Lars Ulrich

Re: Lars Ulrich and my valuable lesson in life

I thought this thread was going to be about someone learning their lesson after getting busted for using Napster!

I tend to make fun of his simplistic (boring) beats, but y'know, he gets the job do and that's what matters. Same with Ringo.

I've never come across a drummer with such lack on control over his hi-hat. All part of his sound I suppose.

Lars said himself that he thought he wasn't a good drummer. You can see he plays simple stuff, simple riffs, and most of the time it gets redundant. But yeah he's got energy. He doesn't really have the choice...

I dunno whether it's him playing but he killed it on the black album. To me it's honestly one of the best rock drumming albums around.

I will never again judge another drummer purely by their image or the opinions of others.

There's nothing worse than a pre-concieved idea about a person based on what we heard about him/her, seeing and hearing it ourselves is the only way to make our own judgement.

Judging a person based on gossip, hearsay and (often) exagerated stories and reputations is frequently missleading, don't judge a book by its cover.

Lars is a fine drummer, some like him, some don't, such is life, we're always the unloved of someone else.

I don't know much about Metal. I've never even attempted a blast beat, and I have no knowledge of finger technique except the use of fingers for rebound. But from what I've seen, the drummers who trash Lars Ulrich are those who idolize drummers like Joey Jordison, or Chris Adler. Drummers who are all speed and flash, but no real groove or technique. Lars is a groove drummer, just like Ringo Starr, or Charlie Watts. He is a time keeper.

Fills and flash are awsome if you can use them, but no matter what, Time Keeping is the number one concern. Any band seeking a drummer will look at your time keeping skills ahead of anything else. That's probably the only reason I can stay in a band - I can't really do any complex or over the top feels, but I've been called a 'Walking Metronome' by band mates numerous times.

This is Lars - he's got the right idea. I'm not a fan of Metallica, or even a fan of Lars, but the guy knows he's there to keep the band together, everything else is optional and NEVER required.

S&M is a fantastic example - I'd probably point it out as Lars being at the top of his game. I'm a huge fan, and have played along to more Metallica tunes than most people have spoken words - but even I must admit his playing has declined in recent years.

At the last 2 gigs of theirs I saw he was awesome, dynamic, driving - however when I watch videos of him that the band upload through their website/youtube I can't help but grimace a little occassionally.

But that being said, he's one of the 2 guys who wrote the vast majority of those awesome songs that I, and millions more, love. So what if he's getting old and out of practice! Still love the guy!

Used to worship the guy as a teenager- then I "grew up" and realised he's definitely not the best drummer in the world.
Still love Metallica but Lars is a business-man first and foremost with the drums coming a distant second.

S&M is a fantastic example - I'd probably point it out as Lars being at the top of his game. I'm a huge fan, and have played along to more Metallica tunes than most people have spoken words - but even I must admit his playing has declined in recent years.

At the last 2 gigs of theirs I saw he was awesome, dynamic, driving - however when I watch videos of him that the band upload through their website/youtube I can't help but grimace a little occassionally.

But that being said, he's one of the 2 guys who wrote the vast majority of those awesome songs that I, and millions more, love. So what if he's getting old and out of practice! Still love the guy!
I'd have to agree:
St Anger tour- absolute shocker
Death Magnetic tour- much improved but still with the obligatory mistakes here and there

But from what I've seen, the drummers who trash Lars Ulrich are those who idolize drummers like...Chris Adler. Drummers who are all speed and flash, but no real groove or technique.

If there is any metal that grooved, it's Lamb of God.

It`s sad to see how little historical perspective people have. Lars paved the way for generations of drummers. Lars has never claimed to be the best and if i remember correct he has shyed away from clinics cus he`s not confident enough in he`s abilities and feels that it would be stroking he`s own ego too much.
And as for the whole napster thing, many of the forum members again seem to be ignorant of history. The whole thing blew up into a greed issue, when the fact of the matter was that it was a question about artists owning the rights to their own music.
The napster issue just proved that long after metallica was deemed viable. They were still leading the pack.
It is amazing that artists (as i recon many of the forum members are) don`t see the importance of artists owning the rights to their own music.
If you are going to pursue music profesionally; how are you going to support yourself and your family if you can`t make money of your music?
As for Lars abilities the later part of 2000 it seems that age and family life has taking it`s toll on the man. He is a mere shadow of himself with regards to technique and he has been quite stagnant in he`s playing, but so has the rest of metallica.
I still get a kick when i listen to metallica, Lars has (had...) a unique style, almost symphonic in the way he`s drumming followed James guitar and vocals.

Regarding what you said about the artists and their rights, no one would disagree with you. I just remember Lars being a dick and extremely unlikable. He definitely didn't connect with the younger generation. At that point it didn't matter what his message was.

Now that I'm older and more mature, he just seems like an interesting guy. I definitely have no negativity towards him these days.

I will not discredit Lars's influence on other drummers and the many great Metallica songs, but I will say this: in resent years his live drumming does not groove and it not tight.
The other musicians in Metallica is many steps above him.
He is not that old and have no excuses.

And I'm also Danish -)

Lars said himself that he thought he wasn't a good drummer. You can see he plays simple stuff, simple riffs, and most of the time it gets redundant. But yeah he's got energy. He doesn't really have the choice...

He should have stuck to tennis ;-)

I give the guy credit for the road he paved for other drummers in his genre, as others have said. He played some great albums all of which I love too. He's a bit past his prime but at least he knows it..

Back