HELP! How to lower hi-hat stand?

Loosen the clamp and memory lock in the middle of the stand and lower it

Yes, and if that doesn't work, you'll have to find a new high hat stand. I have an old Ludwig stand that doesn't drop below a certain height, which is just at my playing level, fortunately. The height seems high for the lowest possible setting of a high hat stand...

This sucks, I just found out it can go higher, but not lower. Can anyone recommend a super-low hi-hat stand?

Remove the upper tube (smaller diameter) and cut it down with a hacksaw. Reinstall into the lower tube (larger diameter). Best to start slow. Take an inch or two off, and see where you are, heightwise. Best to always take too little off on your first cut, than too much.

Remove the upper tube (smaller diameter) and cut it down with a hacksaw. Reinstall into the lower tube (larger diameter). Best to start slow. Take an inch or two off, and see where you are, heightwise. Best to always take too little off on your first cut, than too much.

Woah, thanks so much! I'm gonna ask my dad to help me with that today (we have off school for election day, how lucky are we?).

Are you sure you removed the memory lock? I'm having a hard time believing a new hi-hat stand can't go lower than the snare drum.

don't cut anything yet. It may not be the tube length. A lot of the time it is the coupling that joins the two threaded shafts hitting the bottom cymbal seat. Be sure before you cut.

Also is the high how you already play or are you experimenting? if you get to low there unless you play open handed there is not enough room between your hands to play. You need some hight.

Are you sure you removed the memory lock? I'm having a hard time believing a new hi-hat stand can't go lower than the snare drum.

I'm having a hard time believing that too, but I'm SURE the memory lock was as loose as can be. I can raise it up, but not down.

don't cut anything yet. It may not be the tube length. A lot of the time it is the coupling that joins the two threaded shafts hitting the bottom cymbal seat. Be sure before you cut.

Also is the high how you already play or are you experimenting? if you get to low there unless you play open handed there is not enough room between your hands to play. You need some hight.

What is the "coupling that joins the two threaded shafts hitting the bottom cymbal seat?" I don't quite understand.

I know I need to do that, but I actually play open handed AND crossed, and I also do lots of rolls and stuff on the hi hat, so I need it just a tad lower so it doesn't look and feel so awkward.

I'm having a hard time believing that too, but I'm SURE the memory lock was as loose as can be. I can raise it up, but not down.

LOL, there's the problem. The clamp that loosens and tightens isn't your memory lock. There is another piece just below that. If you loosen the bolt on it, it should slide down the lower tube, allowing you to lower the rest of the hi-hat. That's how I imagine yours works, could be different.

in most hi-hat stands the shaft the runs up the middle inside the tube is two pieces joined by a threaded coupling. if you lower the tube to the point where this coupling is hitting the bottom of the piece of the stand that holds the bottom cymbal you will have an issue.

I actually have a very old DW5000 stand where this is the case. Fortunately for me I prefer a hight that is just above this point so I am ok.

Just take it apart, check everything out before you make a permanent change. It may not be the right stand for you. If you cut it you may have a hard time returning or selling it.

LOL, there's the problem. The clamp that loosens and tightens isn't your memory lock. There is another piece just below that. If you loosen the bolt on it, it should slide down the lower tube, allowing you to lower the rest of the hi-hat. That's how I imagine yours works, could be different.

Fine, you're asking for pictures...Everything's as loose as can be. The memory lock, and the little spinny thingy.

Pic0461.jpg

Pic0462.jpg

It's not clear whether the OP has actually lowered the stand as far as it will go. Silly, but worth checking:

1. loosen the memory lock and slide it up out of the way
2. loosen the wing nut that actually holds the inner tube and see if the tube will go lower.

If it is actually as low as it can go--and still too high--then I'd say cut the inner tube, unless it's brand new and returnable.

If you only need a couple of more inches lower, then go ahead and cut that amount plus one inch. The chances are pretty good that it will work. (Unless it causes the inner rod coupling to hit. You should be able to tell if it will once you withdraw the inner tube.)

I wouldn't worry about resale value, it will probably go high enough for others even when cut, and it's only a $62 hihat after all.

It's not clear whether the OP has actually lowered the stand as far as it will go. Silly, but worth checking:

1. loosen the memory lock and slide it up out of the way
2. loosen the wing nut that actually holds the inner tube and see if the tube will go lower.

If it is actually as low as it can go--and still too high--then I'd say cut the inner tube, unless it's brand new and returnable.

If you only need a couple of more inches lower, then go ahead and cut that amount plus one inch. The chances are pretty good that it will work. (Unless it causes the inner rod coupling to hit. You should be able to tell if it will once you withdraw the inner tube.)

I wouldn't worry about resale value, it will probably go high enough for others even when cut, and it's only a $62 hihat after all.

Actually, it came with my drumset, which is a couple months old, so I don't *think* I can return it.

I think I'm gonna have to cut it. Everything (EVERYTHING) is as loose as can be.

You did this? And it still doesn't work?

Yes, that's exactly what I did. I can even take the memory lock off, like, remove it completely, and still won't go down. I don't think there's any room near the bottom of the hi-hat stand for it to even GO down.

That should not be the lowest that stand goes.

Before you cut the center tube, go to the shop with YOUR stand and see if they have a another one like it.

If they do, see if it goes lower than yours.

I can't believe the center tube is that long where it won't go lower with the Memory Lock OFF the tube.

Yours might be defective, or have a super long tube that no one caught.

Cutting the center tube WILL drop the height though.

I cut just some of the tube on an older DW 5000 hat stand for my son (he was 5 when I cut it), and it goes almost all the way down to the height adjustment bracket, and it would sit flush with it if I cut another 1/2 inch.

It still goes high enough that he can use the stand forever, or until it breaks or something--then he can buy his own!

Well until you get if fixed or a New Hi-hat stand
you can raise your throne to compensate :^)

Back