Replacing all heads tell me what you think.

ADZ

Toms
12" tom
Evans G2 coated batter
Evans G1 clear reso
13" tom
Evans G2 coated batter
Evans G1 clear reso
16" floor tom
Evans G2 coated batter
Evans G2 clear reso

Snares
14" metal snare
Evans HD dry batter
Hazy 300 reso

10" firecracker
Remo controlled sound X batter
Hazy 300 reso

Kick
22" kick drum
Evans EMAD2 batter
Evans EQ3 reso with offset hole

Perfect thanks thats what I need. This is my first drum set so generic is a safer route for now. The only thing outside of generic I want to try is the G2 on both sides of the floor tom. Coated on the top and clear on the bottom. Would something like this work well?

I think a CSX batter seems like an awful lot of head for such a small snare. I'm curious what led to that particular choice.

I like all you have chosen except the 10" Firecracker. I tried thicker heads on mine and it's such a small shell that it choked the tone out of it. I went back to the original single ply head and now have a g1 coated on it. I just didn't like the tone of a thicker head on the 10" snare.

Like what you're doing with the floor. The same thing goes for smaller toms - I'd put a G1 over a G1 on a 8" tom, for example. Next time I'm replacing mmine I'll go for Suede Coated Emperors over Clear Ambassadors and with Powerstroke 3 and Evans EQ3 on the bass drum. May change the PS3 for an EMAD... I dunn'o really. :)

For all the heads out there, and I've tried the majority of them, to my ear, a simple clear or coated 10 mil head produces the best sounding frequencies. Talking just toms here. Simple gets the job done. Then you can muffle them (aak!) to your liking. (don't do it!)

The 2 ply heads sound better than the one ply heads from the drivers seat, but out in the audience I think the 2 ply heads sound too thick and muddy the crispness of the toms. (unmiced) Snare is the exception, I like a 2 ply coated on the snare, a 1 ply head sounds too thin to me on the snare.

The one ply head is bright with overtones as heard from the drivers seat, but out in the audience, the tone is alive and satisfying.

I've conditioned myself to like the overtones. Now I have to have them.

Uniin thank you thats the sound I hear in my head..huge. This is my first drum set ever. Before jumping into it I wanted to do research and make sure I have the right heads for the right sound. Now I come to these forums and ask questions like what will this head with this head produce as far as sound? lol I get answers like thump, dead, ringy, cardboard, etc. Some of these are self explanatory but if you have never heard the drum sound like this its just a word. Now I have this sound in my head and especially the floor tom. I wanted to do the G2/G2 on it to give it that huge booming sound but not sustain too long.

Cameo I was going to do the PS3 when I was looking up and hearing problems with the EMAD plastic ring cracking. Now again never played drums but I guess it was the way the head met the plastic ring. Also these complaints were before 2010. I then saw a video where an employee for Evans stated they acknowledged the problem solved it and all new EMADs should not crack (Plastic ring). This was after 2010. As far is the foam (i think theyre foam) rings go they get ruined lol cant fix that problem. The one on the reso side gets sucked in to bass drum and well they just suck. Thats why I didnt buy EMAD reso. As far as the batter rings go the head still sounds good without the foam rings.

Larryace I am using this mostly for studio recording and I heard about this that there is an important difference between live sound and recorded sound. Do you think they choices I made would be good for recorded. Thats why I wanted the 2 ply on my toms because I thought it would be better for recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAL7IjPuYuI

Here is a video on that EMAD statement I made in my previous post. Here he explains that Evans screwed us (well not me yet), then acknowledged it (Steve Jobs could learn a thing or two from them about taking responsibility for your actions), and then fixed it (yay!! what about my foam rings?).

For all the heads out there, and I've tried the majority of them, to my ear, a simple clear or coated 10 mil head produces the best sounding frequencies. Talking just toms here. Simple gets the job done. Then you can muffle them (aak!) to your liking. (don't do it!)

The 2 ply heads sound better than the one ply heads from the drivers seat, but out in the audience I think the 2 ply heads sound too thick and muddy the crispness of the toms. (unmiced) Snare is the exception, I like a 2 ply coated on the snare, a 1 ply head sounds too thin to me on the snare.

The one ply head is bright with overtones as heard from the drivers seat, but out in the audience, the tone is alive and satisfying.

I've conditioned myself to like the overtones. Now I have to have them.

+1

At the moment I have 1 ply all round, though my biggest tom is my 14x14 floor - if I had a 16 it might get a 2 ply. You'll probably find as the years go by you'll experiment with all sorts of heads. I've had Pinstripes, G2s, Emporers, until for the moment I've settled on Ambassadors all round for toms and snare (on my Sonor kit at least, the Premier XPK still has Emporers but might get Ambassadors next), and as larryace said it does seem to open them up a bit more out front.

They sounded *huge* at the last venue I played on Friday - though the acoustics of the room helped that too, and I spent days tuning before hand because I'm not very good at it! That's the only thing about 1 ply - I find the tuning to be more critical.

Anyway, this might change if I get the itch, but for now I'm happy.

Don't look at this as daunting though - it's a fun journey experimenting with all these different things; heads, sticks, cymbals, etc.

You've chosen a great set up in the G2/G1 combo for toms I think. Maybe try 1 ply when these heads wear out, or just try 1 ply on one drum and see how you like it, that way you waste less money if you decide it's not for you.

Now prepare for the tuning ;-) Search youtube for "Bob Gatzen"..

Back