BattleArmor

Silver Member
I would just like to say, that this is the best movie I have ever seen in my entire life. Period.

By the way, if anyone plans on seeing it, you MUST see it in 3D

Brilliant visuals and sound. Just incredible. It transports you into another world. Even the predictable, occasionally banal, script and the cartoonish characters didn't diminish my enjoyment (much).

Not a perfect movie (what is?) but it was a buzz.

It's coping a lot of schtik from the conservatives who claim it tarnishes America's foreign policy. Having not seen it I am in the dark about such things.

It was also attacked the other day in an article on reuters because it confuses the meaing of the word Avatar, having it's meaning backwards.

I want to see it. I hope I don't forget before it's off the screen in 3 D.

Dancing with Smurfs.

Touché.
I really enjoyed the movie, it's a visual treat! But the storyline is nothing new. It was already done in dances with wolves... which, by the way, is also a must-see movie. I'm not saying it was bad. Not at all... but as a critic here in the netherlands stated: "the film might be three dimensional, the story and characters certainly aren't".

I thought it was really good. Yeah, really predictable but who cares, it looked awesome, i liked the characters, good action, and it didn't seem like a long drawn out movie even though it's almost 3 hours long.

No doubt, the movie was stunning visually but i have seen that movie before when it was called "Ferngully." This is the perfect "anti" movie.

I really enjoyed the movie, it's a visual treat! But the storyline is nothing new. It was already done in dances with wolves... which, by the way, is also a must-see movie.
That was my take on it too, and I think Dances With Wolves is a better movie. But Avatar is worth seeing for the visual effects. Cameron really has bad taste in music though. That song over the end credits had me literally running out of the theater.

That song over the end credits had me literally running out of the theater.

YES! Why on earth did James C choose that stinker? And it does matter. I remember how RATM at full volume at the end of the first Matrix movie was shocking and exciting. Just perfect, and it sealed the movie's atmosphere.

Sugary soft pop was absolutely the wrong choice for this movie. It was jarring in its inappropriateness. One of the people I saw the movie with reckoned it was designed to get people out of the cinema quickly so theatre staff could be cleaned up earlier for the next showing.

A Deep Forest style song would have been much better - both futuristic and organic-sounding.

BTW, Dancing with Smurfs is an old joke. A phrase search for it in Google gets 934,000 results :p

One of the people I saw the movie with reckoned it was designed to get people out of the cinema quickly so theatre staff could be cleaned up earlier for the next showing.
LOL, your friend might be on to something. It sure had me running for the doors.

Good call on the Rage song at the end of Matrix. Perfect.

I agree with the comments here, defiantly the 3D is the main appeal as the story line had a "Dancing with Wolves" sort of feel to it but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it moved at a very steady pace; it did not fell like close to 3 hours.
Just a few things though and they are not criticisms, I think Cameron might have lifted some ideas from other sources such as the bonding with the dragon like creatures; it reminded me very much of how they did it in a trilogy called "The Dragon Riders of Pern".
This was written by Anne McCaffrey and was popular in the 70's amongst science fiction and fantasy readers. The blue Navi made me think of an album by Kenny Young called "Last Stage for Silverworld" which had blue men and Navajo. These are just things I noticed and did not interfere with a very pleasurable movie experience. It will certainly be a game changer as the 3D technology is a step up from the other 3D offerings.
On a different note; congratulations tp the USA junior hockey team who won the junior world title against our Canadian team in overtime, didn't gry much coverage down your way but it is a big deal up here. If only we got that type of action during the regular NHL season. Should be a great tournament at the Olympics.

LOL, your friend might be on to something. It sure had me running for the doors.

Good call on the Rage song at the end of Matrix. Perfect.

Yeah, it's like putting a set together. Was it Maurice Chevalier who said something to the effect of: "If you start and finish with a bang then what happens in between is nobody's business"? (not exact words)

It's not critical, but it helps if the music during the closing credits carries over the flavour of the film (or in the case of The Matrix, enhances it). That bland pop track really killed the mood.

Would have been better if they found some exotic world music (indigenous alien music?) ... but then everyone would have stayed around. As it was, we all sat around talking and were the last to leave. Our singer, who's worked in film, reckoned that it was a game-changer and would be thought of in the same way as the first Star Wars film, which is what some of the critics have been saying.

Am I the only one here has has absolutely no interest in this film whatsoever?

No.. I like some of Camerons older movies(Terminator 1-2, Aliens and Abyss) but after Titanic I refused to see another film. I also think Avatars story is abit thin.

Terminator 1 and 2 are just fantastic films. Two of my favourites, especially the first one. I pretty much share your opinion on this!

The worse the script the better the eye candy needs to be, and vice versa. Ideally, movies/music/whatever art will have plenty of depth and sensory buzz but it doesn't happen often. The Terminator movies provided both, although I found their level of violence a turnoff at times.

Never understood that thing where if someone is torn to bits in an explosion that's just entertainment but if the camera catches a couple making love then THAT'S OBSCENE! Weird how societies can get their values so bent out of shape.

Sorry, just musing. I only meant to say that I can forgive crappiness if some other quality makes up for it. Same with music.

If got my joke, then you would have known that I have zero interest as well.

I'm not getting a baby sitter to go to the movie theater when I can wait for the DVD.

But if the movie is only good for the visuals, then it won't look good on my regular old TV.
So it seems pointless.

And why waste my time on a movie with a bad script?

Dances with Smurfs is all I need to know about it.

Back