Protection Racket

Second that. I have the snare drum bag and a stick bag and they are top-notch. I plan on upgrading the rest of my bags as soon as I can.

Got them for all my drums (and Reunion Blues for my cymbals). There are well made soft cases that are more than adequate for MY needs. However, for a gigging pro like Charlie Watts, these are probably not robust enough.

GJS

I'll give another nod for PR's - with a small caveat.

Have them for my cymbals, snare and hardware bag.

They've all done very well.

The only case I wish they had designed a bit differently is the hardware bag. It was great for a long time until an underside plastic 'rail' broke. The problem is that there is now a jagged end of the rail that catches or scratches any thing it slides over. I checked into whether I could get that repaired and PR couldn't do it. Too bad as the rest of the case has held up well and is still good to go.

There are some guys at the Hollywood Sam Ash store here in Los Angeles who are hot on the new Ahead bags. They showed me the design of their hardware bag and it looks designed to never have that issue. The bag wasn't cheap but since I can count on it lasting a long time, I'll probably pull the trigger in the next year.

But again - the cymbal bag and snare bag are still in top notch shape. A personal favorite feature: METAL zippers. Not the plastic ones that permeate the bag world that eventually jam. Good one PR! Luv ya for that.

Jim

I have a PR cymbal bag. It's nice. The complaint I have about it is, the zipper should be in the center of the opening.

It would make it waaay easier to get my 24" ride out of the 24" bag with it in the center.

Off center as it is, I have to put the large cymbal in last so it doesn't get crammed under the seam.
I'd just like to not have to "think about it" in cases of just getting on stage, and needing to put stuff up quickly.

I guess it's not that big a deal, but, I have NO problems getting that size cymbal in and out of another brand bag which has the zipper in the center.

I actually like the new Ahead bag I got better than the PR though.
I was going to buy another PR bag, until the sales guy showed me the Ahead.

The Ahead cymbal bag has nice handle straps, the shoulder strap was a little more comfortable, the zipper pull tabs are bigger, AND it was $40 less than the PR bag. It's also just as sturdy material as the PR, but it has a little stiffer interior padding. I think the Ahead has a thicker bottom too, but I'd have to look (not at home ATM). I still like the PR bag though, I don't think it's junky or anything.

PR was recently purchased by Fender, and they changed some features for whatever reason.
Ahead was started by the people that distributed the original Protection Racket bags.

I also bought an Ahead stick bag and so far, it's pretty cool. It's on the smaller size compared to other bags I have, but it holds well enough sticks, and the front pouch is big enough to hold the things I need in it, and it secures very well.

Thanks for all the feedback, I'm glad to hear I made the right choice.. Haha... One more thing, I just picked up a set of 4 bags (well not really a set, you have to by them separately but you get what I mean) for about 240$.... You guys think this is a reasonable price?..

Although you've made your purchase, I have one PR bag, one for a nonexistent 9x13 tom and I was really impressed with the build quality. I used the top-notch Beato bags and those were very well made as well. Congrats! Feel free to move your drums about the city ;)

Back