my sonor designer

Dude, who are you? My twin?! hahaha! That's my dream set up! Exactly even down to hardware!

Lovely kit, man! I love the Sonor Designers, they are awesome!

I love your finish, allmost the same as mine (yours look a bit better though) Green maples for everyone!

Wim Coppers said:
hello everybody,

i've been reading on the forum for a while now, and it's about time i participate and do my share of the writing. that's what a forum is all about isn't it?

so, my first post should be my sonor stained green designer maple light shell kit. needless to say, i absolutely love this kit to death and i'll play it until i lose my arms and legs in some weird accident.

s1.jpg

s3.jpg

s8.jpg

here are the specs:

22x22" bassdrum
14x4" snare
14x4" snare (gretch renown maple)
8x8" tom
10x8" tom
12x10" tom
14x12" floor tom
16x14" floor tom
skins: remo coated ambassador (batter skin), remo clear ambassador (resonant skin)

zildjian 10" zil-bel
zildjian 15" avedis mastersound hihat
zildjian 16" avedis medium crash
zildjian 18" avedis rock crash
zildjian 20" scinitar ride
zildjian 20" Z custom china boy

paiste 8" chime
paiste 10" alpha splash
paiste 14" alpha hihat

sabian 10" B8 splash
sabian 16" crash
sabian 16" HH dark crash
sabian 22" ride

hardware: mostly sonor, but i have some adams/pearl stands and seats as well.

iron cobra double bass drum pedal and a pearl single pedal

and all the hardcases to transport this monster!

btw: not everything is pictured, this is just a pic of my current set up. i even like to play with my sonor as a four piece kit and 1 or 2 crashes from time to time, keeps you creative!

i hope you'll like it, now go and play yours!

Wim.

Wow!, really cool! keep groovin´

I have never seen that color finish on a Sonor before! That is an elegant finish, and a very nice backdrop for a photo! The sunlight really brings out the color. That kit is amazing! I hope you are in the gallery at www.sonormuseum.com.

I have so much gear-envy right now that even a heavy prescription of cowbell can't fix.

But seriously, that kit is gorgeous. My concept of my dream kit has just been altered a bit, thanks to you.

Biz

Wim - amazing kit! I am also a Designer owener (I have the Vintage Maple shelled version myself) and I wouldnt part with it for anything!

For your info, the top veneer you have is birdseye maple, which is then stained and lacquered.

i didn't hear a SQ2 so far, but they look great. it's going to be hard to sound better than a designer. i'm curious if they do!
They needed to upgrade the Designer Series, because its been around since 1992 (if Im correct) very few changes since then. The SQ2 is replacing the Designer. It will still give as good a sound as Designer, but with slightly modified components and more construction choices and finish options.

WOW What a great set ,the Sonor Designer series are amazing . i like the set up and the finish... but ' i don't like the hardware ... the toms \ floors mounts.
Great set
take care

thanks guys!

DamoSyzygy, you've had the change to play one of them SQ2 kits? and if anybody has ever played a X-ray designer/SQ2, i'm dying to know how they play/sound!

take the best of care, keep on groovin'!

Actually (youre gonna hate me for this!) I played the SQ2 made for Jojo Mayer when he toured here in promotion of the SQ2. They do sound amazing. Personally for me, Id still prefer a Designer over them though - There are a few things theyve altered which were (in my opinion) better the way they were.

DamoSyzygy, that's awesome! Jojo is wonderful musician, cool that you got the change to play his kit. unity!

yeah, i've been reading a lot about the SQ2, and there seem to be some things that didn't change for the best. i'm sure i'm going to keep this set for the rest of my life, no SQ2 can ever change that.

by the way, i've been hearing here and there that sonor will stop selling designers with SQ2 on the rise. but it's pretty hard to believe. anyone?

take care!

SQ2 is replacing the Designer series, and I believe after this year you will not be able to order Sonor Designers anymore. They are to be completely phased out.

As far as add-on components and replacement parts for Deisgner, Sonor will still make them for at least another 2 years.

thanks Damo, that's good to know because i think i'm going to order some extra designer hardware (even if i'm pretty sure that this hardware will actually last a lifetime). too bad sonor will stop making that. i've heard that the hardware is the biggest "problem" with the SQ2.

anyway, designers have been around since 1994 if i'm not mistaken, that is time enough to get your hands on one!

take care!

since this has been my set up for about half a year now, i decided to take some pics and share them with you guys. especially for those "big central post tom-mounting thing-haters" hehe. just the 10" tom and the 14" floor.

cymbals are:
zildjian 15" avedis mastersound hihat
zildjian 16" avedis medium crash
zildjian 18" avedis medium ride

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

check this green out! FUGLY !

4.jpg

i'm still saving for some Zildjian K Constantinople cymbals but in the mean time, i'm really satisfied with these cymbals. they are light enough for jazzy stuff and still good for the obliged heavy banging once in a while.

thanks for watching and take the best of care y'all!

I have checked out the SQ2, Delite and S Classix, and I love the Designer. My designer snares are incredible. I will own a Designer within the month.

That's a great kit.

Back