Kumu four piece.

HAHA! You could also say, "If you have stuff bolted to your drums, you've screwed them up!"

Back to the vent hole, it might look cool if it were trimmed out too, like a Holz bass drum ring but curved for your drum. Maybe it is and I can't tell.
I wouldnt if it was my kit - it would dampen the sound a tiny bit, plus i like to reasure myself of the quality of the wood in my drums....

Back to the vent hole, it might look cool if it were trimmed out too, like a Holz bass drum ring but curved for your drum. Maybe it is and I can't tell.

It's not holz'd, the edges are just sanded smooth. I wouldn't like anything extra around the vent -- it would probably clash with the drum's simple elegance.

HAHA! You could also say, "If you have stuff bolted to your drums, you've screwed them up!"

HAHA!, I just looked at your kit and noticed a lot of lugs "bolted" to the shells of your drums. Coming from such an anti " bolt" guy I find that rather contradictory.

HAHA!, I just looked at your kit and noticed a lot of lugs "bolted" to the shells of your drums. Coming from such an anti " bolt" guy I find that rather contradictory.

Well, I did look into the possibility of free-floating heads, as that would be the purest form of shell. I company called MyMi was doing it but they went out of business. I settled for tube lugs, which are bolted to the shell in one place each. I ordered the bass drum without spurs, to minimize penetrations and bolting, and of course the bass drum is virgin and the toms are suspended.

I guess it's unavoidable to bolt some hardware to drums, such as lugs. But as a personal choice I try to do it as little as possible. Certainly, bolting 30 pounds of hardware to a shell isn't my cup of tea, but it's the dominant market approach for mass-market drum makers and most people have bought into that. Plus, I've heard some kits like that and they sound terrific anyway.

Thanks for your interest.

...Voi vittu on ne rumpalit heinot.

I have been waiting to get a hold of my Finnish buddy before replying as I can't think of any english words to describe how nice your drums are.

I hope that he isn't playing a joke on me and that I am accidently picking a fight with you.

Very nice kit you have there Wave.

Barry

Last edited:
Let's put it this way... Don't ask for any further translation tips from him.

...Thanks for the advice, but you're too late.

Now I know why Yari Kurri wants to beat the crap out of me.

barry

Well, I did look into the possibility of free-floating heads, as that would be the purest form of shell. I company called MyMi was doing it but they went out of business. I settled for tube lugs, which are bolted to the shell in one place each. I ordered the bass drum without spurs, to minimize penetrations and bolting, and of course the bass drum is virgin and the toms are suspended.

I guess it's unavoidable to bolt some hardware to drums, such as lugs. But as a personal choice I try to do it as little as possible. Certainly, bolting 30 pounds of hardware to a shell isn't my cup of tea, but it's the dominant market approach for mass-market drum makers and most people have bought into that. Plus, I've heard some kits like that and they sound terrific anyway.

Thanks for your interest.

Actually, I have not one bit of interest at all in your kit or your discrimanation against hardware on the kick.
I truly believe people like yourself put more emphasis on trying to do anything you can to get a perfect drum sound to make up for the lack of skill involved in making your drums sound good.
I'll tell you why that company you mentioned called MyMi went out of buisiness......nobody bought there drums! Why? Because drums with no lugs look plain and lack character, and they don''t sound any better than drums with lugs. The same thing goes for drums with tom holders or without, I've owned drums with and without "virgin" bass drums, and have found no difference in sound from drums made of the same quality. Sometimes I'll hang my tom, using an L-arm, off a cymbal stand, but other times it's more convient to hang it off the kick, it depends if I want to mess with bringing a heavy stand as opposed to light weight stands.
I don't care if you agree or not, but get off your high horse.

Actually, I have not one bit of interest at all in your kit or your discrimanation against hardware on the kick.
I truly believe people like yourself put more emphasis on trying to do anything you can to get a perfect drum sound to make up for the lack of skill involved in making your drums sound good.
I'll tell you why that company you mentioned called MyMi went out of buisiness......nobody bought there drums! Why? Because drums with no lugs look plain and lack character, and they don''t sound any better than drums with lugs. The same thing goes for drums with tom holders or without, I've owned drums with and without "virgin" bass drums, and have found no difference in sound from drums made of the same quality. Sometimes I'll hang my tom, using an L-arm, off a cymbal stand, but other times it's more convient to hang it off the kick, it depends if I want to mess with bringing a heavy stand as opposed to light weight stands.
I don't care if you agree or not, but get off your high horse.

Not to be an a**hole, but you are sounding a little childish and unsettled. I understand where you're coming from; DMC is very particular about his shells and hardware (all of which are amazing). I also agree about the aesthetics of free-floating drums in comparison with traditional lugs, as I think that lugs do look better.
However, to disregard the fact that there is a sonic difference created by the application of extra steel attached to the shell in the form of not allowing the shell to vibrate as freely as it would without the hardware. By far, the nicest kit I have ever heard was a Sleishman. 100% free-floating shells, and most certainly not going out of business. Seriously check them out if you get a chance, they make amazing products.
I'm not taking sides here, but rather just giving you the heads up. I'd be a very happy guy sitting behind that mahogany Ludwig of yours just as I would be behind a Sleishman. Either way, they're a hell of a lot better than the PDP that I'm playing at the moment due to my lack of funds at college.

