Ipods and mp3 players question

Gotcha GDU. Bummer is I already bought it some time ago. Be good to have an MP3 that acts as a flash drive.

How generic is the output connector? I have a docking station which fits the iPod.
Polly, I always have my 3G phone with me. I have 8 gig of memory on my phone. I use my phone as a flash drive. I either use bluetooth or a usb cable to get the info to and from other computers. That is another option that people frequently overlook. I also have software that allows my phone to contact my sleeping computer and access files from it whenever I want them.
A 3G phone is a much better device than an iPod when it comes to sharing data. The phone can be so many things! It took me a while to realize this. I bought my LG Dare phone for use as a phone. I didn't think of it as a device for transporting data. I hooked my phone to my computer via usb and bluetooth. I made many discoveries afterwards! Us older folks have to change our way of thinking about a mobil phone as a phone. The technology for these devices has changed so much in just a short while. Experiment with your phone. What phone do you currently use?

Last edited:
Gotcha GDU. Bummer is I already bought it some time ago. Be good to have an MP3 that acts as a flash drive.

How generic is the output connector? I have a docking station which fits the iPod.

Its interesting. It has a standard 1/8" headphone jack which works with any standard 3-conductor earbud plug, but it's also used by the USB cable, wich has four conductors. It's really quite slick, if you ask me.

Its interesting. It has a standard 1/8" headphone jack which works with any standard 3-conductor earbud plug, but it's also used by the USB cable, wich has four conductors. It's really quite slick, if you ask me.

Sorry, I didn't express it right. I meant the (female) dock connection on the bottom of iPods - it's about an inch long. The cable has a USB connector at the other end. Is that connector generic or exclusive?

Sorry, I didn't express it right. I meant the (female) dock connection on the bottom of iPods - it's about an inch long. The cable has a USB connector at the other end. Is that connector generic or exclusive?
mp3 players come with a usb cable. You can also buy cables for mp3 players from other vendors. They do differ from player to player.
I have a car stereo that my iPod plugs into. It uses an iPod usb cable. I can control the pod from the face of the radio. I can see the song list from the iPod on the face of the car radio. The iPod stays tucked away in the glove box.
My phone also connects to the car stereo via bluetooth.
I love it!

Last edited:
Let me ask you this: Do you own an Ipod, or a different MP3 player? I just happen to be a teenager as well, and morning busses are veritable seas of Ipods. Coincidence? Say yes, I dare you.

I had some brand of mp3 player, then my brother gave me his old shuffle.

I know, loads of kids have ipods. But I was never given crap about having an mp3.

See, this is what I'm talking about. My MP3 player acts like a flash drive or mass storage device.

Thats it.

Mine does too. It's an 8gb iriver and works great. But I want a higher capacity. What kind do you have? Capacity?

All this apple stuff sounds like a giant pita when it could be so simple. I've also heard horror stories about connecting 2 different ipods to the same computer and getting the libraries crossed up because of itunes. More than I want to deal with.

Back