[REDACTED]

If you don't play in a band try that maybe even if its not serious, you will met and really know those people in my opinion. Also do you have a job or something you do for $? If not I suggest that. I go to school and do my own lawn care business along with b/s/t and other things for money and the work occupies a lot of the time, gives you money, and kind of a sense of fulfillment. At school maybe join some clubs etc.. you will meet people there as well too. Also parties at school are an option if that is your cup of tea (I have no taken part at school but parties in general get you near people). Not to say this will solve all problems or anything because my life still sometimes feels lacking people close to me but just some things that help me.

Before long, you'll find something that will give your life meaning and the desire to keep bettering yourself. It might take a couple years, it might take a decade. It doesn't matter what direction you go, just as long as its forward.

After high school I had no plan. That was partly mine and partly my parents fault. I ended up going to graphic design school on a whim. About half way through, I realized that just because I enjoy something as a hobby doesn't mean I will enjoy doing it 40 hours a week for a paycheck. But I stuck it out and graduated. Spent a couple years doing mostly freelance work here and there. Then finally I cracked and went to work for the family business (industrial supply) back in 2006....something I NEVER thought I would enjoy. 4 years later I bought it, on credit of course from my step-dad, and its been growing ever since. Ive got things in the works that are going to blow the roof off the place (hopefully)! Turns out I'm actually a pretty good business owner......the LAST thing I ever thought I would be.

I guess my point is follow your dream, but keep an open mind if its not what you were hoping. I think some of us have the ability to do things we never thought we were willing/capable of doing. So again, just keep moving forward. Your life is just starting to get interesting, man. Enjoy the new experiences, have some fun, work hard, and keep an open mind and you'll be fine.

I think partly what concerns me is a lack in friends. It's hard for me to make them and even harder to keep them. I'm not a terrible person towards them, it's just that most seem uninterested in me and what I do. I've been told before that I talk a lot for a guy, so I don't know.

I never had many friends, and there are very few people to this day that I would call "friends" I know a ton of people from church, scouts, and work, but I can probably count one hand how many I would contact outside of the settings I usually see them. Making friends - real friends - is hard, and you would be surprised at the number of people out there in the same situation.

You said Sharon is your best friend...nothing wrong with that. Jason (my husband) was actually my best friend first - I was dating one of his fraternity brothers, and he was dating one of my sorority sisters (so teen drama, I know) when both those realtionships went south, we ended up dating after a couple of months and the rest, as they say, is history.

I agree with looking for clubs on campus, its a great way to meet new people. I do have two questions -
1. Where are you going to school?
2. Is Sharon going to be there as well?

Glad to hear she is going with you. I asked about the school because I wanted to see what kind of greek organizations there were.
There are quite a few typical greek groups - the fraternities and sororities that most people think of, but that isn't for everyone. It was great for my husband, sucked for me. (If you think you might go that route, PM me and I can give you a head's up for rush week)
What a lot of people don't know about are the special interest fraternities...some of them are co-ed, so you and Sharon could join together. There is a chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia at UNT, you might want to check that out. I knew some people when I was in school that were very active in a music fraternity (not sure if its the same one), and they seemed to love it.
Bottom line...life does get more entertaining, but in different ways. Some of the things that would make me laugh in college would only make me roll my eyes now. In turn, I don't think any college students would find my life entertaining at all.
As for friends, having a couple of people that you can always count on and love to hang out with is worth a lot more than a vast social network, IMHO.

The majority of us change jobs at least 5 times in our lives and in your case you will have your intelligence to fall back on. Computers are very new in the scheme of things world wide. Cars are very old, planes are old and computers are very new. Getting a degree in computing or medical equipment technology is the way to go IMO. How far away is school.? Is your GF the same age and what are her plans.? AS you said you are starting the rest of your life, don't make it sound like the end!!!!

Do you know anyone in computer engineering? I would like to know if it's an interesting major to be in.

Not sure about the major itself but Jason just read somewhere the other day that in 10 years there will be something like 2 million coding jobs in the US, and less than half that number of people qualified to fill them.
He told our oldest daughter that she could be an archeologist if she wanted to, as long as she was an archeologist that could write code.

Interesting advice to say in the least. I've always wanted a daughter, but I don't know what I would want her to be.

She wants to be an archeologist, we want her to actually have a job that pays money...therefore a code-writing archeologist.

Of course, she is only 10. Last year she wanted to be an egyptologist, whatever that is.

You are an engineer in training. Engineers are a little reserved by nature so don't sweat the friends thing: you will make them when you start plying your trade.

You'd like more friends and you're already bored with life. Why would you want a job chained to a desk with minimal interaction with others?

No, you should go into Land Surveying. You get to work outside using a computer that you can program and you get to work in a party with a band of brothers. Now what can be funner than that? Sometimes you get to work with girls too. Tough girls that chew tobacco and belch out loudly when they drink beer. You'll get to dig up things, clear brush with a long machete, fend off wild animals and human beings, you'll get to play in traffic, and you get to use your mathematical skills.

I'm heading into my second year, also studying computer engineering. You meet a lot of people in college. I'm a real introvert, don't go out of my way to talk to people, but I met a good handful of people that I'd call close friends at this point. I totally get you though. My social life isn't especially filled to the brim, but I feel satisfied with the connections I've made so far.

I'd say life stops being boring when you find something you really love. Something you're so passionate about that it is your ultimate motivator. For me, it's knowledge. I've been learning web design and mobile app development this summer on my free time. Why? Because I love it. Because I feel so drawn to knowing things. I've been leisurely reading nonfiction about math and science. Again, why? Because I love the feeling of expanding my understanding of things, concepts. I suppose ultimately, what I'm really after is a sense of accomplishment. Bettering myself, like you mentioned.

Also, I hate to be a downer, but definitely try to find a THING that fulfills you so that you can be happy with and by yourself. People are wonderful, but they can come and go. Find something that will never leave you. Yeah that sounds cheesy, whatever.

Also, I hate to be a downer, but definitely try to find a THING that fulfills you so that you can be happy with and by yourself. People are wonderful, but they can come and go. Find something that will never leave you. Yeah that sounds cheesy, whatever.

Wish someone would have told me that when I was headed off to school. Not cheesy, quite wise.

Back