Steve Morrison

Re: Steve Morrison - pro drum tech (Tommy Lee)

hey steve i started playing with a country rock group called RodeoDrive (www.rodeodrive.8m.com) and i have a uestion about an up comming tour. Right now i run a click,moniter and a laptop through my peavey mixer in to in-ears but i am thinking a floor moniter would be a much easier rig to get around. But i dont want the whole place to hear the click...What should I do? Or what set up doues tommy use?

mick_tucker said:
hey steve i started playing with a country rock group called RodeoDrive (www.rodeodrive.8m.com) and i have a uestion about an up comming tour. Right now i run a click,moniter and a laptop through my peavey mixer in to in-ears but i am thinking a floor moniter would be a much easier rig to get around. But i dont want the whole place to hear the click...What should I do? Or what set up doues tommy use?
Bro, I would stick with your current setup... if you use a wedge, there is no way for you to still have the click without the audience hearing it... you could possibly streamline your current setup a bit... PM me with a detailed description of the rig and see if I can help you out....

Hey Steve, I am a HUGE Motley fan and of course a HUGE Tommy fan, and wanted to Thank You for showing us a up front and detailed view of his current kit, all I can say is, you have THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD, ok maybe the guy that hires at the strip clubs has a better gig than you, but thats it, other than that, I want your job, lol. I do have one question though, when you were showing Tommy's cymbal layout, you show that he is playing a 22" oriental china trash, according to Zildjian.com they show him playing a 20" oriental as well as a 11" oriental china right next to his hi hats, since you have hands on with his kit I am sure you are right, but I was just curious? Thanks for any info. YOU DA MAN!!!

wow...great site and thread. i am brand new but i think i have a question not asked yet...is there a pedal hooked up to that monster 32 inch kick? what the heck does he use it for?

INXSDRUMTECH said:
tleetech said:
On a separate note: I'm teching for Dave Lombardo and Slayer next week for their taping on the Henry Rollins Show on the iFC channel... check your local listings... :)
that sounds awesome. let us know how it goes. miss ya, bro!
It got cancelled last minute due to an illness in the band.... miss you too T.M.!!!!

e7z said:
dear tleetech! i has sent you private message. please, give me answer.
Thank you.
Sent you a reply. Hope we can work out the interview.

Hey Steve, love the thread, its awsome to find all this stuff out about Tommy's kit.

Anyways, I'm a HUGE Tommy fan, went to see the Crue at Copps Coliseum back in march, there were absolutely amazing!!

Well I have more of a request than a question. I've looked at all the pics on the thread, but I still cant seem to find a good pic of how all the hardware is mounted, like I can't see how the ride stand is mounted on to the rack for instance. So I want to know if it would be possible for you to send me pics of the kit as your setting it up, because you see, I study some of the best kits in the world and how everything is set up, but i dont seem to know how its all set up for Tommy. So it would be great if you could send them to my e-mail, [email protected].

Thanks, Mike.

P.S. Think it would be possible for me to get Tommy's kit for free once he decides to move on to a new kit for another tour?

he stevo wts up man hey i was wondering if you ahve any more details abotu the supernova kit or any plans of motle ycrue planning.
you are tha man stevo

Hey Steve,

Wow... this is an awesome thread. I just spent like the last 2 hours reading every post in detail. It's way cool that you're out here answering some ?'s.

First kind of a silly question/observation. I noticed on the DVD Tommy tries the rimshot/bounce a number of times and doesn't get it. That must have bummed him out. Anyway, I was at the show in Lincoln a few weeks back and the guy was just killer. I think I saw him try it like 10 times and caught every one. I noticed though that after every time he caught it he would look back over his left shoulder at something. What's he looking at? I noticed in the video you posted he does the same thing after catching it. Is he kind of razzing you whenever he gets it or what?

On the DW9000 pedals, is he playing them backwards? I've seen some guys do it one way and a few this way. Seems like his way gives the drum a little more kick and less boomy.

On the HiHat, is that a special rig without the legs or did you just take them off the stand?

Finally, I love the ashtray but where's the drink holder? I know it's there somewhere...

