged steel; with black. I have looked at different drum making sites and found the ones that will work. They are black triple flange and cost is reasonable. I wanted to have black diecast but they don't have the correct number of holes for the lug screws, 8 compared to my 6. Also since the hoop color would change I thought it to be proper to do the same with the lugs. Since I could not find any with the same hole spacing I am now wondering if I can paint the lugs. Would an enamel work? Should I buff it up with some steel wool first? Any advice regarding the lugs would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I have those sites bookmarked already. The lugs have to holes and are 39mm spacing between the holes. If I were to paint them would I need to doing any preperation to them such as hit them with some steel wool?

I honestly don't know if scoring will work. There is hope however, you can have them powder coated black.

You'd need to take the finish off completely, hit them with primer then paint making sure you don't get ANYTHING down in the threads. Only way I can really think of getting the finish off is small bead sandblasting. I'd probably send them out to have them powder coated. Keep in mind regardless of how you do it the two finishes between your lugs and rims may not match in color or finish.

Back