Snare Wires for Ludwig Supraphonic or Acrolite

I couldn't get a nice sensitive sound with my1967 Acrolite using Puresound wires.
As soon as I put just cheap gibraltar snares it came alive :)

I just re-furbed my late 70's Acrolite and replaced the snares with a new set of Ludwig 20 snares with the cord. Sounds great.

The stock ones are good. I have a 2012 black beauty and I put puresound ones on there and didn't really hear any difference.

Does anyone know how many wires the factory Acro and Supra's had? I have a late 60s Supra and am trying to bring it back to factory-spec, after years of experimenting with Puresound wires (which I do like).

My personal preference is 42 strand all the way. Really brings the drum to life.

Sadly since I've had my steambent maple my supras don't get a look in and I swore by them for years. I have 42 strands on my steam bent too.

It's a nice problem to have :)

Does anyone know how many wires the factory Acro and Supra's had? I have a late 60s Supra and am trying to bring it back to factory-spec, after years of experimenting with Puresound wires (which I do like).

Pretty sure it is a 20-strand.

Old thread, I know, but I thought I would share this observation:

Recently I bought a set of both the Ludwig 20-strand wires and the Gibraltar 20-strand wires. Damn, if they don't look identical, right down to the "Made In Taiwan" sticker. My money says they come off the same assembly line. Ludwig $15, Gibraltar $10. Hmmm...

Well there is only one Taiwan. I was looking at a Yamaha keyboard years ago that had the same mold marks and case numbers as the one in Radio Shack

Experiment if you can. After all, it's all up to your ears.

Good advice. Try a few brands and see exactly which ones sound better to your ear.

The gold Ludwig cord is what I use. Very strong stuff.

+1 I experimented on several builds with as many different snare cords as I could get my hands on and the Ludwig snare cord was the clear winner for me. It's all I use now.

I haven't experimented extensively with snares but I pretty much use Puresound 12 or 16 strand Equalizer snares on all my wood drums. I rebuilt an Acrolite and ended up putting the
Puresound Equalizer 16 strand on it and have been quite pleased with it. But to be honest, I haven't swapped out the snares yet on the Acrolite for an A/B comparison.

After years of trying to get the right sound from my 1969 LM400, I finally got it! Amb batter, remo hazy ss, and I removed the 3rd set of Pure Sound wires and ordered some normal Ludwig ones. It sounds so good. I don't know, maybe I'm not an expensive snare wire guy after all.

After years of trying to get the right sound from my 1969 LM400, I finally got it! Amb batter, remo hazy ss, and I removed the 3rd set of Pure Sound wires and ordered some normal Ludwig ones. It sounds so good. I don't know, maybe I'm not an expensive snare wire guy after all.

I prefer the $10 generic snare wires to pricy, noisy specialty snare wires.

Steve Gadd preferred crap (less) wires... Great story

While Puresounds sound fine to me, I prefer the cheap chrome wires too, not dark wire. They don't have to be cheap, they just have to be chrome.

Snares make a huge difference. Try a quad stariner symphonic drum and the differences are like a completely different drum between the settings.

I have some Puresound 20 strand wires on some snares that I switched out. Not too sure about them, though. They don't really give me the crisp, but warm and cutting upper mids I want. I think I want to find out what snares my Colaiuta sig and BB came with as I really like what they do to the sound.

Offcourse Puresound makes a lot of different wires, but stores here only really stock the most common ones from 3-4 brands. Seems many drummers don't give them much thought.

All my new Gretsch snares came with 40 strands, which for most things is too much for me.

I'd love to try a set of snares that used multiple materials for the wires. But I
also mix up multiple types of coffee beans. I just like the full range.

Back