Jimmy "The Reverend" Sullivan

Re: The Reverend

I like the band a lot, and I think this guy is talented, but let him earn his wings. I think he over plays the double bass thing. It doesn't fit every song. And I think he needs to sell a few more platinum records and be a member of the drumming world a while longer before he should be on a site like this.

tambian89 said:
I find "The Reverand's" drumming to be a little repetitive; I feel the same way about Avenged Sevenfold's songs. I can tell that "The Reverand" is a pretty talented musician, but I cannot really understand what it is that makes everyone feel he is so amazing. I have heard many better drummers of the same style, so really, what is the "X" factor that makes "The Reverand" so great? Your thoughts?

- Marc

well i get that feeling when i hear the snare and that dbl bass and toms and how it goes with the music. i think that they r truley talentd musicainswho know how to make metal really touch the heart. although i get the impression that if they were in the 80's they would be on the glame side.

Johnny_Stacks said:
I love the reverend. But if you try to search him on the internet you can find close to nothing on him. and i do think he is an extremly underrated drummer also. i still dont see why people have not taken notice of him. hes amazing. i would love to see some solos of him on here!!!

- John

you're right, the rev is underatted, but please, can we who love his playing not overate him!
A7X are cool, yeah, whoever posted about in "blinded in chains" with the feet rudiments, (sory can't remeber who it was), that bit is cool, it put a smile on my face first time i listened to it. The whole album is really cool. And also whoever posted about the "horrible snare and bass tuning" i like his snare and bass, they help his unique sound, just Vinnie pauls drums helped him with his. It might a bit of a studio/eq thing i don't know.

yeah bernhard, please make a profile for the rev (jimmy sullivan not jhonny christ as i already know someone pointed out earlier, jhonny christ is the bassist)

Re: The Reverand (Avenged Sevenfold)

chops4kicks said:
This is the stupidest comment I've seen on this forum. He brings great fills with uniqueness and flare to genre not just constant buzz rolls down the line. And who says you have to know about jazz to be a good hardcore drummer. Roy Haynes is one of the best jazz players out there and i don't see him busting out 32nd note double bass beats, because he plays JAZZ not hardcore. The Rev plays whats good for the genre which most of the time doesn't have anything to do with jazz.

I'd first like to thank you for bashing my comment. As I've mentioned before, Blake Richardson of Between the Buried and Me displays a great knowledge of other types of drumming. I have Alaska, and I have heard City of Evil, and there is no doubt in my mind that Richardson is a better drummer. Although I prefer Between the Buried and Me to Avenged Sevenfold (whom I do not listen to), I am much more impressed with Richardson's ability to to incorporate other styles of music into his own. For example, the song "Laser Speed" by Between the Buried and Me is a Latin composition. I am not comparing The Reverand to any Jazz musicians, nor do I think he should play jazz for Avenged Sevenfold, but he does not bring anything new to Hardcore drumming; he simple rehashes what other Hardcore drummers have already done. Blake Richardson, however, along with Between the Buried and Me, seem to have revolutionized Hardcore.

- Marc

masonni said:
I think he over plays the double bass thing. It doesn't fit every song.

I feel the same way. To many metal drummers overuse double bassing. I have found many drum parts by metal drummers which could have been much more interesting without double bassing.

- Marc

The only A7X song I've heard is "Bat Country" and I kinda like it, and I think the Rev is pretty good at what he does. I'm not really into Hardcore, never have been, but they're alright. Like some others I don't really like the drum sound (on "Bat Country" anyway, don't know how representative it is of the Rev's sound choices)--snare sound is lost in the mix and the kicks sound kinda "Protooled" to me.

The Rev

Anyone know where I can find a profile of him?
I want to know what sticks he uses, cymbals, make of kit etc etc etc

I saw Avenged Sevenfold last weekend at Download Festival, he was AMAZING!
Great drummer!

Jake

Foog said:
oh god..i hate avenged sevenfold..i think the reverend has gotten just as much recognition as he deserves.

dude even if you hate avenged sevenfold, the guy is a damn good drummer

Re: The Reverand

wontgetfooledagain said:
Based on "Bat Country" I think this drummer (stage names are the dumbest things in the history of music) is nothing more than a person who can play fast beats on a bass and has bad snare sound. Whatever happened to groove?
Agreed. No tempo.
Um, I'm like, really young and I have more tecnique than him.
Really, really young.

When i first listened to bat country i really wasnt interested in his drumming all that much, but now when i listen to beast and the harlot, i think hes a really amazing drummer. His fills sound really good to me.

Yeah, does anyone know about his set up. Im interested in the snare he uses in particular, i kinda like it even though most dont't

Think ive discoverd the kit he uses,woo.For those who are interested: Dw Maple Collectors Series Drums, Black to Red Burst; 18x22" Bass; 7x8', 8x10", 9x12", 11x14", and 13x16" Toms (7x8' Tom not used live) 5x14" Pork Pie Snare Black DW Hardware and Pedals Sabian Cymbals (nt sure which yet) Pro Mark Sticks. This may not be 100%reliable obviously.

