Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz here!

lol that fould be the F shelf would it?

Forgot to mention Bryan Ferry, Flaming Lips, Samantha Fox, and the Fiddler On The Roof broadway sountrack!

Bermuda

Who else has Fad Gadget, Percy Faith, Faith No More, The Fall, Fatboy Slim, Filter, Ella Fitzgerald, The Fixx, Fleetwood Mac, Flo & Eddie, Foo Fighters, Four Tops and Aretha Franklin together on one shelf? :)
Well, I would. But then if you looked in my kitchen you'd see that I keep the parsnips next to the pasta and the popcorn. Organized people of the world, unite!

I agree totally. There are some more "serious" players that knock me for listening to Rush. I can't stand Neil Peart as a drummer, but I really like Rush. Only in rare instances will I buy a CD because of the drummer. At any rate, I think that in mentioning Britney and Co, you left out the original - Michael Jackson.

It's the whole package - the song has to work on all levels, not strictly because of the drumming, production, or lyrics. I really don't even think about lyrics, and so I have no objections to Britney Spears or Backstreet or n*Sync. Apart from the lyrics which clearly cater to young teens, a lot of those tracks really rock.

Hrrmmmm... Mamas & the Papas, The Fixx (huge fan), POD, Faith No More, Offspring, Alice Cooper, Simon & Garfunkel, Supertramp, Tower of Power, Aaron Copland, Candlebox, Blues Brothers, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Bonnie Raitt, Bob Marley, Frank Sinatra, America and Bread.

I'm pretty close.

Who else has Fad Gadget, Percy Faith, Faith No More, The Fall, Fatboy Slim, Filter, Ella Fitzgerald, The Fixx, Fleetwood Mac, Flo & Eddie, Foo Fighters, Four Tops and Aretha Franklin together on one shelf? :)

Bermuda

IAt any rate, I think that in mentioning Britney and Co, you left out the original - Michael Jackson.

Big fan of his as well... Bad, Off The Wall, Thriller, Destiny (w/the brothers) are just works of art on a lot of levels, in addition to being enjoyable to listen to (again, I'm not tuned in to the lyrics, so I don't know if the songs are sappy or not. Well, "The Girl Is Mine" is.)

Yeah, picking a top-10 would be as hard as picking a favorite snare or cymbal.

Bermuda

Well, I would. But then if you looked in my kitchen you'd see that I keep the parsnips next to the pasta and the popcorn. Organized people of the world, unite!

I am the same way (a little OCD, I guess). Growing up, my friends liked to pick at me about the way I organized certain things...especially my music. It always made sense to me, though. I could always find what I wanted to listen to.

Bermuda, I know this is a silly question, and you've probably answered it before, but where did the nickname "Bermuda" come from?

Also, wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for all of your work with Al. I love all of his stuff, and really respect you as a drummer--it's obvious that you do have to be extremely versatile to play what you play. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to get to play all that different stuff, but it'd be hard too...and I've always been impressed with your playing.

Bermuda, I was wondering if Weird Al has ever tried writing a Beatles parody, and which song(s) would be considered.

Thanks.

Bermuda, I know this is a silly question, and you've probably answered it before, but where did the nickname "Bermuda" come from?

Also, wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for all of your work with Al. I love all of his stuff, and really respect you as a drummer--it's obvious that you do have to be extremely versatile to play what you play. I can't imagine how much fun it would be to get to play all that different stuff, but it'd be hard too...and I've always been impressed with your playing.

Thanks, and Bermuda was given to me by Al, who thought early on that I should have a 'nickname'.

It's been my pka ("professionally known as") since about 1982.

Bermuda

Bermuda, I was wondering if Weird Al has ever tried writing a Beatles parody, and which song(s) would be considered.

Thanks.

In the old days, Al had short excerpts, Hey Food and You Never Gave Me A Tune-up, and we did record Pac-man (parody of Taxman) but got a C&D from George Harrison's people. It was pretty soon after Lennon's death and none of them were amused by much at the time (late 1981.) We were also prepared to record Gee I'm A Nerd (Free As A Bird) which technically qualifies as a Beatles track, but got turned down. We performed it live though and it was great to be Ringo for a few minutes. Also wanted to record Chicken Pot Pie (Live & Let Die) but got turned down for that too, and performed it live as well.

Beyond those, no other Beatle or related parodies. Al typically parodies current/recent songs, and may source an older/classic song if it lyrically fits the theme of the parody: Kinks' Lola became Yoda in 1980 when the Star Wars sequel came out, MacArthur Park became Jurassic Park in 1993 when that movie came out, American Pie became The Saga Begins when that Star Wars pre-quel came out.

There might be another example or two, but for the most part, Al doesn't delve too far back with the originals he parodies.

Bermuda

"Chicken Pot Pie"? Gawd, that's hilarious. I can hear it in my head. It's absurd that GnR was allowed to do that sub-par remake and yet what surely would have been a more respectful (at least musically) version was not able to be recorded.

"Chicken Pot Pie"? Gawd, that's hilarious. I can hear it in my head. It's absurd that GnR was allowed to do that sub-par remake and yet what surely would have been a more respectful (at least musically) version was not able to be recorded.

It was going to be a parody of the GnR version, but obviously it was McCartney had to grant the permission.

Bermuda

Sub-par? How do you figure it was sub-par? And how is a parody of a song more respectful (in any way) than a cover of a song?

It's absurd that GnR was allowed to do that sub-par remake and yet what surely would have been a more respectful (at least musically) version was not able to be recorded.

Sub-par? How do you figure it was sub-par? And how is a parody of a song more respectful (in any way) than a cover of a song?
Simply my opinion that the GnR version was sub-par. McCartney's singing was sublime; Axl seemed oblivious to the meaning of the words and sang it like a teenage garage rocker. And as almost any musician will tell you, a parody by Al is a compliment. It is respectful in the meticulous way that the song is reproduced.

Hey, I'm no fan of GnR or Axl either, but I wouldn't have made that statement. The same could be said about Weird Al.
You're welcome to your opinion but saying that a Weird Al song is "bound to be sub-par" is simply ridiculous and unsupportable.

That was the point I was trying to make. I really don't have anything against GnR (save Axl's lineup changes) I was just throwing out that it's ridiculous to label every work someone is going to do as awful.

We usually play several cities in Texas, so I'm sure some dates will be announced soon.

Bermuda

Back