New Heads Aren't Resonating.

bfaaded

Hey guys.

So, I got new Evans EC2's for all my toms, and then Evans Coated G2's for the reso's on the toms. All of the toms EXCEPT for my 12 inch sound great. I tuned the 12 off of my drum kit and got it sounding decent, then put it on the mount and it was dead.. I have no idea what could cause this. My 10 inch tom did this a few months ago when I had shot heads.

Really I just don't know how to make it resonate.

Any ideas?

If it isn't tuning then it is how the tom is being mounted more than likely. Some pix of how you are mounting might help. I suspend mine with L rods down and tom mounting bracket as close to the L rod end as possible. A lot of drummers don't like this cause of the fear of it falling off. Been mounting toms like this for 25+ years and haven't lost a tom yet.

I will post some pictures in a minute.

I had them pretty low on the mount before, then I raised them up.. not much change.

Alright here are pics, sorry if this is a double post.

One is of my two rack toms, another is close up on the rack tom that is giving me trouble, and another is a close up on my 8 inch tom that is working fine.

Attachments

• DSC08694 (1024x680).jpg
    DSC08694 (1024x680).jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC08695 (680x1024).jpg
    DSC08695 (680x1024).jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC08696 (680x1024).jpg
    DSC08696 (680x1024).jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 219
So you are using ec2 batters and coated g2 for resos? That is a lot of head to vibrate. Try clear 1 ply reso.

What are some heads like that? I'm a beginner, sorry if that's a stupid question. xD

try a g1 clear reso. That is a single ply head. Using a 2ply reso is a tough way to get your toms to sing without tuning fairly high. I don't know too many drummers that use 2ply resos but some love the control, especially on floor toms.

So, if I'm looking for a fairly low tuning I should go 1 ply?

Unless you're after a very particular sound, I would start with a single ply 10 mil clear head for your resonant head. I sometimes use a single ply coated resonant head, but usually stick with clear resonant heads such as an Evans G1 clear or Remo Ambassador clear. These are both 10 mil heads. I sometimes use 2 ply heads only as batters. Again, nothing is ever in stone, but these are very good starting points that should go well with your EC2s if you want a slightly controlled sound.

Dennis

I don't have an issue with the G2's on the resonant side. I've been doing that for years (with either G2s or Remo Emperors). Perhaps if it's a mounting issue, put the drum on the mount and tune it there. It's always going to ring more when it's off the mount. In the old days (when I used to walk ten miles to school through the snow with no shoes) I would put the new heads on and get them ballparked, and then put them on the bass drum mount and fine tune from there because you had to. It doesn't look like you have a suspension mount for the toms so you'll have to tune the resonance into it.

How would you suggest I get it to resonate more?

I think I'll try tightening the G2 tomorrow.. if that doesn't work I'll just tune higher for now.

Unless you're after a very particular sound...nothing is ever in stone, but these are very good starting points that should go well with your EC2s if you want a slightly controlled sound.

Dennis

True. If that double ply reso was the sound you wanted then just tweak the tuning. To me though, it sounds like you might just want to throw some G1 clears on the reso and call it a day.

I don't know too many drummers that use 2ply resos but some love the control, especially on floor toms.

i used coated 2ply's on my floor toms, gives them extra balls, but on my bass drum i use a regulator (1ply) because of the pre muffling... i think ill just go back to stock tama heads (2ply) and like cut out an extra plastic ring and put it inside or something.

I don't think it's the heads, but a combination of the shell mount and the tuning. I think a combination of tuning with it already mounted and a generally higher tuning will probably fix the dead sound.

Yeah, I just tuned it higher and it sounds great...

But, if I wanted to tune my toms low, I would need a 1 ply reso head?

If I may interject at this point of the thread only to mention that your 12" tom placement for some reason makes it difficult to hear it resonating from where you are sitting. Take your 12" tom and put it where your 10" tom goes. and hit it again. Or make your 12" tom a floor tom andsee what how it sounds. Have you heard your 12" tom through a pa system? how does it sound? does it resonate? I guarantee you its placement only and not to worry about it. From out there it resonates just as much as your 10" tom if not more.

Back