Billy Ward here!

Re: Billy ward on Constantinoples?

That's funny for me to see, I'm editing Billy's upcoming instructional right now, and I haven't seen that footage in a couple of years! The new video is all about jazz, so it's also different to see Billy rockin' out - he can do both equally well.

That is a KCon HiDef - it has a Trashformer underneath it and in person sounds fantastic! I thought it sounded a lot better with the Trashformer underneath - he varies the contact with the clutch on the Ride...

Call me crazy, but I prefer the sound of his Sabian set up on the MD fest a few years ago.

Another thing about Billy.

His "hybrid" crosshand technique drives me crazy. I've tried to imitate that technique plent of times because it frees up your left to really get power and articulation. It goes well for a little while, but I've smashed my right thumb so many times with my left stick, that I've given up. Wish I could pull it off, becuase it feels really good.

Billy Rules!

What do you mean "hybrid" crosshand technique?

Meaning, he doesn't actualy cross his hands when playing on the Hats and snare. He leaves enought space to let his left hand move as high, and freely as possible. No restrictions. Many have switched to open handed playing just to free up the left hand. Billy has found a shortcut.

pretty cool video. the youtube link was messing up on me (probably cause im on a wireless connection right now), but i found the original on drummerworld

Meaning, he doesn't actualy cross his hands when playing on the Hats and snare. He leaves enought space to let his left hand move as high, and freely as possible. No restrictions. Many have switched to open handed playing just to free up the left hand. Billy has found a shortcut.

thats funny, i do that too. it just feels better. i dont have as much space between my hands as billy though
oh, and i used to have hitting my thumb problem as well, occassionally. hurts like crap. your comment just made me realize that its not happening anymore... sweet

As for the Ride cymbal he played in that video, I asked him at his forum and he wrote following:

"That's an A Cie 20" over a 12" china... or maybe it's over a trashformer....don't remember. I think it's the china - "

Karl

Billy Ward appearing at the Musikmesse Frankfurt!!

29.03.2007 - 13:00 - 13:30 Agora Stage

Bernhard

Billy Ward appearing at the Musikmesse Frankfurt!!

29.03.2007 - 13:00 - 13:30 Agora Stage

Bernhard

Bernhard!... is this so? I knew I was playing (Third year in a row - I'm flattered!), but haven't yet been told when!

You've got the scoop on us all!
Way to go!

Will look forward to seeing you. Also Nutha - I apologize for not coming up with a list for you - I fully intend to get to it... it's just things are crazy busy right now-

thanks
Billy

You rock Billy! You're the Captain Crunch of hi-hat work.

Here's my question:
At your level are you really satisfied with your playing? I find that the better I get, the more I realize that I need to improve in. It's kind of haunting. When I first started drumming I didn't even really think I'd truly become interested in it, I played guitar and I played drums in the school band to pass time and secure my position as guitarist in the school Jazz band. When I got my first drum-set I went "Hey, once I can play basic rock stuff I'll be content!" But, now, a couple years later drums have become more of main instrument to me than the guitar and it seems like I can never reach a satisfying goal cause I'm always pushing myself to be better and better. I'm now at a level that I would have never dreamed of reaching when I started out, and when I look back at anything I've done in the past I cringe...

Is this something that even someone at your insane skill level deals with? Is it possible to be completely satisfied with your playing?

- David

Last edited:
Billy, just taken up drums after a long time out and bug is as big as ever. Amazed with the amount of instruction and videos available on the web and just watched your dvd last night - I wish there had been such dvd's etc when I was younger!!
Anyway I know the dvd is full of great technical stuff, but it is so musical and explained in such an easy way it seems do-able - so it is a great inspiration....although the doing will have to come later! My left foot is saying NO WAY as I write!!
My question since you speak of feel, colour, and experimentation on different instruments and with different 'sticks' (and also since I cannot get an accoustic set at home due to noise) I wondered if you had ever played on an electronic kit and what your opinion of them is. It is not a question based on the fact that I think you would be able to programme the kit to produce weird and wonderful voices, it is just the opposite - the fact that you may not be able to use different parts of the drumhead and invent different sounds the way you do manually on an accoustic kit and build up these colours.
Thanks - all the best!

You rock Billy! You're the Captain Crunch of hi-hat work.

....Is this something that even someone at your insane skill level deals with? Is it possible to be completely satisfied with your playing?

- David

Hi David,

It's good to be the "something " of hi hats! :D Though, I thought it was Cap'n Crunch (and NOT captain crunch) HAHA!!

And yeah... I pretty much always hate myself. I see flaws in everything. Though, at times, I enjoy the spirit of the music - which makes it (to me) a special drum track or music moment.
But I always wish to improve. Sometimes, the other band members are praising me and I'm cringing with disbelief - wondering if they are "having me on" as the Brits would say..