I really thing you guys should go create a free floating vs. not, hardware or virgin thread in general discussion.

This isnt really the place for squables about stuff like that.

back on the subject....
Kumu makes some nice drums. I checked out their site. Very nice craftsmanship. I wonder how much to have those shipped to USA? :)

I really thing you guys should go create a free floating vs. not, hardware or virgin thread in general discussion.

This isnt really the place for squables about stuff like that.

back on the subject....
Kumu makes some nice drums. I checked out their site. Very nice craftsmanship. I wonder how much to have those shipped to USA? :)

I agree. Thank you.

The shipping could be outrageous by air, several hundred dollars. But for a kit like that it would be worth it.

I agree. Thank you.

The shipping could be outrageous by air, several hundred dollars. But for a kit like that it would be worth it.

true. Anyone know how much he payed for that in US dollars?

I think for my next kit i'm going for something more classy like that. By the time I get it i'm going to be older and more refined anyways. :)

When I get older and stuff, and maybe really into drumming like I want to, and have time and space, I will get a Kumu set, they are definately the best looking sets out there when you want something natural. Living in the Netherlands I might even rent a big van and pick them up myself, since it's only 1493,5 km exactly, and about a 27 hour drive :)...

I agree. Thank you.

I agree, let's all agree that Kuma makes nice drums, and DMC needs get over his metalphobia.

I agree, let's all agree that Kuma makes nice drums, and DMC needs get over his metalphobia.

Yeah, I would probably sell my parents for WL's Kumus. If only it had a 12" rack instead of a 10". The biggest selling point for me is that finish in cojunction with the wood hoops. Damn...

JSA, how about you stop mentioning hardware too? Rather than just making little comments like that and then cracking the sads when DMC responds.

Yeah, I would probably sell my parents for WL's Kumus. If only it had a 12" rack instead of a 10". The biggest selling point for me is that finish in cojunction with the wood hoops. Damn...

JSA, how about you stop mentioning hardware too? Rather than just making little comments like that and then cracking the sads when DMC responds.

Well, that sounds good to me, but his opinion on hardware and his over use of the word "bolted" are totally false and I'm a bit tired of hearing it. If he doesn't want anything on his kick or anywhere that's fine, but if I want it, don't keep telling me or anyone else how bad it is.

Well, that sounds good to me, but his opinion on hardware and his over use of the word "bolted" are totally false and I'm a bit tired of hearing it. If he doesn't want anything on his kick or anywhere that's fine, but if I want it, don't keep telling me or anyone else how bad it is.

It's as false as the world is flat mate. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that attaching aything to the shell is going to have some sort of effect on its ability to vibrate. Why do practically all toms come with suspension mounts these days? I'll tell you now, it's not a conspiracy started by Gibraltar and RIMS, it's called physics.

Now, if this is alteration in vibration of sound waves (ie sound produced) is noticable in a real-life amplified setting is debatable. I tend to go with the belief that once you hit a certain volume combined with other instruments a lot of drums start sounding pretty similar. In the studio this is a different case. I probably can't justify the extra expense of going solid-shell free-floating drums; I'm an Engineering & Design student not a musician. Really, I can't justify going much higher than Ludwig Classics, Gretsch Renowns, etc because it won't have that big an effect on my career, income, etc.

Personally, I'd say DMCs "opinion on hardware and his over use of the word "bolted" " are a hell of a lot less irritating that your reappearing view on said issue. Give it a break.

Sorry to WL for the tangent this thread has taken.

Cam

It's as false as the world is flat mate. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out that attaching aything to the shell is going to have some sort of effect on its ability to vibrate. Why do practically all toms come with suspension mounts these days? I'll tell you now, it's not a conspiracy started by Gibraltar and RIMS, it's called physics.

Now, if this is alteration in vibration of sound waves (ie sound produced) is noticable in a real-life amplified setting is debatable. I tend to go with the belief that once you hit a certain volume combined with other instruments a lot of drums start sounding pretty similar. In the studio this is a different case. I probably can't justify the extra expense of going solid-shell free-floating drums; I'm an Engineering & Design student not a musician. Really, I can't justify going much higher than Ludwig Classics, Gretsch Renowns, etc because it won't have that big an effect on my career, income, etc.

Personally, I'd say DMCs "opinion on hardware and his over use of the word "bolted" " are a hell of a lot less irritating that your reappearing view on said issue. Give it a break.

Sorry to WL for the tangent this thread has taken.

Cam

You're as fruity as DMC!

This is exactly what I'm talking about, now you're talking about physics. Some of the best drum sounds I ever heard were recorded long before suspension mounts and so called "virgin" bass drums. C'mon, you know as well as I do with all the technical advancements today you can take any kit in a studio and make them sound great.
The drum companies are all in to this marketing of suspended toms and "virgin" bass drums or 18 or 20 inch bass drums, and to me all that stuff doesn't effect a drum sound, you do.

Last edited:
Back