Billy Ward here!

THANK YOU, PAUL! That means alot to me.

Phil, I've written alot about your question. Probably more on my own forum than here - but I'll try to give it up again:
There is no little black book - and there is no secret handshake. The people you are playing with THIS YEAR are the ones that will eventually lead you to getting a better gig. So impress your bandmates by making them inspired to be playing with you - and then, they will champion you when a gig opens up.

it is ALL personal. A press kit will get you a gig touring with a theater company or some other kind of mid-level thing... but you don't get to play with the musical giants because of a press kit.

GOOD LUCK!

and thanks

Phil, I've written alot about your question. Probably more on my own forum than here - but I'll try to give it up again:
There is no little black book - and there is no secret handshake. The people you are playing with THIS YEAR are the ones that will eventually lead you to getting a better gig. So impress your bandmates by making them inspired to be playing with you - and then, they will champion you when a gig opens up.

it is ALL personal. A press kit will get you a gig touring with a theater company or some other kind of mid-level thing... but you don't get to play with the musical giants because of a press kit.

GOOD LUCK!

and thanks

I see, one gets to play with musical giants by some how getting themselves in front of those giants, am i right?

I see, one gets to play with musical giants by some how getting themselves in front of those giants, am i right?

From your wedding gig and onward! yes. i don't know of any other way. There mightbe some who get there other ways ...and God knows, I could have better gigs as well! :D

Play better - tape yourself, and it will come. You have to listen to the tape and judge harshly - then, you will get bettter - and then the gigs get better (unless you are an awful person! :D)
best,
BW

LOL! I understand now! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my lil question,now that i am pointed in the right direction,i can get moving, see ya in the big time cause here i come!!
BTW, I heard some of your playing on some of the Joan Osborne stuff, i like your playing,smooth & clean!!
Thanks again!!
Phil
P.S.Are there any plans to do a clinic close to the Northeast Louisiana in the near future?
Drum clinics are rare around here,the closest clinic featuring any clinician is in Nashville,i think!
Thanks one more time!!
Warmest Regards,
Phil

GOOD LUCK!

and thanks

And I would like to add to this, if I may, that being a professional doesn't necessarily mean a high level of technical prowess behind the drum kit. It means showing up on time (or way before, preferably), being prepared (knowing the songs) and being in shape (sober) to play the gig.

There many highly skilled musicians who aren't professional because they blow up when things don't go to suit them, or are always late. And some of these folks know it and admit that they just can't be that professional all of the time, so they prefer to do something else in life and play music as a hobby which there is nothing wrong with.

I have had to look myself in the mirror before many road gigs and do the gut check to make certain that I was OK with what I was doing, because this business is all about word of mouth, and that word of mouth is either going to be good or bad...

Sorry if I took too many liberties on your thread, Billy, I just thought that this would be useful info.....

By the way, I still have that K Mastersound that you guys signed for me!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

And I would like to add to this, if I may, that being a professional doesn't necessarily mean a high level of technical prowess behind the drum kit. It means showing up on time (or way before, preferably), being prepared (knowing the songs) and being in shape (sober) to play the gig.

There many highly skilled musicians who aren't professional because they blow up when things don't go to suit them, or are always late. And some of these folks know it and admit that they just can't be that professional all of the time, so they prefer to do something else in life and play music as a hobby which there is nothing wrong with.

I have had to look myself in the mirror before many road gigs and do the gut check to make certain that I was OK with what I was doing, because this business is all about word of mouth, and that word of mouth is either going to be good or bad...

Sorry if I took too many liberties on your thread, Billy, I just thought that this would be useful info.....

By the way, I still have that K Mastersound that you guys signed for me!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

Hey Mike - there is absolutely NO REASON for you to apologize (apologise). This is a GROUP HANG! and that is what is fun about it. I love your addition!

listening to Rufus Wainwright right now -
Then I've got a baseball game to check out. I'm on vacation tonight! :D

remember - the drummer is the smartest guy in the band!

Hi Billy! Could you 'splain the concept behind the signature stick that you had Truline design for you?
I went to the website and it gave me the basic concept behind the Power Grip series,what i am gittin' at is what does your particular design do for you? What led you to create a stick to those specifications?
I am considering buying a brick of these sticks,problem is, there is no dealer within 100 miles of me to go to and try them out,so, i kinda have to rely on word of mouth to get my info.
One last question, do you have any future plans to design a set of cymbals? I am sure that you have a set of sounds in your head that you can have someone like Mark Love @ Sabian create for you!
Peace,
Phil Welch

