KickPort D-Port?

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I installed a KickPort today, and I couldn't believe the immediate difference it made. My kick sounds incredible compared to how it did before.

Then I remembered reading about the D-Port. did these ever get released? Has anybody tried them out? I can't find any information on them

Dunno about the D-port but I definitely can attest to the KickPort's killer sound. It makes perfect sense though. A subwoofer port focuses the right frequencies to "hit" and this does the same. They are making smaller versions for tom and snare heads too! That might create some create some nice, focused sounds but as often as a lot of guys change heads, it might be a pain to constantly be installing them.

Dunno about the D-port but I definitely can attest to the KickPort's killer sound. It makes perfect sense though. A subwoofer port focuses the right frequencies to "hit" and this does the same. They are making smaller versions for tom and snare heads too! That might create some create some nice, focused sounds but as often as a lot of guys change heads, it might be a pain to constantly be installing them.

The D-Ports are the smaller tom ports, if I'm not mistaken. I would be worried about how much they would dampen the head, but I always buy heads with built-in dampening, so I could just get heads without. I would be more than happy to reinstall them on new heads if they would make the kind of difference that they do for a kick drum

EDIT: I did a little more research and found that they got rid of the name D-Port, and just started calling them the FX series. It says they were to be released in 2013, but I can't find them for sale anywhere

Last edited:
EDIT: I did a little more research and found that they got rid of the name D-Port, and just started calling them the FX series. It says they were to be released in 2013, but I can't find them for sale anywhere

They did a big reveal at the recent NAMM if I'm not mistaken. Honestly, I can't fathom wanting a kick drum sound from your toms, but if you do, then sure.

They did a big reveal at the recent NAMM if I'm not mistaken. Honestly, I can't fathom wanting a kick drum sound from your toms, but if you do, then sure.

Well, I wouldn't imagine it to be a 'kick drum sound'. It's just supposed to enhance the low end reseponse and clarity.

Saw those tom ports 2 or 3 shows ago at NAMM, I assumed they gave up on them. Somehow, in contrast to using it on a kick, altering a smaller head that really needs to resonate as part of an open tom sound, just doesn't seem like a good idea. Let's say on a 13" tom, that smaller port takes up a lot of real estate, and definitely affects the resonance of that head. Of course, the resulting sound may be desirable, in the same way putting a pillow or blanket inside a kick was once frowned upon, yet became a very common thing. Then again, a kick is intended to make a different sound than a tom...

Bermuda

Well, I wouldn't imagine it to be a 'kick drum sound'. It's just supposed to enhance the low end reseponse and clarity.

I could see a possible use on a floor tom, but what I mean by the 'kick drum sound isn't the FX Port itself, but the physical port in the drum- which drastically decreases resonance (esp. on smaller toms) like Bermuda mentioned. If you wanna try one, more power to you!

Back