Broken Throne Fixed

jayp959

So I posted like a week ago about how I broke my throne seat bracket, and my friend took it upon himself to fix it tell me what you guys think. I dont think I need to ever get another one again. Its made from steel and welded straight to the post.
SEE:

That outta do it! Tell your friend that he did a good job. I had a throne break at a gig once. I fell over on my back. I use a high end sturdy Gibraltar throne now. I check it frequently for metal fatigue cracks and worn parts. I never want that to happen again!

That outta do it! Tell your friend that he did a good job. I had a throne break at a gig once. I fell over on my back. I use a high end sturdy Gibraltar throne now. I check it frequently for metal fatigue cracks and worn parts. I never want that to happen again!

That must have been embarassing!!!

Nice job on the repair...

That must have been embarassing!!!

Nice job on the repair...
It happened a few beats after our singer introduced the band members. The audience thought that it was part of our act. I play a lot of shared kit gigs. If I play another drummers kit, I inspect the throne first. I have found one other drummers throne that had a crack on the seat mounting. The throne is often overlooked by most drummers. I am shocked at the condition that many drummers keep their kits. I find stands with no rubber on the legs. Stripped bolts, missing cymbal protectors on stands, snare stands that wobble, Etc. Many drummers that I have met never maintain and repair their equipment properly. I'll see their kits again a few months later and they are in the same bad condition. They treat their kits like an X- Wife! I can't sleep if something is out of sorts on my kit. It doesn't take a lot of cash or time to keep a kit in good repair. Most repairs are simple.

Last edited:
It happened a few beats after our singer introduced the band members. The audience thought that it was part of our act. I play a lot of shared kit gigs. If I play another drummers kit, I inspect the throne first. I have found one other drummers throne that had a crack on the seat mounting. The throne is often overlooked by most drummers.

LOL!! If that happened to me I'd be doing the same thing. That would make me paranoid for a long time to come. That's true about it being overlooked. We all just sit and play and never give this a thought until something like this happens. Out of sight.. out of mind, I guess.

So I posted like a week ago about how I broke my throne seat bracket, and my friend took it upon himself to fix it tell me what you guys think. I dont think I need to ever get another one again. Its made from steel and welded straight to the post.
SEE:

The weld is probably where it'll break next, ya also lost some potability.

The weld is probably where it'll break next, ya also lost some potability.
Those welding beads look well done to me. I can't see those welds breaking. Not pretty, but functional! A good weld is stronger than the steel that it is welded to. I'll bet your throne is heavier to carry now though!

Those welding beads look well done to me. I can't see those welds breaking. Not pretty, but functional! A good weld is stronger than the steel that it is welded to. I'll bet your throne is heavier to carry now though!

Probably a great weld, I'm, sure your friend did an excellent job.

That weld is probably so strong, the material around it has a good chance of breaking. So yeah, the weld itself probably won't break, but there's always a fine line between weld and the existing metal, so... whatever you want to call it.

Hope it holds for you.

My old throne broke half way through my set, (i only weight about 165 but I hop up and down alot) I hoped up and when I landed the old tseat braket snapped and I fell down behind my set. We asked the other bands if I could borrow someones throne and of the 5 bands there only one responded in time for the last song, I had to play on that broken seat for another 3 songs. Im just glad its really sturdy now. The weight doesnt bother me especially when I want it to be steady from hopping up and down. And the portability issue isnt that bad since I usually have to set up straight from the van in like 10 minutes, less things to put together.

Back