Hi Billy! Could you 'splain the concept behind the signature stick that you had Truline design for you?
I went to the website and it gave me the basic concept behind the Power Grip series,what i am gittin' at is what does your particular design do for you? What led you to create a stick to those specifications?
I am considering buying a brick of these sticks,problem is, there is no dealer within 100 miles of me to go to and try them out,so, i kinda have to rely on word of mouth to get my info.
One last question, do you have any future plans to design a set of cymbals? I am sure that you have a set of sounds in your head that you can have someone like Mark Love @ Sabian create for you!
Peace,
Phil Welch

hi Phil,

My Trueline signature drumstick exists because I wanted the size of their jazz model stick (like a 5a ize) in my hand, but the shoulder and tip of the their standard jazz model didn't hold up for me. I need particularly a thicker shoulder (this is the part that goes UP to the tip itself. With a stronger shoulder, I can be more naturally abusive and the stick will survive. So my model has the TG Jazz half in my hand and then going towards the tip it becomes a TG Rock. Simple as that!

I strongly suggest you buy one or two pairs of anything before you buy more! It would be terrible if you ended up hating a large purchase!

Cymbal wise, I am very very happy with what I am playing - and I have been happy for a long time. Back when I was with Sabian, I loved their cymbals (though I was never enthralled with thier jazzier lines). Sabian makes great cymbals. For several years now I have been playing Zildjians and am overwhelmingly happy with their sound and feel. I do experiment quite a bit with Paul Francis, the resident genius of the Z-world. I feel very fortunate to be able to play instruments as good as those.

Thanks!

new CD and DVD -free look!

Hey - I've been remiss in keeping the dWorld cats up on my comings and goings. Please forgive! I'm not sure where I should post this, so Bernhard, feel free to move this post if it should be somewhere else... (your copy of the CD is in the mail!)

here is some news:
My jazzy record (Billy Ward Trio -"Out The Door") is done and OUT. I am VERY happy with this record. It comes in a groovy digipack for only ten bucks. Guitar trio.

It will accompany an instructional DVD about jazzy-ness (titled "Voices In My head"). The DVD will be out in two months - maybe less. Click here to download a free trailer from this DVD.

I hope you like it!

PS - there wil be free downloads/play alongs... all kinds of stuff.
So check it out!

Here's the link to the trailer of the movie and where you can buy the record.

http://www.billyward.com/whatsNewOTD.html

thanks,
Billy

Hey BillyW, I got a hold of a pair of your sticks from Drum Authority,and i have to say that these sticks FIT my hand perfectly, they are such a comfort and joy to play!
The concept behind these sticks are truly realized,especially at the end of a four hour gig,usually my hands are tired from gripping the stick so tightly,not with these,i can play all night!!
Thanks Bill, for designing such a tremendous stick!!
Cheers!

Hey BillyW, I got a hold of a pair of your sticks from Drum Authority,and i have to say that these sticks FIT my hand perfectly, they are such a comfort and joy to play!
The concept behind these sticks are truly realized,especially at the end of a four hour gig,usually my hands are tired from gripping the stick so tightly,not with these,i can play all night!!
Thanks Bill, for designing such a tremendous stick!!
Cheers!

Sweet! I'm glad it isn't just me that is happy with these sticks!

Enjoy and tape yourself -

hey billy

i just had listen to border town linked here:

www.drummerworld.com/drummergroove.html

just lovely. your cymbals as so present so wonderfully silvery and gritty. makes me feel like i'm standing in the rain with mud slashing up on my ankles. in fact i've had the track looped for more than 20 minutes and it is not growing tiresome at all...it just feels like a great sound track to life.

well done

j

hey billy

i just had listen to border town linked here:

www.drummerworld.com/drummergroove.html

just lovely. your cymbals as so present so wonderfully silvery and gritty. makes me feel like i'm standing in the rain with mud slashing up on my ankles. in fact i've had the track looped for more than 20 minutes and it is not growing tiresome at all...it just feels like a great sound track to life.

well done

j

me too!!!!!
it's beautiful

Thanks Nutha -
This DVD was made for lots of guys like yourself! I hope it helps to remove the doubt and fear about jazz. It is designed to help you.

Let me know how it goes with the downloads-

tomorrow, here in America, it is Fathers Day. I would like to wish all of you who have children a big Thank You for your sacrifice and gifts. If you folks have your father still with you on this planet, wish him well today.
XObilly

Hey Billy Ward, one more question. I was reading in the May 2006 MD magazine where you wrote an article for the home studio recording drummer, and noticed that you used the Beta 52, SM57 and an AKG condensor of some sort. I am going to purchase the Beta 52 and SM57, but am wondering what you would recommend for a condensor mic that is cheaper. My budget is fairly low now and am looking for the best bang for your buck at a limit of $175 per condensor. Cheers man.

Mike

Back