How Do You Get In Shape?

con struct

Platinum Member
One of the main reasons I joined this board was to address something that's been bothering me, something that's been affecting my drumming. So I'm just going to come out and say it.
Lately when I play I feel stiff afterwards. Finally I realized that age is catching up with me. Aside from drumming I've never been a physical person, and now I think I need to change that.
I have no idea about how to work out. I've never played sports, never gone to a gym, nothing like that. I'm in good health and I'm slim enough (size 31 jeans), but there's a bit of stuff around my middle that just has to go, I need to trim down and get stronger and looser, get more muscle and less, well, flab. Playing the drums just isn't enough.
What I need is a place to start, some kind of idea of how to develop a fitness routine that will produce results (God, I can't believe I'm actualy saying this.)
If anyone here knows anything about such things and how they relate to playing the drums I'd very much like to hear what they have to say.
What I want is to be able to play like I did twenty years ago, with that kind of stamina and looseness. Back then I took it for granted. It turns out that this was a big mistake.

20 minutes a day on a eliptical trainer 20 minutes with dumb bells and 15 minutes on a heavy bag keeps my 50 year old butt going. try it it will give you lots of drumming stamina

20 minutes a day on a eliptical trainer 20 minutes with dumb bells and 15 minutes on a heavy bag keeps my 50 year old butt going. try it it will give you lots of drumming stamina

I Googled eliptical trainer and wow, those are expensive. Anyway I wouldn't have room here for that and/or the boxing bag. But thank you very much, I'll keep those in mind.

First......Go to a doctor and tell him what you want to do. I don't know your age but you need to consult with a doctor before starting any exercise program. Sounds like a tv ad but it's so true. Let him prescribe a program or some limits may be in order. Just like drumming rudiments, it won't happen over night. Good luck.

One thing I'd absolutely recommend is swimming. It has done wonders for me. And, well, you have to coordinate the kicking of your legs with the stroking of your arms, all the while coordinating your breathing. Highly helpful for us drum hitters.

I keep good eating habits, drink enough water, go for a walk, I play the drums at room temperature (if weather allows it) for a good sweat (1-hour). Also my job at a drilling rig unit, demands strong mental and physical condition.

Cheers,

First......Go to a doctor and tell him what you want to do. I don't know your age but you need to consult with a doctor before starting any exercise program. Sounds like a tv ad but it's so true. Let him prescribe a program or some limits may be in order. Just like drumming rudiments, it won't happen over night. Good luck.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that I recently had a check up and I'm healthy as a horse. He said by all means I can get into working out with no worries, said it would do me a lot of good.
I guess it would be pertinent to point out that I'm, well, poor. Couldn't afford any nice excercise gear and wouldn't have the room for it anyway.
Maybe I should just start lifting bricks while I go for long walks.

All good advice, Swimming and biking are very good and not jarring on your joints, unless you wreck the bike. lol.

Eating right, taking walks, jogs. Going for a swim and biking. If you incorporate these daily, you'll see results and it doesn't take long. Weightlifting is good, BUT you NEED to consult a trainer first, poor form on weights will realy hurt you. you can tear or strain Muscles, ligaments, do joint damage etc and you don't need to be pushing heavy weights to do said damage.

Good luck.

Ride a bike to work if it's not too far or dangerous, and go swimming on a regular base. Even recreational swimming is pretty intense.

I have no idea man. Lucky for me I'm going through puberty so can eat enormus amounts of food and still weigh the same i've weighed for about 2 years. Maybe go down to your gym and enroll in a sports program, me personally is basketball. Being 5 11 and playing with 10-14 year olds doesn't hurt haha.

I have no idea man. Lucky for me I'm going through puberty so can eat enormus amounts of food and still weigh the same i've weighed for about 2 years. Maybe go down to your gym and enroll in a sports program, me personally is basketball. Being 5 11 and playing with 10-14 year olds doesn't hurt haha.

Ooh, that's mean. But yeah, I remember being that age and looking like a pencil. Enjoy it while you've got it. Now puberty, that's a whole other issue. Wouldn't want to have to go through that again.

Nobody has mentioned Yoga! Not something I practice (I wish I had time with coursework deadlines approaching and stress going through the roof) but if you're feeling stiff then I suggest that it will be of great help and mentally calm you as well.

Of all the suggestions above, swimming is the one I would agree with the most, although none of them are bad!

Nobody has mentioned Yoga! Not something I practice (I wish I had time with coursework deadlines approaching and stress going through the roof) but if you're feeling stiff then I suggest that it will be of great help and mentally calm you as well.

Of all the suggestions above, swimming is the one I would agree with the most, although none of them are bad!

my sister did a bit of yoga while at uni.

YOGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad someone mentioned it.

I've been doing it for 3 months now and feel fantastic. Its helped me to get back in shape (along with swimming,) its calmed me down alot (i get very anxious so i need to learn to calm down) and its helped me develop a better understanding of my own mind and body.

Its also reminded me of the beauty of allowing time for doing what you love. My teacher is never in a rush - he said that since he started yoga practice 20 years ago he's never rushed. Its helped me not to rush through drum exercises and cherish them for what they are.

Just something i forgot to mention in the last msg.

The hardest thing about doing yoga, for me was getting started. There was a period of about 3 years where i'd buy certain books, watch dvds and try to work out a routine at home. Its only since joining a regular class and committing to one night per week that i've started doing it properly. Everyone's different though eh?

Swimming and running are arguably the best aerobic exercise. Swimming involves the whole body. And unless the nearest pool charges admission, its cheap because all you need is a swimsuit and a towel. Running is second best because it too is cheap, all you need are running shoes, shorts, and a t-shirt. Be cautious, however, if your knees are giving you problems. I got knee tendinitis 3 years ago and had to stop running completely :-(

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=VinceDelMonte&view=videos&start=160 watch this guys videos. His main goal in the vids are to help people lose fat and put on muscle.

Dont just start watching random videos. Start from the begining.

One thing to rememeber is, doing the same workout over and over will produce less and less results. You must keep changing your work out. For example, if you are just doing situps, then you might lose a little fat around your abdominals, and your abs might become more muscular, but eventually they will adapt and your progress will slow down then eventually stop. By changing the workout, you are using the muscles in different ways, and you will feel more of a burn. The more you do of a workout, the less burn you will get because your muscles adapt to the burn.

Follow this guys tips and you are sure to see great results.

Back