How often should I replace drum heads?

I haven't replaced my heads since I bought my drums either.I bought my Ludwigs new in 1978.
JESUS CHRIST!!!
Replace your heads when they get worn or you can't get a good tone out of them. I usually go about every 6 months or so. Resos less often, snare more, bass less.

JESUS CHRIST!!!
Replace your heads when they get worn or you can't get a good tone out of them. I usually go about every 6 months or so. Resos less often, snare more, bass less.

Well, providing Pontiadict has a controlled technique and maybe even uses light sticks, there's no surprise there really. I used to bang the hell out of my drums when I started but the heads still lasted a while to be fair. My technique is more mature and refined now and I haven't changed my skins in years, and just about a month ago I got loads of comments on a youtube video about how I got such a killer tone out of the drums. So there you go.

Still, from 1978, that's really impressive. Well in Pontiadict.

T

Well, providing Pontiadict has a controlled technique and maybe even uses light sticks, there's no surprise there really. I used to bang the hell out of my drums when I started but the heads still lasted a while to be fair. My technique is more mature and refined now and I haven't changed my skins in years, and just about a month ago I got loads of comments on a youtube video about how I got such a killer tone out of the drums. So there you go.

Still, from 1978, that's really impressive. Well in Pontiadict.

T

Agreed. if you don't thrash on your set you can go years without changing heads. They're made out of pretty durable plastics.

Agreed. if you don't thrash on your set you can go years without changing heads. They're made out of pretty durable plastics.

Not necessarily. Heads stretch over time.
If you don't thrash, then you won't break/dent heads. You still should replace them every now and then because they stretch out and loose their tone. I don't dent or break heads, but whenever I put new heads on, they sound noticeably better.

If you don't thrash, then you won't break/dent heads. You still should replace them every now and then because they stretch out and loose their tone. I don't dent or break heads, but whenever I put new heads on, they sound noticeably better.

I recently replaced the heads on my set after 12 years. They were coated ambassodors and they still sounded very good. The new heads are the same model and they do sound a little bit better maybe 20% subjectively. I don't play hard and the old heads still had some life in them.

Wayne

Stretching is normal - that's one of the reasons why you can tune heads. When my heads loosen, I can just tighten them a bit. I suppose after a long while you would bottom out your tuning bolts in the lugs, but I've never reached that point.

It didn't hurt that my drums were put away for about 20 years.Shame on me,but I'm back playing again and loving it.And yeah,though I'm no technique master,I learned long ago you need not bash the hell out of your drums to get good volume and tone.I'm also aware
that it's pretty much time to try some new heads out!

John

It didn't hurt that my drums were put away for about 20 years.Shame on me,but I'm back playing again and loving it.And yeah,though I'm no technique master,I learned long ago you need not bash the hell out of your drums to get good volume and tone.I'm also aware
that it's pretty much time to try some new heads out!

John

Haha, that would definitely help John! I seem to be bumping into people with the same name as me over and over again recently. It's crazy.

Anyway, glad you're back on the kit!

T

or John?

John, I greatly disagree with your approach. Thirty+ years is ridiculous. They should be changed at least once a day.

Or, just change them when they start to sound bad and can't be tuned. I'm going through heads right now about every 6 mo. Kick batters...about 1/yr.

John, I greatly disagree with your approach. Thirty+ years is ridiculous. They should be changed at least once a day.
Or, just change them when they start to sound bad and can't be tuned. I'm going through heads right now about every 6 mo. Kick batters...about 1/yr.

that could get a little pricey!!

The funny part is that you might not realize just how much tone you lose by not replacing heads more often. I was playing my kit and thought, man these drums just sound BAD!

Then I realized I'd not ever replaced the resos. It sounded like a whole different kit.

But then again, I know a guy that has a kit with the original resos and he pounds like a maniac and they still sound okay. If he didn't bash so hard and retuned with new heads, he'd probably plotz.

jesus, guys, playing years without replacing the heads? you're not serious, are you?

I guess it's absolutely okay to replace them twice a year (resos also, never underestimate the reso head!), but it depends of course how much you play really. if you play a lot of gigs I'd say you have to change them quite often.

As often as you can afford. In my case - close to never.

I've only changed them once in their lifetime so far. But it's not that old. And they still do sound gorgeous to me.

I recently changed the STOCK tama heads off my church's drum set. Still seating, waiting to be tuned. Maybe I'll get another urge to change my own ones. But honestly - change as often as you can afford. If you can afford it why not? And by afford I don't just mean money - also the time it takes to change the buggers and get them back in tune again. Something that I truly despise.

They should be changed at least once a day..

HAHA!! Thats only an option fur us "millionaires". No a good way to check your batter heads is to take them off the drum, hold them up and see if there is any worn out dent.In other words, the head should be flat across the whole surface. If there is a loose spot in the center- they are worn out. With no tension on the head, they should still produce a kind of "tone". If you hold the head out and can see a loose flap where you normally strike it, chances are it needs to be replaced. If anyone knows what I m trying to say and can explain it better, please do. Reso heads are a little tougher. This process wont work so it will depend on how much you play, agressiveness, and recording priorities. Good luck!

I think zambizzi meant once a year.

My heads last me 2-3 years unless I rip one by accident. I'm not very picky about the perfect tone so unless there's a tear in one, it stays on.

Dude can I have the heads you toss after a day? :)

Years ago I asked my teacher how often I should change out drumheads, especially the snare. Without hesitation he said "when they lose that zing!"

Back