Bass Players

The bassists I've played mostly fall neatly into two groups - most are the laid back, relaxed and pleasant types who are team players. The others want to be in the driving seat - either by virtue of being a "star" bassist or by owning band gear, rehearsal space etc and they are spiky critters.

I haven't played in bands with another drummer but I'm guessing that we can be roughly split into the same categories too.

Very glad that I'm getting old and lost my looks - it makes for an uncomplicated, peaceful life :)

...okay...but there are some good bass (guitar) players that hold some good grooves and can create and play great leads...

...Justin Chancellor, Vic Wooten, Flea...

...but for the good of your band, don't get your bass player too inspired by these guys.

Tommy: tell your bassist to put some time into the study of Lee Sklar. He's probably the most perfect bassist I can think of overall - huge pocket, perfect parts (I've never heard a bad note from him), embellishments that frame everything else in the song extremely well, great tone, awesome beard...

I've had the pleasure of playing with several pretty good bassists over the years, but one really blew the pants off everyone else. The bassist in question (Dan) took heavy influence from Victor Wooten in that he liked to slap and tap and all sorts of other techniques, but he had the taste of a session player and knew when to NOT play such things. It sounds like your bassist is only listening to himself and not the band as a whole.

I'd never say "All bassists are wankers." In fact, I'd never say wankers in public.

Point being I've had bad bassists, I've had good bassists, I've had a bassist that couldn't fill the roll and I've had bassists that were not fit for the job. It's all about the person. The bassist I have now is my roommate in college, he's a classically trained cellist. Me being a classical violinist works great with him, our accents flow and it makes our music decently interesting (imo). He's pretty dedicated, sometimes he has trouble getting to practice, but me and him can practice during the week, so it's all good.

Point is, some bassists are great, and some suck, and some are "wankers," and some are the coolest mofos you will ever meet.

I think we can all agree that Sax players are our real enemies.

Soooo, it's a date then?

Actually I have sort of a steadfast rule to never date drummers. In my personal experience (I said my personal experience, not to be confused with a blanket statement in the afore mention posts about "all bass players") I have found them to be somewhat moody and temperamental. This is not a sexist remark as I include myself in the lot! Besides, you would regret it in the long run. Trust me on this. I can be quite a handful (or so I've been told!) Friends?

Who the eff are you calling moody and tempremental?
I just love this forum!
OMG that comment just steams my beans
But I do love the different angles on things.
OK nevermind, I'm cool. I still don't know where you get off on saying that. I'm steady as she goes.
:)

Actually I have sort of a steadfast rule to never date drummers. In my personal experience (I said my personal experience, not to be confused with a blanket statement in the afore mention posts about "all bass players") I have found them to be somewhat moody and temperamental. This is not a sexist remark as I include myself in the lot! Besides, you would regret it in the long run. Trust me on this. I can be quite a handful (or so I've been told!) Friends?

You are right, I'm moody and temperamental. I was just flirting a bit, I actually have a girlfriend, but yes, we can be friends.

Back