Beautiful drum kit configurations

drums_n_surf

Maybe it's just me, but I think that a 1 up, 2 down kit looks amazing compared to a standard 5 piece config, and don't even get me started on a 3 up, 1 down kit...down right ugly. So what's everyone elses favourite configuration, purely on looks alone.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that a 1 up, 2 down kit looks amazing compared to a standard 5 piece config, and don't even get me started on a 3 up, 1 down kit...down right ugly. So what's everyone elses favourite configuration, purely on looks alone.

6 up, 2 down, 7 on the left.

at first i wondered how on earth that could possible work, and then i saw your kit on the link in your signature. That is amazing!

For both form and function, I prefer only one tom up ...

So on my new kit the 12 was moved down using a heavy cymbal stand, that still holds the 21" cymbal.

tomconversion.jpg

Then there is the simple elegance of "Very old skool"

TheBluesRocker.jpg

3 up and two down, of course. With the racks scootched over a bit to the right. With shallower toms, it looks great, in my opinion.

I never really gave it much thought.
It doesn't bother me to see toms over a bass drum nor does it bother me to see tom/s on the side.
If I had to choose, I would have to go with the tom/s set off to the side and a large ride cymbal over the bass drum on the other side set real close in between the floor and rack tom.
I also like drums to be low and almost flat. Same with cymbals.
I don't care for the look of deep rack toms and bass drums.

Ugly? Indeed.There is nothing better looking than my 3 up, 1 or two down Gretsch Renown in Cherry Burst. All of this sitting on my Pearl Icon rack. Anything less is just a toy. Man up. 8+)

Attachments

• CIMG0445.JPG
    CIMG0445.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 26,958

I partially agree with you; I love 1 up, 2 down. But beauty is in the eye of a beholder. I once had 5 up and 1 down (a trimmed down Ludwig Octa-Plus), double bass kit and I loved those drums. Drum companies offer many configurations because they appeal to many drummers.

GJS

My favorite is 2 up 1 down with the rack toms offset to the left.

I also really like 1 up 2 down though. For me, its all about having the right side of the bass drum open for a ride cymbal. I don't really like the 12 (or 13 for a standard setup) being racked on the right half of the bass.

1 up 2 down for me. Ever since I switched from 2 up 1 down, I've loved it. Plus, it's way prettier.

Like many others, access to the ride prompted the one up configuration ...

Here is my old kit setup for a low volume blues gig, a particularly nice looking 4 piece kit in an elegant setting,
I played bass on this gig BTW. We took my kit as it was much smaller to pack than my drummers for this out of town gig.

Katchegig100.jpg

No point in me posting my new kit project when it's finished then, eh Bob?
Nothing personal, and It doesn't bother me that some people prefer deep drums.
To each their own.
I wasn't jabbing at you.
I was answering the question of what I like.

I beg to differ on your 3 up 1 down remark. A mullet is to hair is what a "1 up 2 down" is to drum kits. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! And please know that I'm joking. ;-)
Photo0039.jpg

Photo0037.jpg

Back