Later man!
Doug

hi steve, first of all Iam new to this site and man Iam blown away! secon a quick ? has Tommy ever considered producing a band or bands .and was wondering how often does tommy practice just on his own. thanks, k dog

TLee_fanatic21 said:
Hey Steve, love the thread, its awsome to find all this stuff out about Tommy's kit.
Anyways, I'm a HUGE Tommy fan, went to see the Crue at Copps Coliseum back in march, there were absolutely amazing!!
Well I have more of a request than a question. I've looked at all the pics on the thread, but I still cant seem to find a good pic of how all the hardware is mounted, like I can't see how the ride stand is mounted on to the rack for instance. So I want to know if it would be possible for you to send me pics of the kit as your setting it up, because you see, I study some of the best kits in the world and how everything is set up, but i dont seem to know how its all set up for Tommy. So it would be great if you could send them to my e-mail, [email protected].
Thanks, Mike.
P.S. Think it would be possible for me to get Tommy's kit for free once he decides to move on to a new kit for another tour?

alfredomolina said:
hey steevo whats up man hey i was wondering if you have any more details about the supernova kit or any plans of motley crue planning.

MrCowBell said:
Wow... this is an awesome thread. I just spent like the last 2 hours reading every post in detail. It's way cool that you're out here answering some ?'s.
1)First kind of a silly question/observation. I noticed on the DVD Tommy tries the rimshot/bounce a number of times and doesn't get it. That must have bummed him out. Anyway, I was at the show in Lincoln a few weeks back and the guy was just killer. I think I saw him try it like 10 times and caught every one. I noticed though that after every time he caught it he would look back over his left shoulder at something. What's he looking at? I noticed in the video you posted he does the same thing after catching it. Is he kind of razzing you whenever he gets it or what?
2)On the DW9000 pedals, is he playing them backwards? I've seen some guys do it one way and a few this way. Seems like his way gives the drum a little more kick and less boomy.
3)On the HiHat, is that a special rig without the legs or did you just take them off the stand?
4)Finally, I love the ashtray but where's the drink holder? I know it's there somewhere...

drumer3914 said:
hi steve, first of all Iam new to this site and man Iam blown away! secon a quick ? has Tommy ever considered producing a band or bands .and was wondering how often does tommy practice just on his own. thanks, k dog

Thanks to all you guys for the kind words!!! I had no idea about these new posts... I haven't checked up on the thread lately, I apologize. Here we go:

Mr. Fanatic- I will look through all my pics to see if I have any of me setting up that part of the kit so you can see the ride mount. It is a DW but has been cut VERY short to make it cleaner looking. No dice on the kit though my friend, sorry.

Alfredo- no new plans on the Supernova kit; we just started preproduction for the record. The Motley kit will stay the same for the upcoming show in July in Wisconsin.

MrCowBell- I'm glad you enjoyed reading the whole thread; that's alot of posts! :) I numbered your questions above to separate the answers. 1) The DVD was filmed very early in the tour last year; which contributed to the inconsistency in the flips. Tommy has settled in since then(as you saw at Copps) that he nows catches 99% of all tosses. The look he is giving afterwards is down towards me in drum world. We have sort of an inside joke about the stick flips, and all the ones he catches he either looks down at me, or at our pyro shooter on the opposite side. It's become quite an enjoyable part of the show for me. 2) Yes, the beaters are on the plastic side on the 9000. It gives the kick a little more attack. 3)It's a standard 9000 2-leg hi-hat stand that has had the legs taken off. 4) The drink holder is mounted on the far left rack leg, if you're looking at the kit from T's perspective.

drumer3914- Tommy has produced bands in the past; but currently he is fully involved in Supernova, etc. His practice schedule on the drums is really only when he's in the studio recording. He is involved in many other facets of the industry that prevents him from maintaining a regimental practice schedule.

Hope this answers all the questions!!!! Thanks again!

Where & When are the Crue planning on visiting Wi. I am kinda pissed that I missed the shows. I did not even know they were touring until I saw the making of Carnival DVD on INHD. The last time I saw the crue T was spinning & playing Pearl. Thanks in advance.
Corey

Hey Steve, Thanks for all your usefull info. on here. One question, At the begining of TL's drum solo, he is triggering a electronic sound clip " Lets get dirty, lets get XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" by hitting one of the Hart dynamics electronic drum pads, can you tell me how or where I can get that sound clip. Thanks for any info. that you can give!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: VIRGIL DONATI

tleetech said:
VIRGIL DONATI IS NOT HUMAN!!!! I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE BAKED POTATO IN L.A. THAT GUY IS VERY VERY GOOD! WOW!

On a seperate note: I'm in the design stages for the Supernova drum set. I'd love to hear ideas from you guys on Tommy's new setup. Hit me up! Late!

hey steve.....i'm going back to a double kick set-up, and i'm noticing on that pic of tommy's kit, the 2 pedals to the left, but no beater....is he using a double pedal?
i'm thinking of doing that until i can pick up a couple of new pedals.......

and what else have you got coming up tech -wise in the near future??

and yes.....virgil donati is a freak of nature.....i'd give a testicle to play like that......

Back