Todd Sucherman here!

Volentry--

Well, I'd love to come there. I have to be invited though, and they'd have to fund the trip! Hopefully it'll happen one day. Thanks.

Todd
Haha that's great man. I asked one of the salespersons in this music store and she said if the drummer are using the brands they are selling, then yeah they could come.

And you use Pearl, Sabian, and Remo, which they sell! I'll try to ask them if they could invite you.

Hi Todd,

Just after some advice.

I've played for many years, played hundreds of gigs, and I'm comfortable and confident in my ability as a drummer.

However, I feel I don't do myself justice in my solo spot with the bar band I play in.

I practice a lot at home (on a Roland kit) and often work through ideas I might want to work through in a 2-3 minute solo.

However, come the gig when the singer introduces me, this work goes out of the window and I'll just thrash away for 30 seconds, looking around at the audience and bandmates, culminating in predictable double-kick quads or Bonham-type triplets.

It's clearly a mental issue.

Any tips for a more focused approach to soloing?

Cheers

Hey Todd...

Hope you're getting enough sunlight with all this editing!

Just this thing I came across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og1w-PqzSRE

Man, when was this? Gathering from your looks and from the fact that this must have been a smaller gig, I'd say some time around 1994 to 1995 ...just before the big Styx-ship had landed in your backyard!! Haha...always great to get a peek at early stuff of you...which is rare anyways.

Thanks, Todd...keep up the good mood!

Andreas

PS: Thanks to MM1 I now practice double-bass...and it's really affecting my left foot hi-hat play in a very positive way...getting a lot more solid and independent.

Supermac--

Relax. Play music, say something, and take your time building something on the kit. It is a mental issue. Sounds like you're riding an unnecessary emotional wave and climaxing prematurely so to speak. Relax and breathe. Relax and have fun exploring your ideas on the kit and don't feel pressure to be an instant "crowd pleaser" (by just playing fast loud stuff). Relaxing is the key, and I hope this helps.

Andreas,

Oh, Christ....look at that. I did that one gig with that guy. Hey, it was a gig! And I knew some of the dudes in the band. That was at a giant food festival. I wanna say '92-'93 for that. Yikes. Well, glad the dvd is helping!

To you Canadian drummers out there: Doing a clinic on March 14th and doing 5 dates with Gowan. The Gowan dates are Fallsview, Sherebrook, Montreal, Quebec City. Clinic info below. Come out and say hi!

Cheers,
Todd

The Arts Music Store
Monday, March 14th 7pm
Royal Canadian Legion
707 Srigley St. Newmarket, Ont.
905-898-7164

Todd, love the new kit. Like you they are pure class! Can't wait for M & M pt 2. As I've said before your video is one of the few that I've actually found useful (Stanton's latest is pretty awesome too).

So you finally got another 6"!!! What made you cave in? Any any more pics available anywhere? I'd love to see more of the kit although do't mind if I have to wait for the video!!

Keep it up! Great player and great guy!

Hi great Todd,
your music is the best!
I am a drummer and I want to ask where can I find the sheet and maybe the tears of joy minus drum music.
I would like to study it, your version is wonderful...

Thanks a lot and sorry for my english...

Gongbass--

Thanks, man. Just went with a 6" instead of two 8"'s for the home rig. It's to the left of that hats--pic below. Thanks again!

Pierod--

There is no play along or sheet music. However, there will be a transcription book for the "Methods and Mechanics" DVD coming out hopefully in November. There will be the transcription to Tears of Joy in it for certain. So hope that will help.

Hoping to have "Methods and Mechanics II" DVD out in September.

Cheers,
Todd

Attachments

• sixInch.jpg
    sixInch.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 2,798
Hi Todd!
Hope everything's fine with you! Some more questions.
In you DVD you talk about odd time signatures and you tell the story of a session ehere the chart written out where pretty goofy. What was that?
And will you put out a trailer for the new DVD soon?

Cheers from sweden

// Larta

Larta,

That session was the trailer music from the film "The Negotiator" and Michael Boddicker was the composer/producer. As far as a proper trailer for the new dvd, that's still a few months away. And I'll be playing the Sweden Rock Festival in June. I'm looking forward to it.

Anyone in Columbus or Milwaukee? Here's some upcoming clinic info:

Sunday, April 17th
Columbus Drum Daze 2011
Capitol Theater in the Rife Center
77 South High Street
Columbus, OH 43215
Doors at 12noon
1-800-775-7372
http://www.columbuspercussion.com/news/2011/02/18/drum-daze-2011/

Saturday, May 7th
Cascio Interstate Music
13819 West National Avenue
New Berlin, WI
262-789-7600
http://www.interstatemusic.com/weba...nterstateMusic/ims/html/tshfclinic/index.html

Cheers!
Todd

Hi
Dear Todd,

Hope you are fine.

After you arranged the better places for the microphones on your kit, arrange the Gain for gets the Maximum peak(without clip or distortion) of them without attention to the leakages, or you use the Gain for Minimum leakages and use the ambiance sounds in your mix when you record in your studio?

Best Regards,
Ramtin HajatDoost
Tehran - Iran

Ramtin--

Sorry I can't answer that. I have an engineer who does all my stuff.....I just concentrate on the playing. One day I'll know that stuff, but for now I'm happily ignorant.

Cheers from Santa Fe,

TS

Hi Todd,
I've not long purchased your DVD "methods and mechanics". Love it !! One of my new favourites. It's one of the few instructional DVDs where I really like all the music on it too.

Do you have any plans at all to do any clinics in the UK?

Thanks and take care!

Hey Mark,

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your kind words very much and I'm happy you enjoy the dvd....and especially the music on it. I'll have "M&M II" out in September with about 15 different tracks on if from Styx, Jerry Goodman, and a few from the 2nd Taylor Mills record. As for clinics in the UK, I have none planned as no one has asked me! But I'll be in the UK doing a run that's Styx-Foreigner-Journey. Dates below. Thanks again and hope our paths cross at some point.
Cheers!
Todd

JUN. 04, 2011
London, England

London Wembley Arena in London, England with Journey and Foreigner
Click HERE for ticket info.
JUN. 05, 2011
Birmingham, England

Birmingham LG Arena in Birmingham, England with Journey and Foreigner
JUN. 07, 2011
Newcastle, England

Newcastle Metro Arena in Newcastle, England with Journey and Foreigner
JUN. 08, 2011
Manchester, England

Manchester Evening News Arena in Manchester, England with Journey and Foreigner
JUN. 09, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland

Glasgow SECC in Glasgow, Scotland with Journey and Foreigner

In the past several years, I have seen you three times playing with Styx, and each time you were great. Thanks for the great concerts, and say hi to Billy Jeansonne for me the next time you talk to him. Peace and goodwill.

Hi Todd!
I'm looking forward to see Styx at Sweden Rock this week!
Do you hang out with fans or anything after the show maybe?

Drumolator---

Thanks for the kind words! They are appreciated.

Larta---

Unfortunately for this one we are coming into the gig from Copenhagen and then cruising right back after the show to fly back to the States. Hope you enjoy the gig and sorry I'm not spending any time there.

Cheers from Manchester-
Todd

Hoping to have "Methods and Mechanics II" DVD out in September.

Cheers,
Todd

Definitely looking forward to that.

So there is actually more licks in your bag of tricks that you didn't show in M&M1...sweet!

The DVD of the show with the Contemporary Youth Orchestra is amazing !!

I'm 55 years old and not too amazed at anything these days, so this is a huge compliment. Consider it in the grand fashion of Buddy Rich !! If Buddy said anything positive about another artist, it was gooooood !!

Back