Ludwig Supraphonic and Heads

tom711

Im replacing the batter head(remo controlled sound) and stock resonant head on my ludwig supraphonic, any suggestions on combinations that would get the most out of the drum?

Last edited:
I've been playing my 1967 Supra for the past couple of weeks. It's hard to beat a coated Amabassador on the batter side and a Hazy Ambassador on the snare side. For a crisper, shorter sound, try a Hazy Diplomat on the snare side.

HTH

Im replacing the batter head(remo controlled sound) and stock resonant head on my ludwig supraphonic, and suggestions on combinations that would get the most out of the drum?

It depends on what kind of music you play. No matter what, I would use a Hazy Ambassador on the bottom. If you play jazz, or lighter music, then go with what Steady Freddy said. If you play harder rock, or metal, then use a Coated Emperor or maybe even an Aquarian Hi Energy on the batter side. (I am currently using a coated Emperor on mine).

I loooooove Ludwig WeatherMasters on each side of my '67 Supraphonic. Basically the same thing as Ambassadors, but less hit or miss. :p

-Ryan

Hey Tom

I picked up a 72 Supraphonic about 6 months ago. I've tried a bunch of heads some evans, remo, and aquarian and the best head combination I've found is the Evans Reverse Dot for batter and a Hazy 300 on bottom. I use the drum for all genres and it works for everything so far. Nice and fat but when tuned a little lower but when you crank up tight and dry because of the reverse dot.

Hope that helps

Hey Tom

I picked up a 72 Supraphonic about 6 months ago. I've tried a bunch of heads some evans, remo, and aquarian and the best head combination I've found is the Evans Reverse Dot for batter and a Hazy 300 on bottom. I use the drum for all genres and it works for everything so far. Nice and fat but when tuned a little lower but when you crank up tight and dry because of the reverse dot.

Hope that helps

I don't like dots on my heads - they change the sound way too much. But this does remind me when I was in Kerrville, Texas last spring and needed a new Ambassador for my 10" tom. The guy said he had one.....with a black dot on it. I passed. You gotta plan ahead!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

Yeah, I'd reckon that a dot would kill what makes a Supraphonic special.... I don't even have the internal muffler near the head on mine..... but to each their own. :)

-Ryan

Im replacing the batter head(remo controlled sound) and stock resonant head on my ludwig supraphonic, any suggestions on combinations that would get the most out of the drum?

One would think that a CS would sound great on a metal drum and many drummers that I love the sound of their snare use a CS but I must say when ever I use it I hated it. I guess for me it was a little to dry and changed the feel. I do like to take out a little ring so I use either an Ambassador, G1 or Aquarian (I like em all but each is different), all coated with 1/3 of a moongel. I also like a Powerstroke with no dot.

I loooooove Ludwig WeatherMasters on each side of my '67 Supraphonic. Basically the same thing as Ambassadors, but less hit or miss. :p

-Ryan

Yea right? To me WeatherMasters are a big part of the Ludwig sound. I think the dyed in the wool Ludwig guys swear by them.

Does your muffler rattle? The one on my Acroite did!

Mike

Fortunately, no rattle. :)

This Supra is a '67 with a baseball bat muffler, not enough parts to make a racket. Though I've had other snares that have rattled plenty.

-Ryan

I play a 6.5x14 supra, been playing one for years. For rock and durability issues, I use a coated Evans G2 or Remo coated Emperor on top, always a Remo ambassador snare on the bottom. In the studio, a coated Ambassador on top as well. It always sounds great.

Not directly related but I've had a Remo CS Dot on both my '68 Acro and my Yamaha Paul Leim COB snares. I'll probably go back to an Aquarian or Remo coated (sans dot) on the Acro but there is something cool sounding about the CS Dot head.

I've tried more heads on the Leim model which is basically a Black Beauty knock off. I've used the Evans Reverse Dot and the Aquarian Reverse dot heads (as well as the Remo) and they all have a slightly different character to them with the Remo being the most different. My observation of the Remo's CS Dot is that it gives a great rock and pop sound. I especially like the sound when I do a rim shot off center. The dot has a light muffling effect but the area outside the dot retains the highs I like in the general timbre of the stroke. For me, it naturally produces a bit more 'honk' than if I had a straight coated head. I also like the center hit for a fatter pop sound. Tuned low to medium low it sounds great when going for that sound.Having the dampening material in the center of the drum as opposed to the edges just sounds different to my ears. I usually use Moon Gel but this combo sounds different to me.

Having said all this, I would only use Remo CS Dot on a metal drum (or at least a very ringy snare like fiberglass or acrylic ) and wouldn't try to use it for more gentle styles (jazz, acoustic, folk, etc.). I also think if you are looking for a lot of attack without a rim shot, a straight single ply coated head is the way to go.

Jim

Has anyone tried the new reissue "vintage emperors"?
Is there any reason to go with these over the normal emperors?

I have a Supra and I like a coated Ambassador top over a hazy Ambassador bottom.

I also like the sound of stiffer hoops (2.3 mm) over the stock 1.6s for the attack and increased range. I tried die cast hoops briefly, but they were just too much heft and the rim shots became too harsh for my ears.

You can never go wrong with the Remo Vintage Emperor over Ambassador Snare Side. This combo was used by Bonham, since Emperors were made out of the opaque film and were 7.5+7.5mil instead of clear plies coated 7+7mil.

any favorite snare wires as well?
at this point im looking to upgrade just about everything but the shell on my supraphonic

I still have the 42 year old 18-strand Ludwig snares on my Supra... and even the P-83 strainer (wasn't much mileage on the drum when it came into my hands). I'm not very fun! :)

What kind of sound are you looking to get out of yours?

-Ryan

Back