Trying to convince myself to keep playing Remo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmaticus00

One I first got my drum set, it had Hydraulics. I didn't know how to tune at all, so I started whacking 'em. I didn't have any extra cash, so I tried electrical tape, post it notes, switched some stock reso which was something like a Smooth White (made the overtones worse). I hated the look of all those tom marks so naturally I heard about Coated Emperors being the most durable head ever. I didn't realize that I love low, full toms; I got the exact opposite with the Emperors. They were pingy and all I heard was the sound of the stick hitting the drum. I love the look of Pinstripes, but when I heard about Evans 360 I just wanted them so bad. I put my old Hydraulics on again, and actually tuned them with a torque key, and they sound so great!

So my question is: I've had Evans for forever; however, at my school they love Remo and they sound great; should I keep with my Hydraulics and what combo would make a deep full sound?
Maybe I got the wrong head for my cheapies, I have honestly no idea what I should do.

Oh, fun fact: I had those same Hydraulics for 3 years before I switched them out, so I can't keep them for long

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Evans hydraulics if that's the sound and feel you like.

What do your ears tell you? I think that's what it all comes down to. Your school can use what it prefers, however on YOUR kit the choice is yours. If you like the Evans Hydraulics use them.

So my question is: .... should I keep with my Hydraulics and what combo would make a deep full sound?

To me, 'full deep sound' are not in any way what Hydraulics provide.
Your ears may differ.
Maybe you want to try some simple 1 or 2 ply heads from Remo or Evans or Aquarian on ONE drum, and check out that sound, before changing them all that way. I am almost certain you will prefer basic 1 or 2 ply heads over Hydraulics.

One I first got my drum set, it had Hydraulics. I didn't know how to tune at all, so I started whacking 'em. I didn't have any extra cash, so I tried electrical tape, post it notes, switched some stock reso which was something like a Smooth White (made the overtones worse). I hated the look of all those tom marks so naturally I heard about Coated Emperors being the most durable head ever. I didn't realize that I love low, full toms; I got the exact opposite with the Emperors. They were pingy and all I heard was the sound of the stick hitting the drum. I love the look of Pinstripes, but when I heard about Evans 360 I just wanted them so bad. I put my old Hydraulics on again, and actually tuned them with a torque key, and they sound so great!

So my question is: I've had Evans for forever; however, at my school they love Remo and they sound great; should I keep with my Hydraulics and what combo would make a deep full sound?
Maybe I got the wrong head for my cheapies, I have honestly no idea what I should do.

Oh, fun fact: I had those same Hydraulics for 3 years before I switched them out, so I can't keep them for long

Okay. I read this a few times and honestly, I feel I need to make an intervention. I don't know quite where to start, and I have two rather potent IPAs in my system, so I might ramble a bit.

I started where you did, except my heads were Ludwig Silver Dots. Tape, tissue, bits of drumhead, all the tips to make drums sound like the records. But the drums on the records sound like the ones we hear in real life before the engineers get their mitts on them. So throw that idea straight out. Your drums with overtones will sound great to the audience or to the microphone. Honest.

Overtones are part of what make a drum project. Make it cut through the extraneous noise that is your guitarist and bass player and get to the audience. DO NOT inhibit these overtones.

Step out in front of your drums with your deadened Hydraulics about 15-20 feet and have one of your chums play them. Notice how they sound like wet paper bags instead of... well, drums?

The things you describe tell me that you are still working through learning to tune and to hear the drums for themselves.

Torque key? Only in drum corps, man.

Do a search for tom, snare, and bass tuning here on the forum, do some experimentation, and learn to love those overtones. Those are the true voice of the drums speaking out and being real.

Your snare will find a happy home at medium to high tensions (with the snare side being pretty high), your toms will find a sonic sweet spot with heads either in sync or with resos a little higher than the batters (and mostly unmuffled -- maybe a spot of gel here or there), and your kick will be a big booming tunnel of sonic thwap if you get the backside at a medium-low tension and the front a bit higher and boingy, in my opinion. But play with it. Play with each drum. Stop wadding stuff on the heads. Let them ring.

My two cents -- bin the Hydraulics and give the Emperors/G2s another go.

I had those same Hydraulics for 3 years before I switched them out, so I can't keep them for long.
Those are probably 2 years past dead .... but if Hydraulics are the sound you like, buy new Hydraulics. If you want to switch to Remo, the closest head they make (like Hydraulics) is Pinstripe.​
Emperors are similar to the Evans G2. And both of those are now where close, to Hydraulics.​

You said that you like a low full deep sound..and if the Evans works, then they have some options there,
For what your into, I would try the clear EC2...that will get you more tone than what the Hydro's offer, still with a punchy attack.
They will work in a band setting too, while the hydros are more "dead" sounding and will tend to get lost if youre playing in a loud band- unless the drums are micd etc...

The EC2 heads have a punchy , low end tone. You can hear samples on their site too..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back