DW or Iron Cobra (hihat)?

dbshorter

I'm sure this will always be a big issue of debate, but I'm wanting to get a new hi hat stand and I think I want to go with something top of the line. Anybody use either of the two?
Also, I know this is the pedals forum but hi hat stands technically have pedals so I figured that made enough sense to me to post it here.

Re: DW or Iron Cobra?

They feel roughly the same... I have the 9000 2 legger and I love it. 2 things though; the hi-hat clutch gradually loosens so you should remedy that with a gibraltar quick release one... and I think the cam is both a blessing and a curse - it makes sloshy, or open/closed playing a breeze, but I think the foot chick is a bit quieter because it's less direct.

I haven't sat down with the tama but just had a bit of a tap of it instore and it felt pretty much like the dw...

Might come down to how its appearance matches your kit or our bass drum pedal?

Re: DW or Iron Cobra?

Some years ago I had an IC lever glide hihat stand and would gladly use one again. It had very smooth action and was very quiet. I had it for about six years before selling it with the rest of my kit.

Last edited:
I own both an Iron Cobra lever glide and DW 9000 hi hat stands. I prefer the IC hands down. I bought the DW new last year when best buy had them for $99. I played one gig with it and have not used it since. It wobbles, the action is sloppier. It looks cool and that's about it. The IC is over 10 years old and has been through hell, but is still kicking.

No question, Iron Cobra.

My 9000 hat stand (2-leg) is much better for me than any other I've tried- including multiple ICs. I suggest not forgetting about either, and trying them out if you can. The IC is the more traditional option. I don't think they are very similar in feel, but that's probably a matter of how the ICs I've tried have been configured.

I also preferred the 5000 stand to the IC when I tried them both, but I didn't spend much time on the 5000 so I can't elaborate on that.

Give them both a fair shot. If you can't try them both out in a store or via local listings, get the IC first- cheaper and better resale if you decide you don't like it. I certainly will never be selling my 9000 hi-hat stand.

The Gibraltar Quick-Release clutch is a really great accessory to any kit. The IC clutches seem fairly advanced, but the Gibraltar is no-fuss, rock solid, and attractive-looking to boot.

(BTW, if your 9000 stand [i assume 2-leg] was wobbling, I'd be very wary of whether the legs were at the right height. Mine has some wobble when the legs are too extended, but all you have to do is mark where the perfect spot is on the shaft and extend it there every time.)

I have 9000 series double pedal and hi-hat stand. I like them both enough, but not enough to purchase again. I would buy Tama Iron Cobra pedals and hi-hat stand. I can get my 9000 hi-hat to stand firm, but you have to make sure you adjust both the leg spread and the reinforcement to the legs to compliment each other. This might be an easy thing to overlook when setting up sometimes. It is not THAT big a deal, but I end up fussing with it more than I care to fuss with a hi-hat stand.

I would also have to echo that the 9000 is not the most responsive hi-hat out there. It has smooth down in spades, but quick does not seem to be this hi-hat's forte, at least not my hi-hat.

I think I might look to replace the DW hardware on my kit with TAMA as soon as I can get my clicky fingers to stop buying more cymbals. I recently replaced all my old Tama cymbal stands with.. wait for it... more Tama Road Pro stands. Even back when I first purchased my Tama Granstar in the 90's, I was attracted to hardware that WORKED. It's just rock-solid.

I would say that they are two of the great hardware manufactures on the scene today. But YOU need to go down to your drum shot and give them a whirl. The difference to you might be night and day between the two and only you will know once you have futzed with them.

Road Bull, if you haven't already cranked the spring tension, do that... mine was set very slack from factory and it's much better now.

I've been in the same situation as the OP few years ago when I was shopping for a new hi-hat stand and after multiple tryout of what was available on the market I landed my decision on the Tama IC Lever Glide and I never looked back. One of the best decision I had taken regarding drum gears. That stand feel smooth and is very responsive, more over it's build the Tama way... The strongest name in drums.

I think the HH may be similar to BD pedals - i.e. a very personal choice.

I have the IC and love the bloody thing ... it just works for me very well.

And similar to scarlit, the thing has be used and abused, and is still as smooth and responsive as the day I bought it.

good luck,
radman

I have had the Iron Cobra HH stand for 15 years without issue. Accurate as day one.

I'm replacing it with the Speed Cobra stand (as soon as it comes in), simply because I want the easier switch (moving from/to) from HH pedal to left base pedal. Same degree/height/length/placement, etc...

Last edited:
Back