New heads...with a twist....

blastbeatkeeper

Hello, everyone! Ive decided Im going to try to trade in/sell the Imperialstars I picked up for a Benjamin and get new heads for my Sonor Phonics kit....seems simple enough, right? Well, heres the twist....the Phonics arent cut on the reso side. No bearing edges. I know I want to go single ply on the reso side to make up for no edges(right?) but im at odds with what I should go for on the batter side. Right now I have Pinstripes, but I want these things to sing a little more. I am running coated Ambs on the reso side right now. I was thinking maybe coated Emps batter and clear ambs reso? Anyone think that will sound good? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'd say cut some edges on it. I recently built my own router table to round over the edges on my drums. If you can find someone with a router table, I'd go for that.

Get some edges cut - it'll sound epic times better!

This kit has been an anomaly from the beginning. Either the gentleman who owned it before me ordered it in concert toms, and then installed the reso side lugs aftermarket. Or he just ordered it with no reso side bearing edges. I havent the foggiest.
When I took the snare apart for the first time to change the original snare side head and strainer, I found that he took rubber tubing, cut it to length of the reso side bearing edge, and stuffed it full of BB's, plugged it, then lined the top crease of the edge. He then took 10 Bic pens with no guts, and stuffed them in between the batter side bearing edge and the rubber tube with the BB's in it. I dont know why someone would do such a thing, but I brought the whole setup to my local shop, and they took pics of it. They worked on it for about 2 months before admitting that they were stumped on why he would do such a thing. But I digress...
Yea, getting the reso sides cut isnt really an option right now, so im just tryin to get by with what I got, and its working pretty well so far. I do need a couple new hoops, but i can still get good sound out of them. Just need new heads lol

Back