Evans head for 14x10 wood snare

evans_69

Silver Member
Just bought a hd dry and don't like it. Was thinking maybe a straight g2 or a pc rev dot. What would you recommended?

A deep snare like that needs a two ply head.
The G2 should work well.

Depends on the shell, edge, and sound you want.

Are the heads being damped? With gels or a ring? Some folks will suggest gaffers tape or painters tape. Your wallet (if it's not to big) works wonders in a pinch. Throw your wallet up there and see if the sound improves. I have yet to used any drum head ever that sounded good right out of the box. I have always had to do something and that means felt strips, denim stips, gels, rings, tapes (of various types), and the wallet.... I never employed the internal felt mechanism as I don't think any of my snares came with that gadget.

I like Evans EC-2 for toms. Remo's are okay I used to use the Black Dot line on toms. I'm not sure if they are still making those. They were thick and made for heavy hits. I've lightened my touch around the kit over the years.

I used an EC Snare batter on a 14x8" maple snare which worked pretty well.

Knowing what you didn't like about the HD Dry would help us give alternatives...

The dry heads are really dry, perfect for taming the occasional drum that wants to hown, but they tend to sound limp on most other drums. I'm not surprised it didn't sound good on a marching size drum. There's a lot of air that needs ti be moved in a shell that size, and a head with holes around the edge provides too much venting.

Bermuda

Sorry, was too dry and dead. Think i am gunna go for a standard G2 with a dab of moongel. Worried the Power center will be a little too open.

Depends on the shell, edge, and sound you want.
Agreed. What are you shooting for? Low, med, or high tuning? Body or cut, etc?

If you want to go deep, sometimes a 10mil single ply like G1 coated will get you more tone than a thicker or twin ply head. A little gel to tame the wires & high edge overtones, & you're there. Just a suggestion, but it depends very much on the drum.

If you want to go deep, sometimes a 10mil single ply like G1 coated will get you more tone than a thicker or twin ply head. A little gel to tame the wires & high edge overtones, & you're there. Just a suggestion, but it depends very much on the drum.

Agreed, one of my favorite snares is a 14x10 and it sounds great with a coated single ply head. Just tune it to your liking and add a little muffling to suit your taste. I prefer to use a little piece of silicone window cling but Moongel or wadded paper works just as fine.

Back