tuning confusion - DW Snare

Zeus Mutation

Hi,
Ok, so I understanding that heads and tuning them is pretty much a subjective endeavor...

I've read some interesting tuning tips here and tried to apply what I thought would work for me. Now I feel more confused than I was before I started, lol.

I just put on a new resonate head, Remo ambassador hazy snare, and a batter head, Remo coated controlled sound X (has the reverse dot for those who don't know this head type). This on a DW 14x4.5 maple collectors series snare. Its sounds so different I'm not sure if its my tuning job or the head type?

Originally it had a Ambassador snare bottom and a coated ambassador batter.. sounded great, nice full crack. What I notice about the coated controlled sound is the dot sounds great, warm & full, but the surrounding area is kinda thin sounding. Is this just the head type or do I need to tune it tighter? My thought is its just a coated ambassador around the dot area so the sound should be much the same?

Additionally, I was told to ignore the mumbo jumbo about snare tuning and make it tight if I want a nice crack that cuts through... for my toms though I follow John Goods instruction at drumchannel.com, try and match my resonate head to the drums natural timbre. They sound pretty amazing I must say...

I guess I'm asking... how tight should I go if I'm looking for a high full sounding crack? Additionally I'd like to train my ear instead of buying something like a drum dial.

Thanks All!!

That's one heavy head mate. At 17mils it's way thicker than an Ambassador. I've used one before but that was specifically to tune out some horrible overtones on a particular drum I had. I certainly wouldn't use one on the rest of my snares. For the majority of snares drums out there, I think it's just too thick and lifeless.

That's a pretty shallow snare. I know my meridian maple which is 14x5.5. Sounded horrible with a g2 on it. No tone at all, just the sound of snares hitting. I find a single ply is usually the best bet on snares. I have played some deeper snares like 6.5's that sounded solid with 2 ply or dotted heads but these snares I find usually I've a lot of overtones at lower tunins anyways and the bicker heads kind of take those out

Yup, your all right... no life with this head on my snare. Going back to a regular coated ambassador. I figured I wouldn't truly know the different types of heads unless I start trying them out.

Thanks again everyone!!

Early in my drumming career, I played on very heavy batter heads. I now use nothing heavier than a 10-mil head, such as a Remo Ambassador. I have tried many heads with sound control built in, but always come back to either the coated or clear Ambassador heads.Can't go wrong with these - especially on a snare drum.

If you truly want that real high crack (tune reso 3 or 4 notes higher than batter) save up for a 13" or 12" snare so you don't have to choke the life out of a 14". My 2 cents.

If you truly want that real high crack (tune reso 3 or 4 notes higher than batter) save up for a 13" or 12" snare so you don't have to choke the life out of a 14". My 2 cents.

I have a Tama Artwood 13 x 6.5 Maple with an HD Dry. I agree, you can really crank down the 13" + 12"' snares and not choke them. With the HD Dry, mine really needs to be cranked down so I get that Crack and Pop from it. Equipped with the Puresound custom pro brass wires. Nice dry, sharp, pop with some depth to it.

Yup, your all right... no life with this head on my snare. Going back to a regular coated ambassador. I figured I wouldn't truly know the different types of heads unless I start trying them out.

Thanks again everyone!!

Yeah - I tried an HD Dry, G2, ST, and Response 2 on my DW 5.5 x 14 maple Collectors. ALL OF THEM just seemed to suck the life out of this snare. Perhaps it's just the sensitivity of the drum? I dunno?

I too went back to the Ambassador batter, but cranked it a few turns below choking. I have to admit, it's got a mean crack to it....and I've got a growing collection of extra heads!

I have a Tama Artwood 13 x 6.5 Maple with an HD Dry. I agree, you can really crank down the 13" + 12"' snares and not choke them. With the HD Dry, mine really needs to be cranked down so I get that Crack and Pop from it. Equipped with the Puresound custom pro brass wires. Nice dry, sharp, pop with some depth to it.

Nice drum in the arsenal!

Ah the mystery behind the "Snare Crack".
How can one fine tune to get that sought after sound. I like to describe it as the tuning range just before the pop. IF you hear pop then stop tightening your batter. leave the reso alone and back off your batter lugs a bit and comeup slowly. ONce you reach the crack threshold stop.
You have reached your destination.

Back