adding drums to a roland v drum kit

Rabsahotti

hi,

i own a td-3 kit, and have recently started using ezdrummer and its expansions. i was just wondering if there is anyway to increase the size of the kit? let me make that clearer. basically i want to add more drums to my v drum kit, however with the outputs on the module it is only possible to add one more cymbal. in order to add say another tom what would i have to do? there must be a way as thomas langs kit is huge and im sure td-20 modules dont have many more inputs than the td-3

thanks a lot

rab

I don't think you're gonna be able to expand much using just your module....your td-3 module has one extra input (specifically for a crash)...the module has a total of 9 inputs...the td-20 has a total of 15 inputs (4 of them being aux. inputs)...one solution you could possibly try is a TMC-6...I believe you can use this in addition to your module (you will want to double check that though)...for triggering ezdrummer...I've attached a link to show you what it is...

http://www.roland.com/products/en/TMC-6/index.html

Last edited:
I have a friend with a TD-3. The hi-hat pad and both cymbal pads each allow for two different sounds depending on whether you play on the edge or the bow. So, you might be able to add more drums by getting a few 1/4" cables that have a stereo plug on one end and two mono plugs on the other end (like on this Hosa insert cable). Then, you can assign just one sound to each of your cymbals (do you really need two zones on the hi-hat?), and use the other sound for another drum. I don't know the exact specs on the TD-3 or if this will work right, but this might be worth trying.

thanks for the replys, think im gonna try and get a td6 module, and use the td3 as a slave via chain linking the two. the tmc6 doesnt work with the td3 cause its too low end im guessing. i have one more question however, im currently using ezdrummer and i was wondering if anyone knows how to change the midi note value on the td3 kit? the reason i ask is because i am trying to use the latin percussion add on, and because they number of instruments available far out numbers the number of pads i have available, this is the only way i will be able to trigger certain drums. thanks

rab

Matt is correct. You can get a stereo to 2 mono cable and use 2 drum pads that will connect into one port. You will lose the second triggering sound however. I have no clye what a TMC-6 is, but if you go this route, let me know. I can walk you thru it, I did the same thing on my TD6. I currently have kick,snare, hi-hat, 5 toms, 2 crash, and a ride cymbal on one TD 6 module.

Back