One more thing....A7X rule!!!

komodo said:
Think ive discoverd the kit he uses,woo.For those who are interested: Dw Maple Collectors Series Drums, Black to Red Burst; 18x22" Bass; 7x8', 8x10", 9x12", 11x14", and 13x16" Toms (7x8' Tom not used live) 5x14" Pork Pie Snare Black DW Hardware and Pedals Sabian Cymbals (nt sure which yet) Pro Mark Sticks. This may not be 100%reliable obviously.

One more thing....A7X rule!!!

I think you might be a little off on some of this stuff. He plays a PDP LXE series kit with all maple shells. The color is a charcoal fade. 18x22 bass, 5x14 snare, 8x10, 9x12, 12x14, 7x8, and 14x16 toms. He uses TX5BW promark sticks. And im not sure of his cymbal set up.

Avenged Sevenfold - The Rev

Anyone know where I can find any profile or something on the net?
Like a set up pic, info on what he uses (cymbals, sticks, kit) etc etc.

I can't seem to find anything...?

Jake

Re: Avenged Sevenfold - The Rev

Jake_White said:
Anyone know where I can find any profile or something on the net?
Like a set up pic, info on what he uses (cymbals, sticks, kit) etc etc.

I can't seem to find anything...?

Jake
He uses DW, Promark, Sabian, and Evans. On Sounding The 7th Trumpet he used some blue drumset but i'm not sure what it was. On Waking The Fallen he used a red/black fade DW kit with zildjian cymbals which is my favorite one. And then he had an even different one which i've only seen in the video for Burn It Down but now he uses a Charcoal fade double bass DW kit which I don't like as much but hey it's a nice kit. Plus he uses some Pork Pie..I think he uses a Pork Pie kit in the studio but not sure.

http://youtube.com/watch?search=the+rev+drum&v=kUYiUXy9DcM

There you guys go, a link to see "The Rev" do his thing....
He is good, not that great live. But guess what the studio can make anyone sound amazing, I love what i hear in the A7X albums, but when i realize some of the stuff is just way too good and never duplicates it live then there is a serious problem.
But all in all he is good, not underratted and i dont think over rated, i just think if you guys watch this clip it will say a lot!

BrynnerAgassi said:
http://youtube.com/watch?search=the+rev+drum&v=kUYiUXy9DcM

There you guys go, a link to see "The Rev" do his thing....

Not bad.......I'm still not convinced (I didn't think his durmming on "Bat Country" was al that great to begin with). He can do the metal thing, but he really isn't all that different from the other drummers in his genre (plus he talks like abit of a goon).

I know he's a Sabian guy, but he was using A custom fast crashes; then again, you can't hear cymbal companies in a recording.

- Marc

Re: The Reverand (Avenged Sevenfold)

chops4kicks said:
This is the stupidest comment I've seen on this forum. He brings great fills with uniqueness and flare to genre not just constant buzz rolls down the line. And who says you have to know about jazz to be a good hardcore drummer. Roy Haynes is one of the best jazz players out there and i don't see him busting out 32nd note double bass beats, because he plays JAZZ not hardcore. The Rev plays whats good for the genre which most of the time doesn't have anything to do with jazz.

i have your back on this one. just because you dont like a genre doesnt mean the people that play arent good. understandiong that makes me listen to alot of things and i can appreciate it too.

Here is my opinion. I read everysingle post on this thread and it all comes down to what music you listen to. I doubt that a fusion drummer would appreciate the revs drumming, but a metal head would greatly appreciate his apptitude of drumming. I personaly think he is a fantastic drummer, whos main focus seems not to be to beat up a drum set but to keep good time, which he does quite well. This is why I appreciate him. Think of bands like zztop whos drummer kept time like a solid metronome, was he critisised because he didn't play like peart. I think that some people in this thread don't like the rev purely because he dosn't do incredible fills for nearly the song like most metal drummers do.
I can also appreciate A7X for the fact that they can all play their instruement well. That's why rush is so amazing, because they can all play the instruement they play above the norm.

If you do not like the rev though, please back up why with an ansewer other than he isn't as a good as lombardo or kolialas,ect...

pimp_my_RIDE said:
I personaly think he is a fantastic drummer, whos main focus seems not to be to beat up a drum set but to keep good time, which he does quite well.

Yes, but that doesn't exactly make you a fantastic drummer. I can keep good time. Stu can keep good time. The difference between us and actual fantastic drummers - like, say, Gavin Harrison or Billy Ward just to pick two who hang around here - is that they do things above and beyond just keeping good time. They manage to do things which are actually creative and interesting, which I really didn't see any of in that video. All I saw was poor technique and stereotypical metal drumming without any spice or pizazz.

Back