Water Chance

Haha, I won't

I did have another go on this weeks quiz but got them all so its all good.

Cheers again

Well we found out what magazine it was from and got the issue with the answers.

I'm sorry to say the official answer is "Main".

Doesnt seem to work for me but what can I say.

Thanks for all your guesses.

Please tell me what a main chance is. Like a "club Sandwich"???

Main chance isn't a term, just that the two words are commonly put together in sentences. Still, a Google phrase search for "main chance" yields 104,000 entries so fair nuff.

The answer was always going to be a bit blah.

Well I stand corrected and will admit it. The first entry in Google defines Main Chance and the main issue.

That's what makes it easier, the fact that the missing word has only four letters. "Main" works because it has only four letters and it makes sense with both water and chance.

Google "water main" and "main chance." It works.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! It's my final answer, and I still have all my life-lines!

Will we be notified of the correct answer when it's revealed?

And I still have all my life-lines!

Do you think that there will ever be a true, all agreed resolve for this?

Yes, both you and Conrad came up with right answers. Congratulations. Take a bow, end of story. We'll send you both a coupon to get a Starbuck's coffee for only 5 dollars.

I'm still not totally convinced Ken! There is this shadow of doubt hiding in the bushes!

Yes, both you and Conrad came up with right answers. Congratulations. Take a bow, end of story. We'll send you both a coupon to get a Starbuck's coffee for only 5 dollars.

Thats half a cup!!

Now I will enter 20 characters in fury!

Its regular Duncan Doughnuts mud or nothing for me!

I agree. I can't get a decent regular old cup of coffee in Starbuck's, and I have zero interest in the fancy stuff they have there.

A decent cup of joe from the Waffle House, something like that, now that's coffee.

I'm still not totally convinced Ken! There is this shadow of doubt hiding in the bushes!

If it's any consolation Bob, I liked your answer better than the official answer.

You guys have learned the lesson of every game show contestant immemorial. You mean I actually have to take this crap home AND pay taxes on it. :)

Conrad, you were beaten to the punch by jonescrusher so you miss out on the Starbucks coffee, lad. There is no second prize here. Jones pressed the buzzer first!

Apparently main chance is an old term:

Meaning: The most important issue.

Origin: We now use this phrase as part of 'an eye for the main chance', referring to someone who is ambitious and eager to promote their own advancement. The first known use of it in print is in John Lyly's, Euphues, the anatomy of wyt, 1579:

"Either content yourself with my choice, or lette mee stande to the maine chaunce."

Shakespeare used it soon afterwards in Henry VI Part 2, 1597:

WARWICK:
There is a history in all men's lives,
Figuring the nature of the times deceased;
The which observed, a man may prophesy,
With a near aim, of the main chance of things
As yet not come to life, which in their seeds
And weak beginnings lie intreasured.
Such things become the hatch and brood of time;
And by the necessary form of this
King Richard might create a perfect guess
That great Northumberland, then false to him,
Would of that seed grow to a greater falseness;
Which should not find a ground to root upon,
Unless on you.

Kind of obscure, but more valid than I thought.

What a lame answer, main. I don't care if Shakespeare used it, it didn't catch on.
What a lame prize too.
Let's start a new one.
The words are....

Drum
Flight

or

Land
Guitar

or

Money
It

or

Elvin
Crusher

or

Delta
World

and the prize is....A BRAND NEW CAR!
show it to 'em Johnny!

Too bad Polly but you get a consolation prize!

AN OLD USED CAR!

Show it to her Johnny!

For your driving pleasure you will recieve a 1946 Studebaker with a cracked block and head gasket problems! You will be the envy of all your loser friends when you come sputtering up the street in one of these. also included is a colony of ants that turned the front bench seat into their home base!

Back