Another Bubinga kit

something to do with mobility cause they are heavy and he has trouble carrying them..which is totally understandable since they are basically thick solid wood.

Alex

Not true, carefull when you mention thing like this. :) His drum are made in African mahogany, they are as light as any other ply shell out there. He sell them because he need more cash flow, and want something he can beat up on stage and on band pratice.

Anyway, I don't wanna remove the focus on Andy's kit.

By the way,let's make something clear. Hardware on the shell, is by far more heavy then the shell itself.

Last edited:
More wood = more drum = more weight.

More glue = less drum = less weight.

Life is full of choices.

And even in ply type construction the choice of density of hardwood used during not just in stave construction but also ply type construction can add further weight to the mix. Anyone picking up any of my 9 ply bubinga shells with no hardware attached would notice the difference right away compared to bare bones maple shells as one example. Bubinga is one of the top 5 dense and heavy hardwoods to work with on the planet which shows it's added weight even in ply type shells too from my experience.

WOW...another gorgeous kit...my envy is rising every time I look at one of these kits! Congrats to Andy on a fine kit and Unix nails another 10!!! Beautiful JOB.

And even in ply type construction the choice of density of hardwood used during not just in stave construction but also ply type construction can add further weight to the mix. Anyone picking up any of my 9 ply bubinga shells with no hardware attached would notice the difference right away compared to bare bones maple shells as one example. Bubinga is one of the top 5 dense and heavy hardwoods to work with on the planet which shows it's added weight even in ply type shells too from my experience.

True, construction methods being equal, a denser wood will make a heavier drum.

Bubinga is one of the top 5 dense and heavy hardwoods to work with on the planet.

Sorry but not true, I don't wanna offend you but there is wood, way more harder to work with. Here is the Janka rating list:

Ipe / Brazilian Walnut / Lapacho 3684
Cumaru / Brazilian Teak 3540
Ebony 3220
Brazilian Redwood / Paraju 3190
Angelim Pedra 3040
Bloodwood 2900
Red Mahogany, Turpentine 2697
Spotted Gum 2473
Brazilian Cherry / Jatoba 2350
Mesquite 2345
Santos Mahogany, Bocote, Cabreuva 2200
Pradoo 2170
Brushbox 2135
Karri 2030
Sydney Blue Gum 2023
Bubinga 1980

In red are the wood I worked with in the last 6 months. Beleive me the other where by far a lot harder to work with. They heat and burn the cutter on the lathe 5 time faster then Bubinga. Bubinga is a lot harder then Maple, but strangly it can be work fairly easy.

Okay I stand corrected. It certainly still on top of a list of select hardwoods more frequently used for making drums that is far denser and heavier than most other woods commonly used in making drum shells. I think we can both agree on that.

Okay I stand corrected. It certainly still on top of a list of select hardwoods more frequently used for making drums that is far denser and heavier than most other woods commonly used in making drum shells. I think we can both agree on that.

Yep, but you know Jatoba is harder, but I didn't like his sound. Bubinga is the new thing in drum, soon it will be as most or even more popular then Maple. Half of what I build right now is in Bubinga, the other half is split with the rest of the spicies.

Sorry but not true, I don't wanna offend you but there is wood, way more harder to work with. Here is the Janka rating list:

Ebony 3220
Angelim Pedra 3040
Bloodwood 2900
Spotted Gum 2473
Mesquite 2345
Pradoo 2170
Brushbox 2135
Karri 2030
Sydney Blue Gum 2023
Bubinga 1980

In red are the wood I worked with in the last 6 months. Beleive me the other where by far a lot harder to work with. They heat and burn the cutter on the lathe 5 time faster then Bubinga. Bubinga is a lot harder then Maple, but strangly it can be work fairly easy.

Which one of these is "ironwood"?

Which one of these is "ironwood"?

Ironwood refers to many different kinds of wood, from all over the world. Cooktown ironwood, from which my drums are made, has a Janka hardness of about 3,900. There are only a few woods harder than this, such as lignum vitae.This is an insane wood, rating 4,500. Hard maple is 1,450.

The measurement refers to the kilograms of force needed to embed a 1-cm steel ball halfway into the wood.

Bubinga is all the rage right now. I'm waiting for CB700 and Sunlite to come out with bubinga kits.

Totally. :p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but bubinga is a bit more costly and rare than these wankers would be cranking out kits of, in some Mexican factory, no? These guys haven't even heard of maple yet.

I chose it because it's becoming renown for its sound and Frank likes it better than maple.

It's an expensive wood and i've been told it's price will keep going up due to it's limited availability. I was also told in all ply type construction {no filler woods} it's tough to work with especially AA flame bubinga wood being a hard wood with the wild grain patterns the type used on my all 9 ply bubinga kit. In fact in smaller jazz sizes mine is the only kit made by the company in Taiwan that they have shipped to North America at present due to the challenges using AA flame bubinga wood in all ply type construction shells

Don't think you'll see the beginner sets anytime soon in bubinga wood for 2 reasons: it's a more expensive wood to purchase in a raw state and has many more challenges to make into ply type construction shells making production cost more expensive to produce them at least with good results.

All I have to say is, this kit reminds me an awful lot of Rob's (fourstringdrums) if you guys remember it.

Yes it does. i miss him. if you look around on the forum you can find his kit..i just cant remember what the title of the thread is.

Well if money wasn't a problem i'd suggest that he keep them as his home studio kit and and get another lightweight portable kit for hauling around. That may not be an option {?}.

As well as Andy congrats by the way on your own new Unix beauties zambizzi.

Any idea what he wants for them, how to contact him, or see them. ?

Ebony 3220
Angelim Pedra 3040
Bloodwood 2900
Spotted Gum 2473
Mesquite 2345
Pradoo 2170
Brushbox 2135
Karri 2030
Sydney Blue Gum 2023
Bubinga 1980

Unix, I know this is a sensitive issue, but how do you get your wood and do you know it was taken sustainably? People have asked me this question about my kit and I've answered on my kit's thread.

I've heard Africa has some ecological problems due to overdevelopment, deforestation and mining. Who cuts your wood for you and how do they do it?

Back