Thanks! -and keep it up!

Last edited:
Billy, just taken up drums after a long time out and bug is as big as ever. Amazed with the amount of instruction and videos available on the web and just watched your dvd last night - I wish there had been such dvd's etc when I was younger!!
Anyway I know the dvd is full of great technical stuff, but it is so musical and explained in such an easy way it seems do-able - so it is a great inspiration....although the doing will have to come later! My left foot is saying NO WAY as I write!!
My question since you speak of feel, colour, and experimentation on different instruments and with different 'sticks' (and also since I cannot get an accoustic set at home due to noise) I wondered if you had ever played on an electronic kit and what your opinion of them is. It is not a question based on the fact that I think you would be able to programme the kit to produce weird and wonderful voices, it is just the opposite - the fact that you may not be able to use different parts of the drumhead and invent different sounds the way you do manually on an accoustic kit and build up these colours.
Thanks - all the best!

In the mid 80s, I was ALL OVER electronic drums. I made my own pads (billy pads- like Billy Beer :D ) and bought one of the earliest simmons SDS7 elect. brains to enter the US. Boy, was THAT a Piece of &#@^!!!

Somewhere around 1985 or '86, I discovered ddrums and went on board with them as an artist (still paid for the stuff, which was ridiculously expensive back then). I enjoyed playing them - played a kti of ddrums on a tour with Bill ?Evans Supergroup. the electronics work best for me if they are doing electronic things - and NOT trying to sound acoustic.
Nowadays, it is always the real deal for me. Though I have a e-kit at my upstate house. it was sent in for an evaluation by me - and the bass drum pad broke before I could even play it! :D HAHA... I won't say the name because I don't want to cause any embarassment fro anyone.
for people who need to keep it quiet, pads are good. BUT... (and it's a big Sophie Tucker kind of but)...the real drum is completely different - so going back and forth could be weird/difficult. But e-drums are fun and they don't drive the other people in or near your house crazy- so I can dig them !!! With good programming skills on an electronic kit, the color concept can go WAY beyond anything that is possible acoustically - THIS is where the fun is for the e-drums in my case. I honestly wish I had a nice set myself for certain times.

Hey Billy...

Nice your here to. Damn. I wish i could jam with you one time, you are one of my favorite
drummers...

Keep drumming billy, you are cool ;)

Hey Billy - I am not getting any acces to a drum set at the moment and it is driving me mad. Excuse my ignorance but can you explain how to play (what you call) the 28th (or 27th!) rudiment that you played on the dvd? I agree that it is so good that everyone should learn it - so I am (trying)!
On the practice pad I think I am doing it, but won't be happy until I know for sure.
It makes a difference to me when the sticking/technique is explained. For example, the reverse snare thing was fine - but even better when you explained the sticking (i.e. five stroke roll) then I knew it was correct. Thanks.

Hey Billy - I am not getting any acces to a drum set at the moment and it is driving me mad. Excuse my ignorance but can you explain how to play (what you call) the 28th (or 27th!) rudiment that you played on the dvd? I agree that it is so good that everyone should learn it - so I am (trying)!
On the practice pad I think I am doing it, but won't be happy until I know for sure.
It makes a difference to me when the sticking/technique is explained. For example, the reverse snare thing was fine - but even better when you explained the sticking (i.e. five stroke roll) then I knew it was correct. Thanks.

Everybody does that differently. In my case - it is REALLY slurpy. I basically am playing a five stroke roll - but, instead of two strokes per hand, it is multiple buzzy notes so it's:

(R) single hit on tom
and at the same time: (L) on snareLLLllllllll
followed by (R): (R) on snareRRRrrrrrrr
then: (single hits on snare) L R, R

sounds like - Booodabop Bop!

Billy:

I wanted to congratulate you on your most recent Modern Drummer article on independence. While I think this was the best MD, from an educational standpoint, in quite a while, it was your humble, honest and "truthful" article which struck the best note. The fact is that independence of limbs is really a myth - and everything is a pattern. You were the only drummer to actually state that.

Thanks

Paul

Billy:

I wanted to congratulate you on your most recent Modern Drummer article on independence. While I think this was the best MD, from an educational standpoint, in quite a while, it was your humble, honest and "truthful" article which struck the best note. The fact is that independence of limbs is really a myth - and everything is a pattern. You were the only drummer to actually state that.

Thanks

Paul

What issue was this?

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw

Hey Billy,
I am trying to find out how to gain an audition with a band that is on a national level,is there a certain circle that i need to get to be a part of to find these auditions? whats the scoop.
I know that i need to put together a press package, i just need to know how to get the package to where it needs to go.

Back