Drum Badges: Should there be any: Good, bad ugly, post your pics.

I really think this is one of the silliest complaints I have ever heard. Beyond the fact that displaying a logo is about company recognition, it should be a matter of pride for the owner. If you own Mapex Saturns, you're the PROUD OWNER. If you're not proud to have them, happy to have them, why do you have them?

Second, even if you have no pride in your equipment, logos are relatively small. Honestly now. My Mapex Saturn badges are about 3"x1.5". The logos on my Paiste 2002s are 3.5"x3.5". That's minuscule when put in comparison to the overall size of the cymbals/drums!

Maybe I'm just crazy but I go out of my way to make sure the logos/badges are clean, visible and untarnished.

And I have yet to see a complaint about the HUGE logos on bass drum heads. Or is that okay because you can replace those, if you so wish?

I bought my Ludwig Centennials because of the sound and finnish. The badges were a distraction and in fact most people that ask about my drums ask "What brand are those?" because the badges are an unfamiliar shape and hard to read. If Ludwig had used their more tasteful and smaller keystone badge, they would still be on the drums.

I believe this to be the most obnoxious ego driven logo of all time. Were it not attached to such a lovely little drum I'd never have bought it.

IMGP5282.jpg

Last edited:
That has always struck me as the ugliest color scheme ever, however I love blue and olive badges. I guess it's just nostalgia from my high school marching band days, but it must be something else because I don't get teary eyed when I see a remo pinstripe.

I do prefer the pointy blue and olive badges even though they did get caught on everything.

GOOD BADGES
drumcodrums.jpg

gretsch_rounde_large.jpg

keystone_badge_pre_serial_number_large.jpg

P10_Fibes_1.jpg

Man, I couldn't agree with you any more. I love the keystone ludwig badge, I regret not getting the keystone on my LM402. Instead, I got their 100th anniversary badge, but that makes it as if its a collectible, am I right?

Man, I couldn't agree with you any more. I love the keystone ludwig badge, I regret not getting the keystone on my LM402. Instead, I got their 100th anniversary badge, but that makes it as if its a collectible, am I right?

It certainly would make it more rare. Less cool, but more rare. :p

It certainly would make it more rare. Less cool, but more rare. :p

Haha exactly, and since it was my first snare drum ever bought that didn't come with a kit, I wanted to make it like no other snare drum, if that makes sense, being that the snare if customized. (tube lugs, P86, 100th badge...). But next time I order another snare from ludwig, keystone badge or nothing!

I tell people when they ask about the JB (and they always do!) it stands for James Brown.

John Blackwell Tama snare.

Wish you'd come to the gig last night Pol. We kicked arse!

Well i guess you have to have badges to help identify and promote your drums but the JB and Mapex badges and especially PDP X7 logo's are too much and look pathetic.
I find that the simpler the badges are, the better they are, i like the old premier (XPK and APK) badge and the sonor SQ2 badges, purely for their simplicity.

Taye makes some great drums, but I do not like their badges. Just a little tacky to me.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-03-26 at 6.30.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-03-26 at 6.30.02 PM.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,818
I happen to really like the logo's on my drums, even though they don't go well with the finish..

Attachments

• 009 (Large).JPG
    009 (Large).JPG
    98 KB · Views: 1,965
Back