Drum/Cymbal rack

Thrash Drummer

I'm looking to buy a drum rack in the next month or so to minimize setup time and keep memory on everything. I don't know if there are different levels of drum racks (like there are drums and cymbals), but I'm looking for something sturdy I can use live and in practice for pretty much my entire life.

What are some recommended drum racks?

If you want something sturdy that will last forever, the Pearl Icon racks. The square tubing means that nothing will slip over time. I don't use racks, but I've heard of people using racks with round tubing and over time the clamps start slipping.

I use a Pearl DR 80 rack , that's the old one. Rock solid , 7 piece set with 4 toms and 6 cymbals on it.(see avatar)
I also have 3 regular cymbal stands in case I use less drums and cymbals.
So if you have regular stands don't sell them all. Just a suggestion.

Pearl indeed. I have the DR-100, ancestor to the Icon. My lead singer used to sit on the front of the rack, part of the "stage show". The PC-10 clamp was/and still is my choice of rack clamp for the Pearl system. I sold all my clamps on eBay. $15-25 bucks each. If you need more versatility in a clamp, the PCX-200 clamp has a tilter, and is the most versatile of the Pearl clamps, though I never needed that extra feature.

I think people discredit round tube racks with out just cause. Sure the POTENTIAL for slippage is more probable, but with a little common sense, and proper set up, a round rack can be more flexible and just as sturdy. I have everything mounted off of my rack and have never had anything slip. I also play extremely hard. the trick is to not try to put more force on the clamps then necessary.Think of it this way: Hold your floor tom straight out from your body, arm extended. gets pretty heavy, pretty fast. Now hold it close to your body with your arm bent. Not near as bad. Now add your second hand. Easier yet. The same applies to a rack and its clamps. Add memory locks to the clamp and it'll never move. I don't understand why people want to skimp on hardware and then wonder why it doesn't hold up. You get what you pay for, especially when it comes to hardware. I have nothing against Pearl racks, have one myself. Just think the other side of the coin gets short changed. Here's a pic of one of my racks:

Attachments

• Humboldt 8.jpg
    Humboldt 8.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 4,507
I think people discredit round tube racks with out just cause. Sure the POTENTIAL for slippage is more probable, but with a little common sense, and proper set up, a round rack can be more flexible and just as sturdy....the trick is to not try to put more force on the clamps then necessary.... Add memory locks to the clamp and it'll never move.

And that's why I like the Pearl over round tube racks. Slippage with square tube is a "never probable". I've seen plenty of round tube "probables" in 20 some years and never seen a Pearl rack fail. And needing a "memory clamp" to keep the "hardware clamp" from slipping. That's totally unnecessary with the Pearl. No need for a secondary clamp to hold the primary clamp in place. With the Pearl, you need 1 clamp. Some people like the look of the round tube over the square, and if that's the case, buy the round tube.

I have nothing against Pearl racks, have one myself.

And that's why I like the Pearl over round tube racks. Slippage with square tube is a "never probable". I've seen plenty of round tube "probables" in 20 some years and never seen a Pearl rack fail. And needing a "memory clamp" to keep the "hardware clamp" from slipping. That's totally unnecessary with the Pearl. No need for a secondary clamp to hold the primary clamp in place. With the Pearl, you need 1 clamp. Some people like the look of the round tube over the square, and if that's the case, buy the round tube.

I agree the Pearl won't slip, but you also sacrifice some flexability. I like my Pearl rack and sometime curse its limitations, but it has never slipped. It just takes some thought sometimes getting things 'right' where you want them. Just trying to balance the scales...

Edit: I have never had slipping problems with my other round tube racks either.

I don't understand how square racks have limitations as opposed to round ones.

And yes you can mount your Tamas, I did.

Which is exactly why I mentioned the PCX-200 clamp "has a tilter" in post #4.

I use the tilter ones. The older ones that come with the 503 (or at least mine did) don't have all the available angles if it comes down to it. The angle ones are heavy duty too, no wimpy teeth. They hold great!

I'm using a PDP rack (with a couple Gibraltar pieces too). No slippage. Breaks down quickly for transport. Can be moved as an entire piece by two people (minus the bass drum and snares). I honestly believe it's cheaper than the Pearl, but when going with a rack, money shouldn't be your motive for going with or not going with a certain rack. Like anything else, you're gonna have to go look of yourself.

23799.jpg

Terry Bozzio uses the PDP...it's greatly enhanced and customized...but still the PDP.

23797.jpg

Last edited:
hi, i got a Pearl DR10 rack for my Mapex M kit, but as it turns out the tube that both the high toms attach to is just slightly too big to fit into the PC10 clamps. do pearl make a clamp that can accommodate larger diameter tubing, or is there a way to mount the two toms separately on a different apparatus, given that the way they are mounted is pretty weird?

Mapex kit with a high tom mounting identical to mine: http://i50.tinypic.com/20r2r8n.jpg

Back