Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

For those who like to quote that old saw about music not being a competition, take a good look at what's going on here. Yep once you're in the music it's a collective. But you sure better be ready to compete to get into that non competitive collective.

I think the drumming is not a competition statements are justifiable with the whos better Neal vs Portnoy or the Blade vs Weckl sillyness. Also the cross genre comparisons - Rock drummer "A" vs Jazz drummer "B " being that its two completely different styles.

But in the case of DT where 7 killer drummers are auditioning i.e. competing for the drum chair, I think your statements are quite accurate.

Anyone know when the next episode is due? Damn, i'm hooked.. its like Survivor all over again
Tell me about it. I have been waiting all morning. Guess their marketing is working. :)

And like Matt Smith said, the focus and intensity is insane.

That is a million times better video than the shorter American Idol wanna-be video that was posted on the bands Facebook last Thursday.
I agree. I really didn't like the teaser trailer thing. It was just too cheesy for my comfort level. But then again, I never watch TV and anytime I'm near one that is on, I'm always surprised by how awful it is.

But after watching that first episode, I can't help but to recognize the brilliance of the strategy. It hypes the band prior to a big tour and helps breath new life into them; it hypes the drummers involved by really highlighting how epically great they are; and as Polly pointed out, demonstrates, with few exceptions, that no one is irreplaceable.

It almost reminds me of when Jon Theodore got kicked out of TMV and everyone, including me, was like, "Aw man, what'd they go and do that for?" But then Thomas Pridgen shows up and it was like, "Oh yeah! They're back in business!"

Anyway, I'm hooked and looking forward to the next installment. Now I just wish I liked DT!

Mike Mangini is brilliant!

.......... Now I just wish I liked DT! .........

Mike Mangini is brilliant!

Go to a show, give them a chance, see past the screatching voice of LaBrie, and you will be hooked.

Go to a show, give them a chance, see past the screatching voice of LaBrie, and you will be hooked
It's going to take a little more than getting past his voice, I'm afraid; it's their entire compositional style and musical aesthetic that I can't get past. And it's not that I think they suck, because obviously, they're all great players. We just don't share the same taste in music is all. Nothing more than that.

How many tracks with drums have been recorded? I can't offer an opinion on which is best until I have heard them all.

Just had a chance to watch the second video with Mangini's audition. I'm so addicted it might as well be crack.

Can someone with a Facebook account see when the next video will be up?

thanks so much

Just had a chance to watch the second video with Mangini's audition. I'm so addicted it might as well be crack.

thanks so much

Me too! And I dont even like Dream Theater.. or Portnoy..but this is serious Drummerdrama. May the best man win.

Someone said the second one is tomorrow.

Me too! And I dont even like Dream Theater.. or Portnoy..but this is serious Drummerdrama. May the best man win.

agreed

I respect the hell outta Mike.....but have never been a fan of him or Dream Theatre .....but Im glued to the drama

But he is such a good drummer. What seems to be the problem?

I'm not into Dream Theater and Mike Mangini was never my cup of tea, but that audition video has really given me a new appreciation for him. As others have pointed out, his intensity is very impressive. But he's not just some guy who gets fired up to compete and can't cool down. Watch him work the room after the rehearsal. He's not weird or too intense, or socially awkward in the way some ultra-competitive people are. Instead, he's a pro; confident, but not obnoxious at all.

We could probably all learn something from the way Mike prepares and carries himself. Color me impressed.

I'm going to echo 8Mile on this one. I cannot stand Dream Theater, but Mike Mangini comes out of this looking very good indeed.

yeah Dream Theater would be hard for me to choose if it was between them and a swift kick in the balls........just dont dig them.....

but Mangini just came off like a great guy in that vid.....and I cant wait to see what Virgil does behind them....

I was lucky enough to study with Virgil briefly in LA in the late 90s.......the dude is super human......

Im kinda pulling for Mike though

yeah Dream Theater would be hard for me to choose if it was between them and a swift kick in the balls........just dont dig them.....

but Mangini just came off like a great guy in that vid.....and I cant wait to see what Virgil does behind them....

I was lucky enough to study with Virgil briefly in LA in the late 90s.......the dude is super human......

Im kinda pulling for Mike though

Ya, Virgil is amazing and it really would be great to see how he approaches the audition.

@Sticks4drums - MP is great drummer, no doubt, but he doesn't ring my bell, thats all. I do have a great appreciation for what he does though... Its like some art , it looks better on someone else's wall, not on yours.

Last edited:

thanks so much

Next video, Episode 2, will be up today (Wednesday) at 11 A.M. EST (Eastern Time USA). Most likely Episode 3 will be up on Friday at 11 A.M. Hope you'll tune in then too because that's when I'm in it. ;-)

2 hours and 35 minutes until Episode 2. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Cheers,
Peter

I've been a huge Dream Theater fan since I was in high school waiting for Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence to be released (just checked, 2002, would've been the spring of my senior year). I'll admit that, even though I've bought every album and DVD that they've released since then, my attention to them has dwindled in recent years- partially due to working a "normal" job, partially due to not getting into most of their recordings. I'd play a CD for a week or so and then I'd move on and not touch it for a great while.

With that said, this audition process- and now the documentary behind it- has got me fired up about the band again. Don't get me wrong, I wish MP stayed and they remained a "happy family," but, sometimes fresh blood isn't a bad thing. I think I'm psyched about this audition process because, more than being a huge Dream Theater fan, I'm an even bigger drumming fan and music fan.

I eagerly wait for the next 2.5 hours to pass so we can check out the new installment (I believe the esteemed snake breeder, and resident DW pro, Derek "One Take" Roddy is up next. I look forward to see how he interacts and how his style(s) meld with the DT guys.

AJ

2 hours and 35 minutes until Episode 2. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Not fair! That's make it after 1pm here and I have band practice tomorrow night so I won't be able to see it for two days :(

Like others, I don't care for the music but I'm hooked. It blew me away to see someone walk into an audition of complex music and nail it like that. It's like seeing a yogi bend himself three ways to Sunday and suddenly what you think is possible expands a little.

It'll be interesting to see the difference in Derek R's feel and approach to Mike M's.

Last edited:

I just thought up a whole new level of parody. 'Crap drummer auditions'. If only I had the time, the friends and a camera...

Back