Vic Firths similar to Jojo Mayer´s model

mabhz

Hi all!

I would like to ask for some suggestions regarding sticks.

I got used to Jojo Mayer´s signature Vic Firth model, and I really like them. I guess they are based on a 5A model. Here´s VF website info about this model:

Jojo Mayer (SJM)
Jojo's stick is a 5A style stick‚ but with thicker and shorter dimensions. Designed to offer a big sound and feel without a lot of weight.
L = 15 21/64" | Dia. = .577"

I have pretty big hands, and after experiencing with a few sticks, I found out I really feel confortable with shorter and thicker sticks, so I was wondering if there are other Vic Firth sticks out there with the same lenght as Jojo´s but even thicker and more balanced concerning the weight between tip and butt (Jojo´s is heavier on the butt - that sounded really bad....)

So, could you folks please point me some Vic Firth sticks that would have the following carachteristics:

. thick or thicker than Jojo´s model (at least a .577" diameter)

. short in lenght just as Jojo´s model (maximun of a 15 21/64" in lenght)

Thanks in advance, folks!!!

marcelo

Thank you, TopGun!

Oh man, thats such a bad news!!...

I have checked that page about a thousand times but Im really confused about the non-metric system there, so I dont understand which lenght is actually longer, shorter or closer to Jojo´s model.

Which would be the closest one in terms of lenght and yet thicker than Jojo´s?? Any non-metric system user could please give me hand??

Also, do you know of any Pro Mark stick that would be like what I want? Short as Jojo´s in lenght but thicker???

THANKS again...

To find which sticks are closer to the Jojo's, you will need basic math skills, it has nothing to do with units.

If you want comparison lengths (like how adding 1 cm is not the exact same as adding 1 inch) find a ruler with both units on it.

ProMark has a filter to search models:

http://promark.com/pmProductDrumset.Page?ActiveID=3956

I found two sticks that fit your requirements.

When I meant "units" i meant that its confusing to me because the "/" makes no sense to me. I never know if 16 5/16" is longer or shorter than 16 21/64" for example.
16 1/8" is longer or shorter than 16 3/4" and 16 13/16"??

Get my point? ;-)

Maybe you´re right, Im bad at math! And rulers here in my country dont have the inch measurement, at least not the ones I can have access to.

Also, 16.4375" length? Come ont, thats just insane. 4 decimal digits!! How that in CM!! Jesus....

But thanks a LOT for the help!!!

:)

PS - I checked the Pro Mark website, but couldnt find any stick below 16" that was thicker than .577. Which models are the two you found??

http://www.unitconverters.net/ - unit converter

I can't really help you on the notation. X/Y is a fraction, if you know what those are. Divide X by Y to get a decimal.

Phil Collins was one model in the drum set category. There are others in different categories, such as concert.

It's pretty hard to find (as I'm sure you have found) sticks that thick and shorter than 16". There are only two other VF sticks that I found. The Carmine Appice sig. (which is a little longer than what you wanted, but still under 16"), and the Harvey Mason sig. (which is also longer than Jojo's, and quite a bit thicker).

I haven't tried these sticks, so I don't know anything about their balance. Good luck.

Hi folks, thanks for the replies!!

I have just found one stick that seems VERY similar to Jojo´s signature model, but its appears to be a CONCERT stick.

I have absolutely NO IDEA what that will mean, what the differences, etc, etc.

Its the SD2 BOLERO
http://www.vicfirth.com/product/buynow/product.php?button=SD2

SD2 Bolero
Round tip. Perfect for light jazz‚ studio‚ orchestral and pit work.
L = 15 3/4" | Dia. = .635"

I have even found a 12 pack of these very cheap on ebay.

Anyone have ever seem these personally? maybe checked them out?

Any comments?

THANKS!!!

PS - I have a stupid doubt, that may sound VERY dumb = a diameter of .635" is actually THICKER than a .577", right???

Jojo's stick is pretty awesome indeed - I quickly got used to the speed and balance of it, and the .577 diameter fits my hand very nicely. My problem is quite the opposite - I'd like his stick with the tip, diameter, and taper but in a straight up 16" or at most 16 1/8" model! That I know too, does not exist at VF.

Hi folks, thanks for the replies!!

I have just found one stick that seems VERY similar to Jojo´s signature model, but its appears to be a CONCERT stick.

I have absolutely NO IDEA what that will mean, what the differences, etc, etc.

Its the SD2 BOLERO
http://www.vicfirth.com/product/buynow/product.php?button=SD2

SD2 Bolero
Round tip. Perfect for light jazz‚ studio‚ orchestral and pit work.
L = 15 3/4" | Dia. = .635"

I have even found a 12 pack of these very cheap on ebay.

Anyone have ever seem these personally? maybe checked them out?

Any comments?

THANKS!!!

PS - I have a stupid doubt, that may sound VERY dumb = a diameter of .635" is actually THICKER than a .577", right???

Yes, .635 is thicker than .577.

I have used the SD2 Bolero stick continually for probably 12 years or more. Needless to say, I like it very much. The tip is the main attraction for me, and I like the balance a lot too. I gravitate towards thicker sticks but I have been looking for something slightly slimmer, albeit with the other characteristics of this stick, for years! I'm really fussy about sticks BTW - and once the SD2 has got worn down the balance degrades for me & I usually pass them on to students.

I love the fact they're Maple too. I have never managed to play with Oak or Hickory.

Back