Song lyrics and other cloaked references

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
So I'm working on some guys kitchen today and I hear Rod Stewarts "Maggie May" for the 10 millionth time since birth and I wondered if there was anyone in particular this song was written about. Which led me to wonder about all the other questions I had about song lyric references and I thought this would make a pretty cool thread.
So for starters, who is Maggie May?
Also, what does 25 or 6 to 4 refer to? Anybody?

I'd also like to hear any other cool references that anybody can come up with.
Love the backstories.

I remember Rod Stewart talking about this on Story Tellers and it was about an older woman he had his first affair with If I recall.

25 or 6 to 4:00 is about the time. But does any one really know what time is was?

25 or 6 to 4 to four is just time?
I thought it would be way cooler than that, how lame lol.
But back on topic, Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" is about Warren Beatty, everybody knows that, but I'm sure there's lotsa songs out there that refer to someone and I don't even know it.
And we all know who Roseanna is too, but there's gotta be more...little help?

, but there's gotta be more...little help?

Well, this is a pretty wide open subject, and I could be here all day with useless bits of trivia on songs.

Many love songs are often inspired by someones crush or girlfriend (current or ex).

Journey:
Lovin,' Touchin,' Squeezin;' was about Steve Perry catching his girlfriend kissing another man.

Separate Ways was inspired by Perry watching two of his bandmates go through divorces.

Happy to Give was written by Perry about his mother, as she passed during the recording of the Raised on Radio album.

The Who
The "Tommy" story was (in part) about growing up in post-WWII England, and knowing his parents generation had lived through the bombings of London, yet no one ever talked about what it was like to go through such a horrible event. Although it was also inspired by other things as well.

Rush:
Subdivisions was written about the subdivisions of the suburbs where the band grew up.

I could go on......

Do we? All I know is that she appeared to have had triplets

<groooaaannnn>

+++++1!

Layla was about Mr. Clapton's mournful pining for Mr.George Harrison's wife ( later, he married her.. )

and Roxanne was about a french prostitute that Sting was 'inspired' by.

Michelle, by the Beatles was an instrumental piece, to which McCartney later slapped some lyrics together because he and Lennon used to ham French Bohemian accents and Lennon wanted to make it into a song.

They even got some French friends to help out with the French words.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha..........................

All I know was She was a fool in the Rain

Yes. That's because because it rained a lot in Babylon where she and her Sisters were staying when they all dated this loser guy having a major midlife crisis (such Fools). Once the relationship was over they were back Home at Last ... which was a relief, at least until the ultrasound ...

Guess I should contribute something sensible ... the awesome little rocker by Queen called Death on Two Legs was dedicated to their former manager. I expect there would be a number of cryptic hate songs inspired by ripoff managers.

Apparently 25 or 6 to 4 was about being absolutely nailed sometime a bit after 3:30am. He's wondering whether to go to bed or drop another tab.

I know The Beatle's "Hey Jude" is about John Lennons first son Julian.
Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is about founding member Syd Barrett.

And who can forget the musical missiles launched between John Lennon and Paul McCartney?

I can! I only remember Johns song "How Do You Sleep?"
What was Pauls?

Then there's Lynyrd Skynyrds public calling out of Neil Young in "Sweet Home Alabama"
in reply to Neil's "Southeren Man"

The Allman Brother's Eat a Peach album was named so because it was a peach truck that was involved in the motorcycle accident that claimed Duane...

BTW thanks Drummist for the informative link, I'll trust that source.

Ironically enough, if I have my facts straight, one year later, almost to the day, the Allmans bassist Berry Oakley died in a similar fashion as Duane, motorcycle accident...

This is all common knowledge, I know there's a ton more, but I can't think of any either right now.

Actually, 25 or 6 to 4 is about writing a song. At least, that's what Robert Lamm says. And since he wrote the song, it seems like he ought to know. Cite: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1842/what-does-the-chicago-lyric-25-or-6-to-4-mean

I believe Clapton's Tears in Heaven is about the death of his 5-year-old son, who fell out the window of a 50 story building.

I like this game but I can't think of any more right now.

that guy stole my line.lol

"Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens" was Louis Jordan's way of poking fun at the fear white men had that black men would steal their women.

Last edited:
Now I get it...25 or 26 till 4 o'clock.
I knew I could get satisfaction here.
What a great resource!
Thanks!

Now I get it...25 or 26 till 4 o'clock.
I knew I could get satisfaction here.
What a great resource!
Thanks!

Maybe it's his ATM password 250624 . . .

I'm sure everyone's aware of the "Paul is Dead" theory.

The Allman Brother's Eat a Peach album was named so because it was a peach truck that was involved in the motorcycle accident that claimed Duane...

Not true. I'm quoting this from Wikipedia, but I recently read the DA biography "Skydog" and it included the same information there.

The album name came from something Duane said in an interview shortly before he was killed. When asked what he was doing to help the revolution, Duane replied, "There ain't no revolution, it's evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace."

Not true. I'm quoting this from Wikipedia, but I recently read the DA biography "Skydog" and it included the same information there.

The album name came from something Duane said in an interview shortly before he was killed. When asked what he was doing to help the revolution, Duane replied, "There ain't no revolution, it's evolution, but every time I'm in Georgia I eat a peach for peace."

Whoops, my bad. I stand corrected. Thanks for that Mr 73.

I'm sure everyone's aware of the "Paul is Dead" theory.

Paul is dead?!?!?

Yeah, I know that one. But hearing about it after the fact (I was born in '73) I don't understand how is was perpetuated. Can any old hippies on here help me with that one?

Another lyric reference I know is that Collective Soul's 'Smashing Young Man' was supposedly written about Billy Corgan who claimed CS ripped off 'Shine' from him. Shine was written back in 1987, long before whatever Smahing Pumpkins song Billy was referring to.

Paul is dead?!?!?

Yeah, I know that one. But hearing about it after the fact (I was born in '73) I don't understand how is was perpetuated. Can any old hippies on here help me with that one?

Another lyric reference I know is that Collective Soul's 'Smashing Young Man' was supposedly written about Billy Corgan who claimed CS ripped off 'Shine' from him. Shine was written back in 1987, long before whatever Smahing Pumpkins song Billy was referring to.

It was a rumor started by some college students who had nothing better to do but smoke pot and analyze Beatles songs for clues of Paul's death. They said he had been replaced. The most famous clue was on the cover of Abbey Road where Paul is the only one barefoot and the VW bug says If 26, meaning if Paul were still alive he'd be 26. I think it was actually the Beatles making fun of the rumor. But it started with the cover of Sgt Peppers.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure The Beatles went along with it, because there are numerous lyrical references after that album.

On the cover of Sgt. Peppers, they're all standing over what looks like a grave with flowers shaped like a left handed bass, Paul is holding a black instrument and has a hand suspended over his head.
Abbey Road is supposed to be a funeral procession, where Paul is barefoot, eyes closed and out of step. (He's supposed to be a corpse)
On Magical Mystery Tour, they're wearing costumes, one of which is a black walrus, which is supposed to be a folk symbol of death.
In 'Glass Onion', John sings, "And here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul."

There's a ton more, and I always thought it was really cool because of the way they rode it.

Back