Joey Jordison

To tell you guys the truth, Slipknot is my favourite band and i myself am a drummer and Joey Jordison happens to be my idol. This guy is one of the fastest drummers in history and hes one of the best also.

Joey is a good drummer. I personally like Slipknot and all of you who say they suck I don't care what you think. Music is about personal likes and dislikes. I know most of you think the solo is a crowd pleaser but what would you expect? he is spinning around on a platform. If you don't like it don't listen to it and don't watch the solo!

He usually plays two singles. I always thought they were cobras but I have been told he has switched to the eliminators.

I thought he played Cobra's now..

Stopped using eliminators in 2005?

Could be wrong. Would be cool to know!

If he changed, it wouldn't be the first time he's gone for the worse. The moment he decided to switch to Pearl from Orange County?

Fool =P

Love him aha!

Laul.

Well on their first album he used to play cobras and on Iowa too - Iowa is my favourite. It´s completly brutal!
And yeah I do find it strange of him changing from ocdp to pearl drums...

it has been stated before, but i'll re-iterate:

joey has been endorsed by pearl since the success of Iowa, so it would make sense that he plays pearl drums, hardware and has his siggy pearl snare, so i answer to the question; yes he does now play pearl pedals, not entirley sure which ones though so sorry bout that.

in the (sometimes infamous) disasterpeices solo video, he is playing his OCDP kit with cobra pedals etc, but the 9.0 live CD solo (which i personally think is better) he is playing his pearl masters MMX complete w/pearl hardware and sig. snare

hope this elightens some people :)

joey jordison reassurance

for all of you who still think joey's feet arnt that fast or arnt up there with the top listen to the begining of me inside....

Re: joey jordison reassurance

Joey Jordison is a very good drummer - solid technique - I know it...

Doing the job with Slipknot - yes.

But it's not a sport or competition.

If so, he wouldn't be selected as a member of the US Olympic Team.

Bernhard

i recently watched his solo when he spins around on the thingie.. and the solo had no groove.. it was just fast double bnass with a few fills mixed in... no solid beat or groove. very disapointed

Why does a solo have to have a groove? If every solo had a groove then Drum Solo's would be pretty boring wouldn't they?

I've seen plenty of Buddy Rich or Tony WIlliams (to name 2) solo's without any sort of groove - not that I'm comparing Jordison with them, but you see my point...

Why does a solo have to have a groove? If every solo had a groove then Drum Solo's would be pretty boring wouldn't they?

I've seen plenty of Buddy Rich or Tony WIlliams (to name 2) solo's without any sort of groove - not that I'm comparing Jordison with them, but you see my point...

i know im going to get BASHED the crap out of.. but iv watched a few buddy rich videos here on drummerworld... and sure they were fast, but i like the thomas lang nautilous (spelling?) video muchhh more.

Sounds to me like he did everything right. Just like Krupa. ;-)

Agreed.

I think it's important that a drummer - or any musician - play what the music calls for. Depending on the style of music, that could be a funky groove, mindless Phil Rudd backbeat, fast/mechanistic/soulless blast beat, highly syncopated jazz polyrhythm, whatever. I think it's dumb to say "Joey doesn't play a groove" when that aspect of music isn't valued in this particular genre. He plays what he needs to play and does it well in terms of what the genre calls for. Slipknot's brand of metal is as subtle as a jackhammer and the drummer needs to support that.

To me, Ringo Starr is one of the most uninspiring, limp drummers I have ever heard. But he played exactly what the music needed.

www.terrasonus.com

Agreed.

I think it's important that a drummer - or any musician - play what the music calls for. Depending on the style of music, that could be a funky groove, mindless Phil Rudd backbeat, fast/mechanistic/soulless blast beat, highly syncopated jazz polyrhythm, whatever. I think it's dumb to say "Joey doesn't play a groove" when that aspect of music isn't valued in this particular genre. He plays what he needs to play and does it well in terms of what the genre calls for. Slipknot's brand of metal is as subtle as a jackhammer and the drummer needs to support that.

To me, Ringo Starr is one of the most uninspiring, limp drummers I have ever heard. But he played exactly what the music needed.

www.terrasonus.com

I agree completely. I myself used to find Brad Wilk (Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine) boring and unoriginal, until I realized how much is playing complimented the other musicians.

When people slam drummers for being too technical, no technical enough, or unoriginal, they're usually taking the playing out of context.

PS: Deathmetalconga your avatar is freaking me out...

Re: can YOU drum like joey?

Yes, I can drum like Joey. I actually got paid $1200.00 to play on 6 tracks recently in which I was told to "drum like Joey".

I find that funny because Joey is drumming like Dave Lombardo, only not as good.

Re: can YOU drum like joey?

that solo is a great piece of showmanship and truly not a good piece of musicianship. nice to watch but not to listen to. you should aspire to putting on a show like that but not to being able to drum like that. want to hear good solos in the same general genre then look up jason bitner or thomas haake. hell even aquiles priester is faster and more musical.

j

I think many drummers miss the point when it comes to soloing in front of an audience of non drummers. As Louis Bellson has so often said, Krupa was not the most technically gifted drummer of his era, but all he had to do was hit the splash cymbal and smile to bring the house down. Non drummers simply do not understand the complex riff in 5 taking place over the syncopated 7/8 played with the feet. Simply put, once people reach a point of not understanding what is going on, they can lose interest.

Many times when non drummers talk to me about drum solos, they mention Ina Gadda da Vida. Certainly not the most complex of solos. But non drummers are able in some way to relate to it and remember it.

It is our job to please the audience. That is what Joey did.

This idea that every drum solo must in some way be superior to every other drum solo fails to take into acount musicality. Drumming is NOT a sport.

Back